Waived: Matt Hunwick

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
but, but, the Avs clearly wont spend money.

Glad that Hunwick has a slight chance to get picked up, and that neither Holden nor Guenin lose out on their chance with the big club yet.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Liles vs Hunwick duel in AHL!

There is probably a bigger chance of Holden being claimed, with his low cap hit. Teams don't mind plugging a hole with a cheap plug. Avs did it with Palushaj and Cliche.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
This is the right decision. Both Guenin and Holden looked better in camp.

It'll be nice to have our "full" defense now with Wilson back and it's re-assuring to have both Guenin (who we now know can play at the NHL level) and Holden (who also looks pretty serviceable).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
By all accounts Hunwick had a bad camp and Roy wants his defenders, if they aren't all that good, to make safe decisions in our zone and with the puck.

That's not Hunwick. He wanders in our zone and he hasn't seen a shin pad he didn't want to launch a puck into. He's not a very good puck possession guy. Great skater, great attitude but I think we and Roy are more comfortable with a very limited guy like Guenin over him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm interested in what this means for Lake Erie. They currently have 8 defensemen on the team. Elliott, Beaupre, Siemens, Stollery, and Lauridsen have played all 3 games so they are likely safe. Tam has played 2 games and Moffie one. Maggio has yet to play, but was the enforcer last year and played well in that role. So do they send Moffie and Tam down to Denver to get some games, or keep everybody up and just have 3 defensemen sit out every night?

Though looking at the lineup, Lake Erie could have a very soild AHL defense with Hunwick.

Hunwick-Elliott (taking Stollery's spot from the last game I saw)
Siemens-Stollery
Lauridsen-Beaupre

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Guys, guys. Don't be ridiculous, Hunwick won't be going to Lake Erie.

Sacco is going to claim him for the Sabres :sarcasm:

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Shouldn't surprise anyone. This move epitomizes the shift away from the Sacco era.

So what is the plan with Nick Holden?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Guys, guys. Don't be ridiculous, Hunwick won't be going to Lake Erie.

Sacco is going to claim him for the Sabres :sarcasm:

With as bad as their defense has been, I wouldn't put it past them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think Siemens and Elliott played together in the first game, or at least for part of it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this move. It makes the most sense for a competitive team and shows the Avs don't make decisions based on saving money. I'm also glad for the message it gives Holden that he didn't get his shot yet but the Avs want him enough to make this move. It couldn't have helped Hunwick's case that the last impression Roy had was him getting beat by the giant Russian I'm not going to try and spell on my phone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad