Speculation: Matt Moulson : 6mil on the open market??

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I think they're going to retain him and probably give him around $5mil per not sure on the term. I'd be fine giving him 4 years but honestly with the way contracts continue to get handed out I have no clue what's going to happen here.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
He might get that much and it would be hard to blame him if he takes it. Mouls was a late bloomer and this might be his 1 chance for a big pay day. Players like Tavares can afford slight discounts because assuming good health they have several big contracts to sign and many more years to earn big bucks.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
I'm sorry, but as much as I like Moulson and think he s one of the core, he is not worth 6 million per. he scores goals and feeds off his chemistry with Tavares. He is a one dimensional scorer, he is another Czerkawski. Id give him 5 for 5 years which is a gift to him, as he probably has 2 more seasons before he starts his decline, and he won't get to play for a better center if he walks and goes to another team.

On the open market though, he would get 6 million easy.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He's a consistent 30 goal scorer. With the contracts players are given these days, a contract of $6MM for a scorer of his caliber is not absurd. I would assume though, he might give the Isles a hometown discount though.

Agreed...but the "hometown discount is going to have a "5" in front of it at least. We can all name tons of guys who don't produce nearly as the 30 goals a year Moulson has gotten the past four years that have gotten 5+ million as a UFA.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
No way Moulson signs another Islander contract unless he gets a major injury. #1=Isles always have the lowest payroll in the sport. In order to do that, you let your best unrestricted free agents walk. #2= Moulson already signed a contract with the islanders, --if he was into the "hometown discount" you can assume he did that on the last contract. #3-Only John Tavares would throw out 2-3 million a year and lose 16 million to "stay a NY Islander" ...of all teams. No offense guys but being an islander is like being a Milwaukee Brewer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Overpaying for anything is usually a bad idea, especially when the length of the contract is long.

I don't want Moulson locked up for 5 years on a large contract. Giving him a longer contract would mean he needs to take a discount. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind him being paid well for 2 or 3 seasons at the most.

He's not a long term piece to the organization and is an extremely flawed player. I'd rather grab a different UFA for 6 mil a season.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
4 years, 18-20 million is my absolute max for MM...a nickel more and he can pack his **** and see what life without JT is really like.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
$6M for a one dimensional player? Yes he can put in the garbage like few others can and is a great teammate but I still argue that if he scores 30 he is the direct or indirect result for at least that many going the other way, he is that bad everywhere else... plus he will be 30 when he signs the new deal, while not ready for retirement his best years will be behind him by the time his next contract is over, so no way would I want a long term deal at that price.. buy low sell high... sorry but if that is the price I would thank him for his service, throw him a nice farewell party and find someone cheaper who is a better all around player...

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights
His salary this year (not cap hit) is 3.9 million. He turns 30 in November.

The starting point of his negotiation this year is 4.5 million. He's going to want a raise. Would he take a 3 year 15 million deal? Would we want to pay that for him? 18 for 3 or any multiple of six is not out of the question, it's actually likely. I don't think I'd want to pay that for his services. The most I'd go in terms of year and average salary is 4 for 20.

I'm not sure who has leverage in this situation. The isles don't have depth on the wings but people around the league probably wonder what his true value is apart from Tavares.

Year one: 4.0
Year two: 5.0
Year three: 5.0
Year four: 6.0

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I think they're going to retain him and probably give him around $5mil per not sure on the term. I'd be fine giving him 4 years but honestly with the way contracts continue to get handed out I have no clue what's going to happen here.

One just gets the vibe that he knows the secret of his success. Seems like a guy that would want fair value for his contributions and stay within his comfort zone. I would not call that a hometown discount, rather, someone smart enough to know that leaving some on the table might be wise to continue to enjoy the success and relationships he has.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One just gets the vibe that he knows the secret of his success. Seems like a guy that would want fair value for his contributions and stay within his comfort zone. I would not call that a hometown discount, rather, someone smart enough to know that leaving some on the table might be wise to continue to enjoy the success and relationships he has.

And if he sticks around, he might have a realistic shot at winning or earning more money in the future. If he believe JT makes him the player he is, and chooses to take big money elsewhere...he might ruin his own career if his production isn't as good.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Reality check, guys. There is no one on the Team who can mesh with JT like MM. He will have a hard time keeping up within the next five years, which may be the overpayment. Not only are his goals tough to replace, but his passing ability is underrated. We need to see if he moves forward, a little physical play would make that line tougher to defend against.
I think he will take less than JT, but I doubt he signs for less than 5 years.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
at some point you overpay your guys. They have room under the cap and the NYI have to change their perception from a team where you go to prove yourself to a team that is a destination in and of itself. If MM walks for more money it furthers the perception of the NYI as a place where you get an opportunity only to have to go somewhere else to be rewarded financially.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
If I read 'room under the cap' one more time I'm going to have an aneurysm.

That's fantasy land. What world are people living in where they can look at the cap (maximum) and come remotely close to approximate the islanders budget based off that. Those folks are living in a dream world. If you want to realistically estimate islander budgets look towards the floor and they will be right near it.

Beyond cap space (which is a non factor with the islanders so just pretend that doesn't exist) there is a residual effect on the pay scale of all other NY islanders. The islanders and snow have been very tight holding most players at or around 3 mm per. The more players that break that threshold the more all other players in the organisation will ask for. So it has a compounding effect. This seems to be lost on most fans. That money adds up quick.

You don't break the bank for a 30 year old goal scorer given his other deficiencies, his age, the islanders current budget, the islanders current thresholds, and the islanders current roster (age) etc. End of story.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
A lot depends on the upcoming season. If he can keep the 30 goal pace up he will get a huge payday from someone, but if he shows any sign of decline the price will drop. I can see him resigning with the Islanders in the 4.5 million range

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Whatever team signs Moulson they will be doing it so he still has a couple years left on his contract by the time Tavares is a free agent, and hope They can throw max years and max money at Tavares.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI

At first i kind of agreed, but IF he puts up yet another 30g campaign, the 6 million AAV isnt what would deter me, it would all depend on the term. 4yrs 24 million for a guy who in the last 4 yrs is in the top 15 in the NHL for goals isnt a bad deal. Yes he is one-dimensional...many goal scorers are.

Also, the "he cant make more than JT" crap has to stop. JT signed that 2 years ago, things have changed in the league since then. Phil freakin Kessel just got 8 million for 8 years. Talk about one dimensional. Also, as others noted, JT signed his deal as an RFA extension. Much different than a pending UFA deal. JT isnt broke, and he'll get paid...again. No need to worry about that.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Whatever team signs Moulson they will be doing it so he still has a couple years left on his contract by the time Tavares is a free agent, and hope They can throw max years and max money at Tavares.

The isles holding JT 's rights can offer him a maximum of 8 yrs.
Every other team can offer a maximum of 7 yrs.

Tavares is close buddies with Subban in Montreal and Gagner in Edmonton. Are you seriously expecting a player as professional as Tavares, to choose a team because his bff plays for that team?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Wondering what the word has been on getting MM a new deal in place? Didn't see any threads on him. Can he be had for under 6?? Does he get more than Tavares? Should he? Right place, right time..
Wow. MM should be no where near 6M.
anything over 5 is to much. i think he is paid right around were he should be. Maybe a minor raise and give him 4.5. otherwise cya IMO
I also feel that the # years and $ is important. The longer he gets the less i pay per season.

3 Years 15 is a decent deal its not to long. short deals have pros and cons for both sides. Does MM want to risk 3 years and begin to decline. He could certinly get better and earn more next time ETC.

i think 4 years 18M is a nice deal.
even 5 years 22M is not horrid but i would prefer a 3 or 4 year deal.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The isles holding JT 's rights can offer him a maximum of 8 yrs.
Every other team can offer a maximum of 7 yrs.

Tavares is close buddies with Subban in Montreal and Gagner in Edmonton. Are you seriously expecting a player as professional as Tavares, to choose a team because his bff plays for that team?

I think it was joking around. I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->