Matt Murray's Glove Hand

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So shouldn't this thread title be changed to "Matt Murray's Everything"? Dude has not had a good year and a half :(.

I hope he gets it back together and returns to being the goalie he used to but if he doesn't well at least we got two cups out of him. Can't complain even if he's a turd from here on out.

There’s been potential reasons. Concussion/injury, Dad dying, team taking nights off, Fleury moving on, now goalie equipment changes,

Maybe he won’t be as good as we hoped but he’s done enough to let it play out and give him the opportunity to bounce back.

If he doesn’t improve all year we can move on or sign him for cheap and sign a good back up, De Smith seems to be that guy that could work in a 1A/1B situation at the moment.

Just got to let it play out.

Reactions: Pancakes

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I haven't given up hope with Murray completely, but i'm getting close to that point.

Eventually you are what you are.

If his season doesn't turn around this year i don't know how you can go into next year with him being the starter and expecting anything to change.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Different with goalies.

When you're a player and you have a concussion (first, not all of them are the same, each head injury is unique and different), you can skate and bump players and get back to that comfort in practice. But a goalie, he's going to get bumped, he's going to take shots off his helmet, he's going to whip his neck to the side to see a shot, get out of the way of a high shot, get up, get down in jarring movements, move side to side fast and then back up...

Have you had a concussion?

I have, the thought of the goalie movements almost makes me want to throw up thinking about while coming off of a concussion. Not many goalies look good after coming back from one. GO and look at how many goalies have had a concussion and look at their level of play after they come back.

Go look at the following:

Corey Crawford (missed 300 days with a concussion) - 3.07GAA, .901 SV% since he's been back. Terrible teams can still have goalies with solid numbers, Crawford is an elite goalie, but his numbers since he's been back...yikes. Same for Price.
Chad Johnson
Steve Mason - Last season, has been done since, no one signed him.
Michael Hutchinson - Last season
Mike Condon - last season, looks to be done now.
Andrew Hammond - 2015-16
Carey Price - He has admitted his physical side is fine, mentally he feels off.
Fleury last year was a bit odd.

All of these guys were either elite or serviceable and now, not so much. Some gone, some on the verge of being gone, and some trying to get back to being good again while some are lucky and are fine.

But here's what he had to say about his 3rd one.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-concerned-by-rise-in-goalie-concussions-1.1193829

More games DeSmith can steal, the better, maybe the time will help Murray get his game back on track, but to use the "Look at Crosby..." excuse, weaker than the jokes about Murray's glove hand.

Informative, thank you.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wish there was a way of finding out if you had past concussions. I have two questionable moments, both in childhood, where I really wonder if I didn't knock something loose.

1: I was at a friends pool and hurrying home for C-team football game, and I was wet and ran from the pool to the house and on the porch was patio concrete. I racked my head so good I was dizzy all day.

2: at 12 or 13 I was on a puddle of ice pretending to play hockey and again really got racked.

If there was only a way to know if damage was done. Is there?

Cranial CT Scan is what I would guess. Remember, Paul Kariya was told about the damage his concussions had done to him and the long term effects if he ever tried to play, he retired immediately when the doctor told him he already had brain damage to the point where one more would be devastating.

The fact that 13+ goalies had concussions last year on top of other players, the landscape of concussion protocol and what not, is still not good I think. I feel far too many players come back fast from them and yeah each one is different but man, that law suit was crap and this is going to be something we look back on in even 3-5 years and see how horrible it is.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Cranial CT Scan is what I would guess. Remember, Paul Kariya was told about the damage his concussions had done to him and the long term effects if he ever tried to play, he retired immediately when the doctor told him he already had brain damage to the point where one more would be devastating.

The fact that 13+ goalies had concussions last year on top of other players, the landscape of concussion protocol and what not, is still not good I think. I feel far too many players come back fast from them and yeah each one is different but man, that law suit was crap and this is going to be something we look back on in even 3-5 years and see how horrible it is.

Sunday night in san jose, flames goalie mike smith took a puck off the helmet after he'd already lost his stick.

He seemed stunned, even started bringing his hand up like he was gonna ask ref for a break, but the pick went out of the zone.

For the next couple minutes I watched him shake his head and stare like he was out of breath at the ice.

He stayed in and made the next save.

But I'm not sure he was okay or if a little situation like that will come back to haunt him.

The tough it out mentality in hockey is admirable and stupid...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sunday night in san jose, flames goalie mike smith took a puck off the helmet after he'd already lost his stick.

He seemed stunned, even started bringing his hand up like he was gonna ask ref for a break, but the pick went out of the zone.

For the next couple minutes I watched him shake his head and stare like he was out of breath at the ice.

He stayed in and made the next save.

But I'm not sure he was okay or if a little situation like that will come back to haunt him.

The tough it out mentality in hockey is admirable and stupid...

Ok, let's take that incident and also ask...

Where were the concussion spotters?

Why didn't his team doctor/medical staff remove him from the game for his safety, are they not there for that reason?

Mike Smith may have that "tough it out, you got this" mentality, but this league literally has medical professionals employed by teams and spotters to prevent this, at times, players don't even know they're concussed because they were always told by coaches and others that they had "the wind knocked out of them" which is what my coach would tell me and then when I went home and started puking and had to sit down because the room was spinning, my doctor said no, you need to take time away and sort this out for your health.

I think that whole situation is troublesome, the Flames should get a ton of shit for that.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's very troublesome. Me and my partner were like wtf he's not looking right...

People need to realize damage to your brain isn't like an ACL tear. There is no fixing it. But you can certainly make it worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad