Speculation: Matt Moulson : 6mil on the open market??

bauerpower

Jul 30, 2005
Southern Alberta
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442713

In this story of Insider Trading, Bob McKenzie (a credible source) uses the following words and I could not believe what I was reading:

-quote-
How badly do the Los Angeles Kings need/want scoring?

McKenzie: They desperately need scoring and, unfortunately for them, there's nothing front line available right at this moment. Matt Moulson would be a great rental from the Buffalo Sabres, but the price is high - a first-round pick and a prospect - and he's injured until after the Olympic break.
-end quote-

Matt Moulson worth a first-round pick and a prospect?!? Is this Seinfeld's bizarro world that I woke up in? Why was he so worth so little a few months ago when the Islanders were trading him and worth so much now?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
^^^

Because the contending teams are all trying to one up each other, people get desperate, jobs are on the line, running clock, supply and demand etc.

Islesfans1978*

As much as I love Moulson, there is no way in heck he is worth 6 mil a season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
^^^

Because the contending teams are all trying to one up each other, people get desperate, jobs are on the line, running clock, supply and demand etc.

I agree. Last season at the TDL, McPhee who has been the Caps gm for about 14 yrs, was under a ton of pressure, with rumors his job was on the line.
End results? Bluechipper Forsberg for Erat:laugh:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
As much as I love Moulson, there is no way in heck he is worth 6 mil a season.

It's like gms and owners never learn. $5m for AMac, $6m for Moulson:shakehead

What the heck do teams pay legitimate stars like Tavares then?

It makes me nervous about Okposo's next deal. If he continues to develop, what will Okposo and his reps ask for in 2016 ?

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia

It makes me nervous about Okposo's next deal. If he continues to develop, what will Okposo and his reps ask for in 2016 ?

If Okposo continues to play like he has until his contract is up he will get at least 6.5-7.5 million. He is a better player than Vanek right now ( without a "star" name) and Vanek will probably make 7-8 million

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Well, since he's about 5X as better as Josh Failey, he's looking at 15 million / year.:shakehead

It mortifies me that Failey is making 3.3mil a year. It's truly disgusting....:rant:

I gave credit to Snow in the past for locking up these players for good money on decent contracts but the way he caved on Failey leaves me scratching my head. I guess he is a pretty stubborn GM and even with the emergence of CDH you would think he would swallow his pride and admit Failey is a failure...

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Well, since he's about 5X as better as Josh Failey, he's looking at 15 million / year.:shakehead

It mortifies me that Failey is making 3.3mil a year. It's truly disgusting....:rant:

Don't worry Bailey will have a strong 10 games to finish out the year and convince our awful management that he should be our 2nd line winger next year.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

I gave credit to Snow in the past for locking up these players for good money on decent contracts but the way he caved on Failey leaves me scratching my head. I guess he is a pretty stubborn GM and even with the emergence of CDH you would think he would swallow his pride and admit Failey is a failure...

Failey is Snow's boy. He ain't going anywhere.

Islesfans1978*

Okposo strikes me as one of those loyal type players. If the team is going in the right direction and he is a big part of it, I can't see him not trying to work something out whether it's a front or rear loaded contract.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Okposo strikes me as one of those loyal type players. If the team is going in the right direction and he is a big part of it, I can't see him not trying to work something out whether it's a front or rear loaded contract.

Front and rear loaded contracts went away with the last CBA....

You can't finagle that stuff anymore. I agree though, he may be happy signing a long term deal at an affordable price because the Isles stuck with him. Nothing is sure in this business anymore though....

Islesfans1978*

Front and rear loaded contracts went away with the last CBA....

You can't finagle that stuff anymore. I agree though, he may be happy signing a long term deal at an affordable price because the Isles stuck with him. Nothing is sure in this business anymore though....

They did it with Kovalchuk's contract. Even though the NHL rejected part of the deal, they didn't reject the entire thing.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
IMO

Snow should just do a big mea culpa.

He can resign Moulson and probably trade Vanek for more value than the 1st and 2nd

If he does that then he actually comes out ahead of where he started.

YeH it probably means overpaying Matt, but they have tons of cap space and you know the guy fits well here.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Why do people want Moulson so badly? If you think Vanek's contract will be bad in the future, Moulsons deal will look horrible from the start. Smartest thing Garth has done is recognize Moulson does not fit going foward.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
ALso moulson will get traded at the deadline to one team. Then that team will trade his negotiating rights for a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder 3 days before free agency. The isles will not pay those rights. So he will likely not hit the open market.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Why do people want Moulson so badly? If you think Vanek's contract will be bad in the future, Moulsons deal will look horrible from the start. Smartest thing Garth has done is recognize Moulson does not fit going foward.

Exactly!!!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I know...crazy. People think Vanek disappears, if the Isles don't get any pp for long periods Moulson is absolutely useless!!

Islesfans1978*

IMO

Snow should just do a big mea culpa.

He can resign Moulson and probably trade Vanek for more value than the 1st and 2nd

If he does that then he actually comes out ahead of where he started.

YeH it probably means overpaying Matt, but they have tons of cap space and you know the guy fits well here.

There is a better chance of the Isles winning the cup this season than Moulson being offered a contract by the Isles, let alone re-signing him.

Islesfans1978*

Getting a quality goaltender is priority #1, that should be Snow's main objective.

As much as I love Matty and would love to see him back here, he simply is not a priority..........especially at 6 million, that is just insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad