Matt Martin is being developed wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesBeBack*

Seriously, we are going to ruin this kid.

WHY IS HE ON THE FOURTH LINE?

He's NOT a fourth line player. Martin has good hands and can score. I've also seen his passing ability, which is a notch above average.

Why are we ruining him on the fourth line? What good does this do having Martin play with Reasoner and Cizikas?

This organization is digging its own hole with a few of our young players.

Why don't we take this kid off the fourth line, move him up to the 2nd or third, and slot Bailey into the fourth when he returns? Maybe that'll show Josh that he needs more than chains to make it work here.

Isles Enforcer

Sep 22, 2005
New York
www.islesenforcers.com

He's NOT a fourth line player. Martin has good hands and can score. I've also seen his passing ability, which is a notch above average.

Why are we ruining him on the fourth line? What good does this do having Martin play with Reasoner and Cizikas?

Why don't we take this kid off the fourth line, move him up to the 2nd or third, and slot Bailey into the fourth when he returns? Maybe that'll show Josh that he needs more than chains to make it work here.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

IslesBeBack*

:laugh: Good response.

Let's keep Matt Martin with Reasoner and see how much he blossoms into the player we know he can be.

This team's logic is demented. Let's use Martin for toughness instead of the talent he brings to the table.

You should coach the team.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I agree that Matt Martin should get more TOI and play in the top 9.

But development wont be messed up by him playing on the 4th line...He has a different skill set than a NINO....Matt Martin will be fine....

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

Seriously dude?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
First of all, how do we know Martin isn't being developed properly? I'm not willing to look any further into this until Martin's agent fires off an email to Garth and states that lack of development as a cause and then leaks it to the press. Once that happens and arm chair GMS everywhere go wild on message boards everywhere, I have no interest in putting any thought into this.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Im not saying he has to move up with Tavaras but Martin produced a ton of points next to Stamkos in the OHL. While the Isles are tinkering with Finley on Defense they might as well tinker with Martin in a better role.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Martin is a left winger, the Isles have three, soon to be four, better left wingers than him.

IslesBeBack*

Martin is a left winger, the Isles have three, soon to be four, better left wingers than him.

This is exactly why this team will tinker where they are.

Martin is not a fourth line player. So you don't play him on the fourth line.

I mean, it seems like an obvious way to get a point across. No?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This is exactly why this team will tinker where they are.

Martin is not a fourth line player. So you don't play him on the fourth line.

I mean, it seems like an obvious way to get a point across. No?

But Martin can play a fourth line role and still be effective, the other Isles wingers can't.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
He won't be there for long. This is Matt Martin we are talking about right?

Look at his history, look at where he should have bottomed out at, and look at how he elevated his game each time to the point the coaches had to move him up into a better role.

Trust the player in this case, and also look at this already shortened, injury plagued season. He will be on the third and second lines before this season is done.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
MattyMarts is a driven kid who works hard to improve and has improved.
IDK that he isn't a 4th liner (and no one deserves to play with Reasoner) but he is making a case for himself to move up. I predict that he will be in the mix for a regular 3rd line spot as early as next seasons training camp. He will need to beat out some pretty good talent on the rise, but he has the ability and drive.

Next years contenders for 3rd line LW assuming they are behind Moulson and Grabs:
Ullstrom
Persson
Sundstrom
Nelson
Bailey
Martin

Sundstrom and Nelson will also compete for center and/or RW spots so they may be removed. Bailey could be shipped out. Matty would need to beat out Ullstrom or Persson and Persson is probably not ready yet.

LedHammer

Nov 24, 2009
Patchogue, NY
I like Martin but where are we going to move him to right now? The Nielsen line is playing well, Grabner is off to a really good start and they are the only 3 forwards in the plus. The Aucoin line has given a real solid effort on every shift. At this time I don't think it would be better for the team to break up those lines. Maybe if they wanted to switch Boyes and Okposo, but they're not going to drop any body backward off the 2nd or 3rd right now.

Bigger problem then Martin playing on the 4th line is playing on the 4th line with a garbage player in Reasoner. He's extremley slow and uselss and that effects Martin and Cizikas

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006

Yes he is.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
With the depth cart the way it is, i dont see martin and cizikas making it above the forth line unless there are injures. I think the islanders know this and are putting them in the roles now to prepare for the future.

camper*

He won't be there for long. This is Matt Martin we are talking about right?

Look at his history, look at where he should have bottomed out at, and look at how he elevated his game each time to the point the coaches had to move him up into a better role.

Trust the player in this case, and also look at this already shortened, injury plagued season. He will be on the third and second lines before this season is done.

While the Isles are trying to put their PUZZLE together I am sure they know what Marty can and will do. So true is the statement above. Problem is tho , being one tough SOB Matt is relegated where he is due to team personnel and Isles style of play. This team is constantly trying to find someone to mesh with their top line guys, Islanders do not play smash mouth hockey, Matt does. The top lines would need revamping, which will happen anyway once the team admits this just doesn't work.

Vancouver is a good scenario why Matt should see top 9 line minutes, as in the case of Kassian. A case of toughness , problem is both Sedin's can control play, Isles have no top 6 or 9 players in their roles that can do this. Tav is doing the dirty work on his line, and face it he is not a threat physically.

Your right ..Matt will rise to the top, lots of leader in this kid also. Hope coaching does not have tunnel vision tho, as in the case of Clarkson. Until Deboer took over the helm he coached Clarkson in jr.s, so he new what he could do, Clarkson was delegated to a role as in the case Martin.
Remember this Matt was highly sought after, while waiting for a new contract by high end teams.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
While the Isles are trying to put their PUZZLE together I am sure they know what Marty can and will do. So true is the statement above. Problem is tho , being one tough SOB Matt is relegated where he is due to team personnel and Isles style of play. This team is constantly trying to find someone to mesh with their top line guys, Islanders do not play smash mouth hockey, Matt does. The top lines would need revamping, which will happen anyway once the team admits this just doesn't work.

Vancouver is a good scenario why Matt should see top 9 line minutes, as in the case of Kassian. A case of toughness , problem is both Sedin's can control play, Isles have no top 6 or 9 players in their roles that can do this. Tav is doing the dirty work on his line, and face it he is not a threat physically.

Your right ..Matt will rise to the top, lots of leader in this kid also. Hope coaching does not have tunnel vision tho, as in the case of Clarkson. Until Deboer took over the helm he coached Clarkson in jr.s, so he new what he could do, Clarkson was delegated to a role as in the case Martin.
Remember this Matt was highly sought after, while waiting for a new contract by high end teams.

Great comparison to Kassian and Clarkson. I really would love to see Martin play 3 games with JT and Boyes. Bailey can center Okposo and Moulson.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Even if I didn't watch the last game I could know we lost because of the string of ridiculous threads that popped up after... Martin is fine in fact I think Matt Martin is developing perfectly he's going to be fine.

camper*

Great comparison to Kassian and Clarkson. I really would love to see Martin play 3 games with JT and Boyes. Bailey can center Okposo and Moulson.
Trust me when I tell you, if not for the CBA stuff going on and offer sheets, Matty Marts Had Toronto,Penguin,Philly, Carolina written all over him, and he would not be on the 4th line:shakehead

camper*

Let's keep Matt Martin with Reasoner and see how much he blossoms into the player we know he can be.

This team's logic is demented. Let's use Martin for toughness instead of the talent he brings to the table.

From the time Matt made pro, Capuano coached a kid that in 1 Ahl season , saw a tough hitting machine. Matt was then promoted quickly and well he should have been since at the AHL level he dominated in these depts. Not knocking Capuano but after his promotion to the bigs..Matt fits where he fits. This coaching likes the smallish skill set upfront. As I said its more a case of style of play a team plays and since the top lines do not pay with a blend of toughness, rather tick tack toe hockey.

Isles Enforcer

Sep 22, 2005
New York
www.islesenforcers.com

The fact that you created this thread saying we're developing Martin wrong and then replace him with BAILEY.....hence the response.

Making a thread about wasting a prospect away only to replace him with another makes absolutely no sense. Sorry this thread loses.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Martin can make the fourth line relevant. Add a skilled defensive center who can score some but has size and a RW energy guy and you have a solid fourth line.

If Bailey ever gets his head out of his arse, he's a good second liner and could center Strome or be on Strome's flank. Now add Nino or Kirill in time. A nice second line.

Nielson centers Persson and Ullstrom on line 3. Scoring, two way play, shutdown defense...toughness.

So we have three lines and a solid 4th line....so why worry about Martin, then?

Now? He's helping us roll four lines by being there. He serves an important roll.

Is this thread telling us we should roll three lines and have garbage on line 4 not to play ever?

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
Martin can make the fourth line relevant. Add a skilled defensive center who can score some but has size and a RW energy guy and you have a solid fourth line.

If Bailey ever gets his head out of his arse, he's a good second liner and could center Strome or be on Strome's flank. Now add Nino or Kirill in time. A nice second line.

Nielson centers Persson and Ullstrom on line 3. Scoring, two way play, shutdown defense...toughness.

So we have three lines and a solid 4th line....so why worry about Martin, then?

Now? He's helping us roll four lines by being there. He serves an important roll.

Is this thread telling us we should roll three lines and have garbage on line 4 not to play ever?
Pretty much. Fourth liners are necessary. Martin is a good 4th liner, until he proves anything else, which he hasn't. For now he is a square peg in a square hole. It's on Martin to force the issue, not on the team to take him out of where he belongs and give him a better opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad