Speculation: Matt Moulson, what are the Sabres options?

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Its time for this subject to have its own thread

This guy has just lost all hockey ability, I have no idea why he is even dressed for games any more, he's just embarrassing to watch.

I have little faith in any trade value, who would take it on even if we retained half? I don't think throwing in a quality prospect is worth it to rid ourselves of him. But I do think its time to just send him home for the season, buy him out next summer when it makes a little more financial sense.

Can someone who knows please explain the ramifications if we waive him? Are we still on the hook for his full salary against our cap?

Reactions: Chainshot

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's a who cares issue at this point. Yeah, he's on the cap if we waive him (I think), and his buyout saves us $1.4M next year in exchange for $600K on the books the year after.

If he's culture cancer, you can make him go away, but there's no big financial incentive either way.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Options are actually quite numerous. The hard part will be making it look like an accident.
mSjAz3V.jpg

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Play out this season as the 13th and then retire and give him a job consulting something.
If he doesn't retire I am sure we can move him to Florida as his actual dollars to be paid are 2 million opposed to that 5 million cap hit and their owner is cheap.
Trade Moulson and a 5th to them for McGinn.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Botterill and Sexton are trying to change the culture in Rochester and have been quite vocal about it. Waiving an unhappy Moulson doesn’t seem to help that. He’d also eventually complicate the veteran rule. He should stay the 13th forward and only play when there are injuries. Get rid of him in the offseason

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Have a sit down with him and his agent. Ask him what he wants to do. Layout some options for him:

A buyout doesn't net him much (he'd get 666k in a buyout). It also only saves Buffalo 1.3M in cap space. Explain to him that next year, he's likely to go on waivers and spend the season in Rochester. Now, he'd get paid per the contract we signed. However, as a 35 year old who has collected 23 of a 25M contract after his signing bonus who has established his family in Buffalo, he MIGHT prefer to retire and stay on as a skills coach in Buffalo. No travel, gets to stay around the locker room, collect a decent salary/benefits, get more family time. Or he can be a player/coach in Rochester. His choice.

Basically, be professional and up front with him. Offer him a soft landing if he chooses to retire and save the team 5M in cap space.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Strap him to a Boston net no pads and let chara take shooting practice...Jk but the guy above me nailed it.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It saves that versus his total cap hit, yes, but sending him down saves $1.025M versus his total cap hit. So a buy-out only saves about $300k vs burying him in the minors, and also carries an additional almost $700k cap charge for the following season.

Burying him either requires Rochester to use a vet slot on him or bench him there... which won’t go over well with the ‘hockey crowd’. Only 300k in cap, but there’s more to it

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Burying him either requires Rochester to use a vet slot on him or bench him there... which won’t go over well with the ‘hockey crowd’. Only 300k in cap, but there’s more to it
I’d take Moulson on the Amerks if it wasn’t for the veteran rule, which would cause problems if they ever get healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad