Speculation: Matt Moulson : 6mil on the open market??

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Bailey - JT - KO
Lee - Nelson - Strome
Grabner - Frans - CC
Martin - Cizikas - McD

Donovan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Hickey
Pulock - Strait

The show must go on!

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Player that have scored 30 or more goals during the past 3 full seasons (these are cap hits-not salaries):

Ovechkin $9.5million
Stamkos $7.5million
Kessel $8million (his extension, starting next season)
Iginla $6million
B. Ryan $5.1million
Marleau $6.9million
Nash $7.8million

Moulson $3.2million

I'm on record as NOT liking the job that Snow is doing. BUT he hit a homerun with Moulson. I give credit where it's due-and Moulson was-and still is-a GREAT pickup for the Islanders.

PS-"Garbage goals" are worth just as much as a really fancy coast-to-coast breakaway or a 2-on-1 one-timer on a rush.

Last edited:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
It has been said here in different ways, but MM26 agent will know his market value based on what players with comparable stats have gotten in the last year. There are few who signed that have had 3 consecuative 30 goal, top 25 league wide points.
The argument can be made that MM26 is one dimensional, but most of the higher scorers are. There are much fewer complete players who also play good defense.
Much depends on the season he has through February. If he ttrending towards another 30+ goal season, I expect his agent to advise him to test the free agent market. IMO the most we wil offer him is $5.25MM x 5 years. If he can get $6MM elsewhere that is $3.75MM he would leave on the table to sign here. To get him at the lower number Snow would have to give him longer term, something he has so far not been willing to give to Streit, PAP etc.
It gets interesting if MM26 only scores 20-24 this year but has 45+ assists.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
if Moulson plays on the 2nd or 3rd line, he is suddenly a $3-4 mil player. IMO, a $6 player make those around him better. Moulson does not.

let's not Milbury this guy...

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
I for one would not have a problem seeing Moulson walk if his demands are north of 5 mil. He is a product of JT....period. I totally understand the comparables for a 30 goal scorer, cap geek backs it all up. This is not about camparable salaries for me, it's more about what I think he brings to the table and I honestly believe it's average. He reminds me so much of Mark Parish with that uncanny ability to score goals from in close. I'll go on record and say if Cal Clutterbuck plays 82 next to JT, I believe he can score 30. For God sakes, Boyes even had a decent year number wise.....I rest my case.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
Moulson on the open market will get 6 million plus but if he stays with the Isles I expect 4 years at 5- 5.5 per year. While he has many deficiencies he can do something very well and that is score and is willing to take a beating doing it.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I for one would not have a problem seeing Moulson walk if his demands are north of 5 mil. He is a product of JT....period. I totally understand the comparables for a 30 goal scorer, cap geek backs it all up. This is not about camparable salaries for me, it's more about what I think he brings to the table and I honestly believe it's average. He reminds me so much of Mark Parish with that uncanny ability to score goals from in close. I'll go on record and say if Cal Clutterbuck plays 82 next to JT, I believe he can score 30. For God sakes, Boyes even had a decent year number wise.....I rest my case.

I really really really hate this argument. Is JT the best player to play in the past 25 years? Then why is he the only player that can make scrubs into consistent 30+ goal scorers? You don't see Crosby's wings on that list. Burrows plays with both Sedins and he isn't on the list. Why is it that JT can turn anyone into a 30+ goal scorer but nobody else in the league can?

The argument for not paying Moulson more than 5-5.5M is that every other player on that list of 30+ goal scorers brings more to the table than Moulson. Just about all of them are known for being physical players, except for Kessel who is a great skater and playmaker.

Moulson scores goals, but that is about the extent of his contributions. Goals are very valuable, but there is more to being a great player.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Last time I checked Moulson scores more goals than JT does....just saying.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
And never had 200 shots in a season. Moulson, much like Holmstrom, is/was not a first line player.

if you can score 30 goals without all combined shots traveling over 300 feet.....i dont see a problem with that.

a coast to coast goal gets you one goal. a garbage tip in gets you one goal. so whats the difference? it wasnt pretty enough for you?

if he can tip in or collect garbage from a tavares shot, so be it. a goal is a goal man. it aint got to a picture perfect pretty goal. it still counts as one. is a lead-off home run worth any more if it goes 800' as opposed to 475"?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
How would you compare MM's play to Kessel?

Which do you think would have the better career?

Kessel is a one way player too..but does he suck as bad as Moulson? I just don't believe that 30 goals is worth an 8 mill contract. I think a 30 g scorer in general is worth 4-6 mill depending.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
And never had 200 shots in a season. Moulson, much like Holmstrom, is/was not a first line player.

It's funny that he mentioned Holmstrom (who was a much better all-around player, a lot more physical). Since Holmstrom most of his career was a 4th liner, and 3rd lin player but logged plenty of PP time as a net front presence. To me Moulson at this point should be a 4th line, special teamer. He can log most of his minutes on the Powerplay next to Tavares. I can put up with the rest of his game if the other team has less players, and obviously Moulson is very good on the powerplay. 5 on 5, he is and has been their worst forward when speaking about all around game.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
if you can score 30 goals without all combined shots traveling over 300 feet.....i dont see a problem with that.

a coast to coast goal gets you one goal. a garbage tip in gets you one goal. so whats the difference? it wasnt pretty enough for you?

if he can tip in or collect garbage from a tavares shot, so be it. a goal is a goal man. it aint got to a picture perfect pretty goal. it still counts as one. is a lead-off home run worth any more if it goes 800' as opposed to 475"?

Nobody cares how pretty or ugly Moulsons goals are. It's irrelevent. What's not irrelevent, in fact quite problematic for the team is that he is completely and utterly inept at all other facets of the game other than the 30 shots a year that find the twine.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
It's funny that he mentioned Holmstrom (who was a much better all-around player, a lot more physical). Since Holmstrom most of his career was a 4th liner, and 3rd lin player but logged plenty of PP time as a net front presence. To me Moulson at this point should be a 4th line, special teamer. He can log most of his minutes on the Powerplay next to Tavares. I can put up with the rest of his game if the other team has less players, and obviously Moulson is very good on the powerplay. 5 on 5, he is and has been their worst forward when speaking about all around game.

Well said.

You cannot deny what Moulson is or is not. I think the Islanders will be a much better team with Moulson on the 4th line, but 1st PP unit. I don't think there's any way Capuano does this though. And going into free agency next year, there's no way Moulson re-signs with a lesser role and less money. This is why I'd deal him but the time for that was over the summer or possibly after 20-30 games this year when teams start to tweak the rosters.

I also expect Strome to be up at some point. I know many like PMB's game yesterday but I didn't. It's only one game but I think Strome is a better option than Regin and PMB right now, but he'll show that in the AHL.

Bailey - Tavares - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Bouchard - Nelson - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

This is a solid lineup.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I would not put him on the 4th line as he would pretty much wipe out the good that the energy line brings by his lazy play and inability to be remotely physical. He is so unidimensional that I don't see him as a fit for any line except where he is IF you had a real physical first line wing on the opp side.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would not put him on the 4th line as he would pretty much wipe out the good that the energy line brings by his lazy play and inability to be remotely physical. He is so unidimensional that I don't see him as a fit for any line except where he is IF you had a real physical first line wing on the opp side.

You're pretty much right.

Moving him to the 4th line just makes the 4th line bad and reduces the chances of him scoring even more. He needs top 6 minutes to be effective.

JT can't have Okposo and Moulson on that line, it just doesn't work. You can live with Moulson if there's a Bailey or, dare I say after one game, Nelson on that top line.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

Lazy? He worked his way from a training camp afterthought and minor league veteran into a premier goal scorer. It boggles my mind when people call anyone in the NHL lazy, but it's an even more astounding claim when made about someone who we've seen fight and claw his way into his current role.

Players have different skill sets. Just because a player's skill set doesn't include overly physical or grinding play doesn't make him lazy.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
You're pretty much right.

Moving him to the 4th line just makes the 4th line bad and reduces the chances of him scoring even more. He needs top 6 minutes to be effective.

JT can't have Okposo and Moulson on that line, it just doesn't work. You can live with Moulson if there's a Bailey or, dare I say after one game, Nelson on that top line.

okposo is the most frustrating player on the islanders. I wish he had nasty streak in him...would create so much more for him. He is so strong...but just doesnt use it well. It would benefit jt so much. I hope it was just one game, but it just feels like ground hog day with him at the start of every seaso.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Lazy? He worked his way from a training camp afterthought and minor league veteran into a premier goal scorer. It boggles my mind when people call anyone in the NHL lazy, but it's an even more astounding claim when made about someone who we've seen fight and claw his way into his current role.

Players have different skill sets. Just because a player's skill set doesn't include overly physical or grinding play doesn't make him lazy.

Lazy in terms of 2 way play. When Michael Grabner starts to find a two way game and you can't that says it all. Moulson would be able to help both the team and himself if he had anything else to offer the club besides scoring in close, and all that would take is physical exertion, effort, the desire to help the other 4 skaters... Clearly, he does not possess that much thought. Look at how small Vis is. If he can put in the effort to have a reasonable two way game, what's Moulson's excuse? Too good for that kind of work? He sounds like a primadonna when you look at it from that perspective. No one expects a guy who weighs 160 lbs soaking wet to rub out 6'5" 240 lb behemoths along the boards, or to overtake Kovalchuk from a dead stop each and every time. What some fans do expect is that he puts in the effort to back check when the other linemates are trapped deep, or to work on his skating to improve his skating starts/acceleration, and to work on being more aware of transition (off to def.), and to improve at reading the entire ice, bust his ass to the best defensive position to take a prime passing lane, and be ready with his stick on the ice and cocked back to intercept a pass some times, or even be willing to take strong contact in the other two zones to make a play/stop a play. If I were to assign numerical values to his ability to do those things none would be over a 2, and most a 0. That's just pathetic.

And if Matt thinks he has proven all he needs to prove and that being JT's friend is going to cement him on his wing for life he is in for a rude surprise. I'd bet there are many players who can pot as many or more goals next to John, yet who are way better 2 way players than he will ever be. The day he gets outworked from his spot next to John he will spend a few months on other lines scoring next to 0 goals, and within a year or two wind up in the AHL. Unless he improves some other parts of his game of course. Considering the money involved, I know I would.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
NY Islanders free agency policy- If any player reaches UFA, let them leave unless they are a hall of fame player in the prime of their career. Or, they are a player few if any teams want (nabakov). This is what John Tavares has to deal with until Wang sells the team.

NineHoleGoal

Jul 7, 2011

I feel like some of you guys didn't even watch last night's game. Moulson was easily the best player on the crappy 1st line last night. I saw his forechecking efforts hem the Devils into their own end at least 3 times and he won a couple scrums on the boards and came away with the puck. I also saw him skating harder than KO or JT.

Moulson is not nearly as 1 dimensional as some of you think. He doesn't have Grabner speed but he does backcheck. What Moulson can't do is carry the puck or setup plays. Not every player can, though we'd like to see a 1st liner do it better than Moulson. Nonetheless, you find me a better 30 goal scorer for $3.2 million. He's also never injured even tho he's getting creamed in front of the other goalies net every game.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
This is a really easy hockey decision, regardless of what happens this season the islanders must let Moulson walk. He isn't worth the money he has coming to him, let some one else pay it and replace him with all the inhouse talent we have. Easy call Garth Snow, don't let anything cloud your judgement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->