Prospect Info: Matt Hackett

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This kid has a very solid future. He's ok positionally, but he is extremely athletic. The Wild were up against a wall with him though. They HAD to trade him as he is waiver eligible next season, no way this kid clears waivers. The Wild also do not have room for him on the NHL roster next year either, so he was going to be traded sooner or later.

You guys got a pretty good goalie prospect here.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wondering what his waiver eligible status means for us, with Jhonas as an RFA and Miller still signed.

With Regier's comments to StoneDuff, it sounds like "with our situation" means that Miller will be shopped in the offseason, and Enroth/Hackett will share the load during the transition years, in an attempt to see one step up and seize the job permanently.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Have you watched him a lot? What's his projection? Very good AHLer? Solid NHL backup? Quality NHL starter? Can you compare him to a current/semi-current NHLer?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Have you watched him a lot? What's his projection? Very good AHLer? Solid NHL backup? Quality NHL starter? Can you compare him to a current/semi-current NHLer?

I do think he can make it as a starter in the NHL. He's going to do so on his athletic ability. The guy is so quick laterally it's crazy. He's going to spend some time as a backup though as he can be a bit streaky.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I do think he can make it as a starter in the NHL. He's going to do so on his athletic ability. The guy is so quick laterally it's crazy. He's going to spend some time as a backup though as he can be a bit streaky.

Didn't he have those 4898303490 minutes to start his NHL career with shutouts?

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I think his potential is to be a solid #1. Not an elite goalie. But, he will be an average/middle of the road goaltender who I wouldn't doubt if he's your future #1 for a long time. We have seen flashes of him the last two seasons and he has proved he can play in the NHL, he just needs some time and consistency.

Edit: Yes, he has more talent than Enroth. But, he needs some time to progress some more before he is ready to be a regular NHL player.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Didn't he have those 4898303490 minutes to start his NHL career with shutouts?

Yes he did, while playing for a Wild team that was injured top to bottom and back to front, thus only had 2 legit NHL'ers on the top 2 lines. Pretty damned impressive.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
He's definitely a streaky goalie, he had some not great play at times in houston, thus when Kuemper started getting more time and leapfrogged him on the depth chart, but he also has all the physical tools to be a #1 goalie, IMO. Plus he has a good last name for a goalie.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
To the OP and anyone else reading: he is exempt from waivers for another season after this one.
Because he's a goalie, he gets more than the almost standard three year exemption for skaters.

He was 20 when he signed his ELC, so he gets four years or 80 NHL games.
He currently has two years and 67 games remaining.
If he plays no games with the Sabres this year, he'll have one year and 67 remaining next year.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
To the OP and anyone else reading: he is exempt from waivers for another season after this one.
Because he's a goalie, he gets more than the almost standard three year exemption for skaters.

He was 20 when he signed his ELC, so he gets four years or 80 NHL games.
He currently has two years and 67 games remaining.
If he plays no games with the Sabres this year, he'll have one year and 67 remaining next year.

I posted this in the draft thread but it seems more appropriate here.

Do you think the trade for Hackett has future implications for Miller being traded this Summer or in the future? From your experience is Hackett one of the top 5 goalie prospects in the league. His grade of 7.5C is equivalent to Lehner (7.5C) who many consider the top goalie prospect in addition to Markstrom.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Another thing we need to consider is the fact that many people think Leggio is near NHL ready as well. Could be an interesting three way battle between Enroth, Leggio and Hackett.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Another thing we need to consider is the fact that many people think Leggio is near NHL ready as well. Could be an interesting three way battle between Enroth, Leggio and Hackett.

.........huh?

Unless Leggio is the 2nd coming of Tim Thomas, he is what he is -- a very solid starting AHL goalie that may or may not get a couple of cups of coffee in the NHL as a backup.

Leggio isn't really in the conversation of Sabres starting goalie. At all.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

If anything, it'd be a three way GCT with Hax, Enroth, and Makarov.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm of the opinion that Markarov is the future starting goalie for this team. I may be in the minority but I think 2015 is going to be a redux of 2005 when Miller came up.

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
.........huh?

Unless Leggio is the 2nd coming of Tim Thomas, he is what he is -- a very solid starting AHL goalie that may or may not get a couple of cups of coffee in the NHL as a backup.

Leggio isn't really in the conversation of Sabres starting goalie. At all.

He is in the some conversations for MVP of the entire AHL this season. So yes, if Miller is indeed traded, he deserves to be in the mix going forward.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He is in the some conversations for MVP of the entire AHL this season. So yes, if Miller is indeed traded, he deserves to be in the mix going forward.

Prediction. He slips out of the mix when he faces NHL competition. I hear Mancari is going to be a star too. Ever hear of Jody Gage, some AHL stars are not cut out for bigs.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I liked this guy when I watched him a few games. Hackett. I'd give him some shots soon; maybe not right now but next season put him in. I also agree with Chain...Hackett being a starter>Enroth being a starter

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
Prediction. He slips out of the mix when he faces NHL competition. I hear Mancari is going to be a star too. Ever hear of Jody Gage, some AHL stars are not cut out for bigs.

perfectly possible. Until that happens lets not assume anything, or jump to unnecessary conclusions. "He will never be an NHL goalie..." Ok anyone who says that is just speculating and clearly ignoring the success he is having.

I wouldn't bet on him replacing Miller, but to deny him the chance in an open competition would be foolish.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
That .921 SVP his rookie year has me excited. Shocked he went 3-6 with those numbers but that probably had more to do with the wild last year. Since he's already 23 will he be ready for next year as atleast a backup job? I wouldn't mind if he got a start or two down the stretch, we got 4 call ups might as well use one on him.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
One of my favorite goalie prospects in the league. Glad to have him. It'll be interesting to see where he is next year.

Also I don't expect ROC to use him much because of Leggio. Which is unfortunate.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Does anyone think he might get a game with the Sabres before the end of the year? Just to see what he has?

I'm happy to get a goalie prospect. Wanted the team to spend an early pick on one, but now they don't need to. Plus he's a lot closer to the NHL than anyone they could draft.

I'm going to see if I can find his NHL starts somewhere on gamecenter, really curious to see how he is.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
So that means we will for sure move one of Miller/Enroth in the offseason, am I right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->