Value of: Matt Murray

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Mid first? Not a chance. I'd say he's worth something similar to what Schneider fetched. He's the real deal, can't believe how far he's come from his days in the Soo. Always thought he was talented but never imagined he'd get this far.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Mid first? Not a chance. I'd say he's worth something similar to what Schneider fetched. He's the real deal, can't believe how far he's come from his days in the Soo. Always thought he was talented but never imagined he'd get this far.

I have to laugh at comments like this in saying the going rate for Matt Murray equates to the return of Corey Schneider. Sort of like the geniuses that say Brett Connelly got two second round picks in return, so Yukupov is worth equal or a first round pick despite his failures in Edmonton. Different year means different return. Those who say the return for Murray is based on the return of a goalie THREE YEARS AGO aren't smart.

So, you want to trade a young starting goalie that exudes patience, confidence, doesn't panic; doesn't let a bad goal consume him and a Stanley Cup winner as a 21 year old, or was that 22 ... for the ninth overall pick that Pittsburgh more than likely won't see anything, if at all, for at least two or three years? That is not a smart deal.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Wasn't that draft Schneider got the 9th OA one of the weakest we have had in a while? I forget.

It was a good one.

Lots of top talent in that top 10

Barkov McKinnon lindholm.

The top 10 worse player is Nichuskin . And if he can recapture his magic then it Ll be Nurse for now.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
His value will be less soon because these fools at this stupid world cup are running Murray down.

Good for Vegas.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Pens lucky right now. I'm envious. We have some good prospects that may be able to take over from Hank eventually but I think Murray is the real deal soon, personally.

You don't move Fleury yet, but you do a Rask/Thomas or Price/Halak (different I know) thing for a while and see... I wouldn't move Murray now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pens lucky right now. I'm envious. We have some good prospects that may be able to take over from Hank eventually but I think Murray is the real deal soon, personally.

You don't move Fleury yet, but you do a Rask/Thomas or Price/Halak (different I know) thing for a while and see... I wouldn't move Murray now.

They can't really do that with MM likely getting something in the Vasilevsky 3.5M bridge range.
They won't be spending 9.25M on goaltending to start the '17-18 season.
One of em gots to go.
They could ride it out for this season though.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
His value will be less soon because these fools at this stupid world cup are running Murray down.

Good for Vegas.

This tournament will have zero impact on his value. If it does, then every American on the US roster goes for peanuts. Didn't score on a not so good Team Europe.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

The farm system isn't loaded by any stretch. In fact, it was one of the worst farm systems last year as far as rankings. It just so happened that we had the right pieces that could come up and contribute.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The farm system isn't loaded by any stretch. In fact, it was one of the worst farm systems last year as far as rankings. It just so happened that we had the right pieces that could come up and contribute.

It may just be me, but I'd call our farm system pretty underrated.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
It may just be me, but I'd call our farm system pretty underrated.

Underrated is fine. I think the point is that we have very few, if any total impact prospects.

I have the Hockey News Yearbook in front of me. They rated our top 10 ..

1. Murray - ok, impact
2. Pouliott - major questions still are there. Not sure he is impact.
3. Sprong - out for the majority of this year. Has scoring ability, but is defensively inept.
4. Jarry - remember who was our goalie in WBS during the play-offs. It was Desmith, an ECHL guy.
5. Gustavsson - top goalie prospect from the last draft. We shall see.

Simon and Guentzel might be our second and third top prospects if I were ranking them.

The guys that came up, absent Murray, weren't flashy. They all served their roles very well. I would say its more on Pittsburgh preparing these cats to play in the NHL as far as systems. When they play in WBS, its essentially the same thing as playing for the Penguins.

Last edited:

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
If Pittsburgh decides to keep MAF what is the value of Matt Murray? What could the Penguins reasonably expect as a return?

It is hard to speculate because it is so unrealistic. The chances of Murray getting moved is 0%.

I guess value would be 1st round pick and player/prospect.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Not saying anyone would try to screw over Pittsburgh. I'm saying his value simply isn't a 1st round pick or top prospect. Almost every team in the league has a goalie they would rather protect in the Expansion Draft, Fleury's NMC really kills his value. Carolina is one of the few that doesn't (although they might be keen on keeping Altshuller). It's simply a supply and demand issue for Pittsburgh. The other major factor is whether or not Fleury would actually waive to go somewhere else. The most likely outcome is Pittsburgh buying him out, where the Canes would probably make an offer in Free Agency.

Goalies historically don't have very high value anyway. The only goalies drawing high trade value are young, presumed long-term starters (Schneider, Talbot, Jones).

wrong

member 157595

Pittsburgh isn't stupid enough to think Murray's performance at a joke tournament in any way diminishes his (very high) NHL value.

If I'm the Pens I do everything in my power to trade MAF, and if that doesn't work, I buy him out prior to the expansion draft if I have to. No way I trade Murray.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

Good for Vegas.

The disappointment your going to feel when Murray isn't available in the expansion draft is going to be EPIC.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Solid #analysis

I just ran down the list of Eastern Conference teams and the only two that I think would take Fleury are Carolina and Buffalo. Holtby, Murray, Lundqvist, Greiss/Halak, Mason, Scheider, Bobrovsky, Luongo, Vasilevski, Mrazek, Rask, Anderson, Price, Andersen. Who else drops their goalie for Fleury? Certainly sounds like "most" teams already have their keeper.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Solid #analysis

I just ran down the list of Eastern Conference teams and the only two that I think would take Fleury are Carolina and Buffalo. Holtby, Murray, Lundqvist, Greiss/Halak, Mason, Scheider, Bobrovsky, Luongo, Vasilevski, Mrazek, Rask, Anderson, Price, Andersen. Who else drops their goalie for Fleury? Certainly sounds like "most" teams already have their keeper.

At some point, Columbus can't continue relying heavily on Bob. He is an unreliable goalie. There will be pressure for them to make the playoffs. You forgot the one or two teams out west that could use him as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At some point, Columbus can't continue relying heavily on Bob. He is an unreliable goalie. There will be pressure for them to make the playoffs. You forgot the one or two teams out west that could use him as well.

Oh-Wait-Youre-serious-Let-me-laugh-harder.jpg

If Bob falters, the job will go to Korpisalo. Sure as hell we're not bailing out Pittsburgh.

(And have you been watching Bob during the WCoH? :) )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->