Dreger: Matt Hunwick on trade block

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
That's too bad for Hunwick. I always liked him despite his limitations. Hopefully he finds himself a place where he can play steady minutes as there was a time when he played for Toronto where I didn't think he would be a NHL player going forward.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Hainsey wasn't great on the Pens, and perhaps one day the minority of your fanbase that refuses to retain that information will suddenly remember.

Hainsey was a great pickup for us and did everything we could have wished for.
I never understood why anyone felt a need to bag on him.

His salary this season was not possible, and I understood why they tried Hunwick even if his contract was a little too big and a year too long. Ultimately Oleksiak coming in and Cole showing himself too valuable to not ride to the end just makes him a cap-casualty. I imagine JR will find a taker for a low pick.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Remember when people were telling us that he's better than Hainsey?

2 crappy players, one possibly better than the other by a slim margin.

I don't understand Leafs fans obsession with the Pens letting Hainsey walk in FA. Hainsey was a 7th Dman, who got big playing time because Letang was gone and Daley was playing injured. Pens let him walk because he was terrible and he's obviously not going to resign if he's going to be in the press box again.

Just because he's playing well for the Leafs, doesn't change how mediocre he was for the Pens. I don't even understand the point of bringing Hainsey up as they have nothing to do with each other. Hunwick was signed to replace Daley, Hainsey was replaced by Ruwedel as a depth Dman

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're not getting Jarry and Sprong for Brassard, but you might not be wrong about them opening cap space for Brassard.
Welp as Brassard goes he is likely the only center available,with his good playoff stats/decent reg season and reasonable cap hit..He is going to have lots of teams interested...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
cant believe pens thought he was even good, dude is straight up ass.
Rutherford also signed Niemi and moved down in the draft to acquire Reaves this summer. It was a string of poor decisions on his part. Hopefully he got all horrible ideas out of his system last summer.

Hopefully JR can redeem himself and find a suitor for Hunwick.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Leafs fans, this isn't about Hainsey. give it a break.

(for the record i still take Hunwick over Hainsey as a Pens fan only because he's a slightly better fit for their system, but became redundant with the Oleksiak deal)

i think a contender who is confident he can return to his pre-injury form for a playoff run would offer something like a 3rd or 4th round pick for Hunwick at the deadline.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

(for the record i still take Hunwick over Hainsey as a Pens fan only because he's a slightly better fit for their system, but became redundant with the Oleksiak deal)

i think a contender who is confident he can return to his pre-injury form for a playoff run would offer something like a 3rd or 4th round pick for Hunwick at the deadline.

Oleksiak isn't a PMD at all either....Hunwick has more pedigree than him, he should have been better.

He's had spurts of being awful here btw (he wasn't good for a full season in the past, and half a year last season....he just peaked towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, which made people think he was better than he was).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oleksiak isn't a PMD at all either....Hunwick has more pedigree than him, he should have been better.

He's had spurts of being awful here btw (he wasn't good for a full season in the past, and half a year last season....he just peaked towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, which made people think he was better than he was).

Sounds like someone who hasn't watched Oleksiak at all. Oleksiak's skating and puck moving talents are both actually really good, which is why he has been phenomenal for the Penguins. He's a 6'7" physical monster who skates well and moves the puck well.

Reactions: Shaffer

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I could see Buffalo taking him back in a trade that involve Kane.

I wonder if a team like Arizona could be interested. They definitely need the help, and they typically would have to pay a pay more of a premium to get a vet to come. Something like a 4th or 5th round pick in exchange.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

You've got the pick going the wrong way, I'd like to know which contender is going to want Hunwick on the books for two more years at over 2M?

He's a cap dump at this point

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You're acting like $2 million is either a lot of money or too much for Hunwick, both of which are false.

He also noted the 2 more years.

That's not exactly ideal. The money is fine. The term? Not ideal.

That said, I'll reiterate something I said earlier: The type of team that might want Hunwick is a team that needs help on defense and has issues attracting free agents without overpaying them. Arizona came to mind, but I suspect there may be 1-2 more. You won't get a lot, but I could see something like a 4th or 5th for him or, worse case, if you really have to move him NOW for the cap space, a 3rd and Hunwick for a B/C level prospect. I'd think at least ONE bottom dweller that needs help on defense would bite.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You're acting like $2 million is either a lot of money or too much for Hunwick, both of which are false.

It is if your a decent team and up against the cap

Your trying to dump him after one year for cap reasons and you think someone is going to step up and take a bad defensemen off your hands for two more seasons and give you an asset for there troubles?

Think about that for a second

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is if your a decent team and up against the cap

Your trying to dump him after one year for cap reasons and you think someone is going to step up and take a bad defensemen off your hands for two more seasons and give you an asset for there troubles?

Think about that for a second

Crazy thought: he's not a bad defensemen, he's just redundant with the Penguins and they need cap space. Wow, so amazing! Maybe you should think about it for a second, he's a fringe #5/6 defensemen that is paid like a fringe #5/6 defensemen for 2 more years. Why is that so problematic? The Penguins aren't trying to trade a $3.4 million AAV, 37 year old Scuderi right now, Hunwick is a fine player.

He also noted the 2 more years.

That's not exactly ideal. The money is fine. The term? Not ideal.

That said, I'll reiterate something I said earlier: The type of team that might want Hunwick is a team that needs help on defense and has issues attracting free agents without overpaying them. Arizona came to mind, but I suspect there may be 1-2 more. You won't get a lot, but I could see something like a 4th or 5th for him or, worse case, if you really have to move him NOW for the cap space, a 3rd and Hunwick for a B/C level prospect. I'd think at least ONE bottom dweller that needs help on defense would bite.

I think the term is not ideal, but it's not like it's bad either. 1 more year would be ideal, but it's not like he has 4 years left on his contract or something obscene like that. Arizona makes some sense for looking at Hunwick, I also think the Islanders make a good amount of sense.

Reactions: domaug and KIRK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad