Matt Nickerson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
If he was Hulse, I would be thrilled as the Stars could have Daley and Fransson to move the puck. Belle and Grossman to be solid skaters stay at homes, Fistric to be a Matvichuk type and Nickerson to be a bit of an intimadator. Guys like Erskine Jancevski Waugh as 6/7 guys are also in the system. Perhaps the only part of the Stars system with real promise. We will see next year in Iowa where Waugh, Belle and Nickerson could be there and perhaps Fistric

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Hossa said:
If by Houston you mean the AHL, I don't think he's in any way ready for that level. He seems to struggle with the QMJHL pace, so I can't imagine he'd do better in the AHL. He's a project, which is what he was when he was drafted, and what he remains today. I completely agree with La-la's assessment that he's too big, it was obvious in watching him. He's not a bad guy to have in the organization, but there's absolutely no reason to be excited about Nickerson.

Well that fact that he weighs 257lbs(as La-la said) probably plays a role with him struggling with the pace, because when I saw him with the Tornadoes before he was drafted, i was quite surprised at his mobility considering his size. He just needs to get back down to around 235. And I completely agree he's a project who is going to take time. Nothing wrong with that however.

leafaholix*

Starsdude said:
If he was Hulse, I would be thrilled as the Stars could have Daley and Fransson to move the puck. Belle and Grossman to be solid skaters stay at homes, Fistric to be a Matvichuk type and Nickerson to be a bit of an intimadator. Guys like Erskine Jancevski Waugh as 6/7 guys are also in the system. Perhaps the only part of the Stars system with real promise. We will see next year in Iowa where Waugh, Belle and Nickerson could be there and perhaps Fistric
It would take a miracle if any more than 3 of those guys became NHL regulars.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Hossa said:
If by Houston you mean the AHL, I don't think he's in any way ready for that level. He seems to struggle with the QMJHL pace, so I can't imagine he'd do better in the AHL. He's a project, which is what he was when he was drafted, and what he remains today. I completely agree with La-la's assessment that he's too big, it was obvious in watching him. He's not a bad guy to have in the organization, but there's absolutely no reason to be excited about Nickerson.

Sounds a lot too tubby and lost at the Junior level to project beyond the Q... Too often big players are held onto in the hope of a late blooming miracle. I can't think of many players considered behind the play in junior that ended up being big leaguers.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Thanks for your input :shakehead
There aren't many organizations that have more than 3 defensemen prospects make it into the NHL as regulars. Much less a decent group like the Stars have, not great... so I don't see how my comment is completely wrong.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Bring Back Bucky said:
Sounds a lot too tubby and lost at the Junior level to project beyond the Q... Too often big players are held onto in the hope of a late blooming miracle. I can't think of many players considered behind the play in junior that ended up being big leaguers.

Again, the fact that he's put on almost 30 pounds since being drafted certainly doesnt help him on the ice. It he stays at 257, he definately isnt going anywhere. But if he gets himself back down to around 235, he'll be able to keep uo with the play much better(like he did before he was drafted). Its just up to him if he wants to put in the work to lose that extra weight.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Chaos said:
Again, the fact that he's put on almost 30 pounds since being drafted certainly doesnt help him on the ice. It he stays at 257, he definately isnt going anywhere. But if he gets himself back down to around 235, he'll be able to keep uo with the play much better(like he did before he was drafted). Its just up to him if he wants to put in the work to lose that extra weight.

Forgive the ignorance, exactly how tall is he??

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
There aren't many organizations that have more than 3 defensemen prospects make it into the NHL as regulars. Much less a decent group like the Stars have, not great... so I don't see how my comment is completely wrong.

Well Daley has already made it and would be there now if not for the idiots running things. You are one of the bigger Fransson fans around here, touting him as a two way top pairing defenseman. I believe(although not 100% sure) that you have said Belle will make it as a bottom pairing defensive guy because he doesnt have the head to produce much offensively(Again, thats just off the top of my head with what I remember you saying, which could be wrong). The Swedish posters have had nothing but positives about Grossman, comparing him to Norstrom(they said it, not me), and he plays a very NHL style of play(physical defensive game). And I believe Fistric was said to be one of the most NHL-ready players in the draft(even if he doesnt have the highest upside).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Bring Back Bucky said:
Forgive the ignorance, exactly how tall is he??

6'4(hockeydb.com) or 6'5(Victoriaville website), depending on where you look.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Chaos said:
6'4(hockeydb.com) or 6'5(Victoriaville website), depending on where you look.

257 is big then. Did he overdo the weights or is he on the Bring Back Bucky donair diet?? That's a lot of gain on that frame. It can't all be blubber or he wouldn't be seeing ice time, but even if it's mostly muscle, I can understand the disparity between the versions of those of you who saw him skate pre and post gain.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Bring Back Bucky said:
257 is big then. Did he overdo the weights or is he on the Bring Back Bucky donair diet?? That's a lot of gain on that frame. It can't all be blubber or he wouldn't be seeing ice time, but even if it's mostly muscle, I can understand the disparity between the versions of those of you who saw him skate pre and post gain.

Exactly...when I saw him, he was around 230 and was a pretty solid skater/mobility. I couldnt tell you what happened since he's been up there for a while now. My guess is that he got a bit lazy with the workouts and took up some junk food. Wow, we are agreeing on something....this has to stop ;)

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Well Daley has already made it and would be there now if not for the idiots running things. You are one of the bigger Fransson fans around here, touting him as a two way top pairing defenseman. I believe(although not 100% sure) that you have said Belle will make it as a bottom pairing defensive guy because he doesnt have the head to produce much offensively(Again, thats just off the top of my head with what I remember you saying, which could be wrong). The Swedish posters have had nothing but positives about Grossman, comparing him to Norstrom(they said it, not me), and he plays a very NHL style of play(physical defensive game). And I believe Fistric was said to be one of the most NHL-ready players in the draft(even if he doesnt have the highest upside).
I really like Johan Fransson and some of what I've seen from Nik Grossman, but I can't see Daley being anything more than a #5, I'd put Belle in the same category.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
I really like Johan Fransson and some of what I've seen from Nik Grossman, but I can't see Daley being anything more than a #5, I'd put Belle in the same category.

Lets just say you are right on Daley(which I dont think you are, but just for this point, say you are, as arguing with you on it will probably lead to us both being warned and/or banned :D )....thats 4 guys right there. Doesnt that kind of kill your "more than 3" argument ;) .

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Chaos said:
Exactly...when I saw him, he was around 230 and was a pretty solid skater/mobility. I couldnt tell you what happened since he's been up there for a while now. My guess is that he got a bit lazy with the workouts and took up some junk food. Wow, we are agreeing on something....this has to stop ;)

Give me a couple of minutes, I'l come up with some story about how he got so fat..

A bit of weight makes a huge difference. When Georges Laraque is off the donuts for a while, he can be absoutely dominant on the boards. When he's on the double whoppers he's almost invisible. You always wonder how the young kids who are that close to a dream let weight, smoking, booze, etc get in the way. Ah, well, easy for me to say, I just polished off 5 pieces of pizza...

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Bring Back Bucky said:
A bit of weight makes a huge difference. When Georges Laraque is off the donuts for a while, he can be absoutely dominant on the boards. When he's on the double whoppers he's almost invisible. You always wonder how the young kids who are that close to a dream let weight, smoking, booze, etc get in the way. Ah, well, easy for me to say, I just polished off 5 pieces of pizza...

More agreement from me. What people are seeing now(like Carl'O, Hossa, and others) is Nickerson at a weight he will never get anywhere at(and that he shouldnt be at). I'm wondering if any of them saw him when he was at 230 and was a much, much better player than it seems he is now. And this isnt just a bit of weight either. When he was playing with the Tornadoes, he was about 230. Thats 27 pounds he's put on.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Lets just say you are right on Daley(which I dont think you are, but just for this point, say you are, as arguing with you on it will probably lead to us both being warned and/or banned :D )....thats 4 guys right there. Doesnt that kind of kill your "more than 3" argument ;) .
Having hope for a prospect and reality are two totally seperate things.

I have hope Fransson and Grossman make it... much like many had hope for Lars Jonsson back a couple years ago. I think Shawn Belle will make it because of his size and skating as a defensive defenseman in the #6/7 slot, #5 at best.

I also think Daley upside is #5'ish.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
Having hope for a prospect and reality are two totally seperate things.

I have hope Fransson and Grossman make it... much like many had hope for Lars Jonsson back a couple years ago. I think Shawn Belle will make it because of his size and skating as a defensive defenseman in the #6/7 slot, #5 at best.

I also think Daley upside is #5'ish.

You know Im trying to avoid arguing with you about this, but you just keep baiting me with it. I read it the 1st time.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
You know Im trying to avoid arguing with you about this, but you just keep baiting me with it. I read it the 1st time.
lol, no... that wasn't my intent.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Chaos said:
More agreement from me. What people are seeing now(like Carl'O, Hossa, and others) is Nickerson at a weight he will never get anywhere at(and that he shouldnt be at). I'm wondering if any of them saw him when he was at 230 and was a much, much better player than it seems he is now. And this isnt just a bit of weight either. When he was playing with the Tornadoes, he was about 230. Thats 27 pounds he's put on.

Regardless of whether he could move better at 230 rather than 257 or whatever, he doesn't have the hockey sense or skill to be much of a player in the NHL. His stride is at best average, so whether or not his foot speed could improve with better conditioning, he's not Ben Eager or anything. I could see him making the NHL, but it's not going to be as some sort of Derian Hatcher type. He just doesn't have it in him.

leafaholix*

Hossa said:
Regardless of whether he could move better at 230 rather than 257 or whatever, he doesn't have the hockey sense or skill to be much of a player in the NHL. His stride is at best average, so whether or not his foot speed could improve with better conditioning, he's not Ben Eager or anything. I could see him making the NHL, but it's not going to be as some sort of Derian Hatcher type. He just doesn't have it in him.
Would you say his upside is in the ballpark of a Wade Belak, Eric Cairns type of defenseman in the NHL?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
Would you say his upside is in the ballpark of a Wade Belak, Eric Cairns type of defenseman in the NHL?

He could be more useful than Belak, and less of a complete fool than Cairns. So I could see him being a sixth defenceman, but nothing more. If he works at his game hard, and makes the proper adjustements, he can play a regular shift in the NHL, which I wouldn't want Belak or somebody like Chris McAllister to do for sure.

leafaholix*

Hossa said:
He could be more useful than Belak, and less of a complete fool than Cairns. So I could see him being a sixth defenceman, but nothing more. If he works at his game hard, and makes the proper adjustements, he can play a regular shift in the NHL, which I wouldn't want Belak or somebody like Chris McAllister to do for sure.
That's basically what I've said all along.

I've been getting this junk that he has top 4 potential... which is a joke.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:

Anything can happen. Andy Sutton defied all logic and turned into a top four d-man. Obviously expansion has given other guys like Sutton the opportunity to thrive in a top four role. But Sutton was not thought to have that type of potential, and really shouldn't be a top four guy in a less-watered down league. So, anything can happen I guess, but at this point, Nickerson hasn't showed me the tools to be more than what I suggested above.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:

Wait...so you are telling me there is disagreement on the potential of a prospect? Since when did that start happening ;) .

The above contains a heavy dose of sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad