Player Discussion: Matt Hendricks nominee for King Clancy Memorial Trophy

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Giving the award to Subban would be the greatest troll move ever.

Why? Subban does a ton for the community, and still does a lot for Montreal too, even though he's not there anymore.

We can hate Subban all we want, especially with this series upcoming, but him winning this award would not be a troll move at all...unless there's something else I don't know about?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Why? Subban does a ton for the community, and still does a lot for Montreal too, even though he's not there anymore.

We can hate Subban all we want, especially with this series upcoming, but him winning this award would not be a troll move at all...unless there's something else I don't know about?

I don’t doubt that part at all, but I was referring to his on-ice leadership qualities. That’d almost be like giving Marchand or Perry the award, I don’t doubt for a second that they aren’t great in/for the community but their on-ice presence doesn’t warrant the award imho.

Reactions: Ippenator

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I don’t doubt that part at all, but I was referring to his on-ice leadership qualities. That’d almost be like giving Marchand or Perry the award, I don’t doubt for a second that they aren’t great in/for the community but their on-ice presence doesn’t warrant the award imho.

This award has nothing to do with sportsmanship though, that's what the Lady Byng is for. I couldn't tell you how he is as a leader, but his teammates seem to like him, and he plays hard, that's definitely a form of leadership.

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
I agree - diving, whining, turtling, and providing cheap shots is very hard work. If that isn't being a leader, I don't know what is.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
This award has nothing to do with sportsmanship though, that's what the Lady Byng is for. I couldn't tell you how he is as a leader, but his teammates seem to like him, and he plays hard, that's definitely a form of leadership.

Every single time I see him play he does a couple of embellishments and f*** ups and then laughs about it. Could you picture Wheele doing that? I don’t think that’s leadership.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is a team nominated award, the Predators nominated Subban for it. Just like the Jets nominated Hendricks. There are 31 nominees (or 32 if you count both Sedins). So whether or not Subban has great leadership skills is kind of a moot point. This is pretty much a defacto 'great community and charity work' award. Actual leadership award is the Messier award (go Wheeler!).

Reactions: cheswick and Oilpeg

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

I agree he gave a hospital 10 million$, helping out kids ... heck he even surprised them and drove the school bus once. He is a nice guy except when you play against him.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Exactly what is the difference between this award the Mark Messier Award?

They both say they're for 'leadership on and off the ice', but the Clancy is really for off-ice (community leadership) and the Messier is for on-ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad