Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
As much as I hate to pin a loss on this kid, last night is 100% on him. His terrible play so early took the wind out of the entire team. To keep playing him that much after that was almost as dumb as his play was.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Ummm, yeah..ok... The team never recovered from his incredibly poor play. Sorry, but this loss is on Grizz.
They looked pretty good for the few minutes after Bergeron scored. Unless Gryz made that play in overtime for the winning goal, this loss is 100% on him. He did not have a good game. But it’s one game. I have faith he comes back strong tomorrow night.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Shit happens

I remember getting an F on a science report and I was pretty much A student and teachers pet (the females)

The analytics love Grizzy pooh (my nickname for him) and the eyeball test I give him 2 thumbs up

I also pass the Jack Edwards test since I'm there at the games so my opinion should be adjusted like OPS is in baseball for parks - maybe a red check mark

If he's 6 feet he's Ryan Suter - as it is he's very good

I also once dropped a pop up in a little league playoff game that cost my team s game- you think Grzelcyk had a problem

I blame little league for not calling the infield fly rule (ok there was 2 outs)

Griz isn't perfect no one is

Last edited:

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
**** happens

I remember getting an F on a science report and I was pretty much A student and teachers pet (the females)

The analytics love Grizzy pooh (my nickname for him) and the eyeball test I give him 2 thumbs up

I also pass the Jack Edwards test since I'm there at the games so my opinion should be adjusted like OPS is in baseball for parks - maybe a red check mark

If he's 6 feet he's Ryan Suter - as it is he's very good

I also once dropped a pop up in a little league playoff game that cost my team s game

I blame little league for not calling the infield fly rule (ok there was 2 outs)

Griz isn't perfect no one is
I struck out with runners on base once in Babe Ruth to end a game. Damn curveball.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Ummm, yeah..ok... The team never recovered from his incredibly poor play. Sorry, but this loss is on Grizz.
Do you watch these games or EA Sports sim of it?

Have you seen the lack of effort? Poor shot selection? Bad puck management by everyone and you are going to place the entire game on one player and his mistake?

Love box score analysis from people..,

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I struck out with runners on base once in Babe Ruth to end a game. Damn curveball.

I once chunked a chord really bad (like wrong key, clanky bad) on stage in front of about 3000 people. The show went on :laugh:

Grizz is fine. He's taking a beating but he will be better for this experience and he does most things right, most times. Not bad for a rookie d-man.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
As much as I hate to pin a loss on this kid, last night is 100% on him. His terrible play so early took the wind out of the entire team. To keep playing him that much after that was almost as dumb as his play was.

Didnt he do the same thing in the final game of the season?
Turnover early on that killed the crowd agaibst florida.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Kid made a mistake. Big f***ing deal. Fact is he has played well in the playoffs, especially given his lack of experience. If that mistake leading to a goal last night is what caused the team to lose focus and then the game then this team is Charmin soft and not worth a shit. But that mistake is not why the team lost. Griz is far from a major problem. There are a couple defenders who are costing the Bs more than Griz is on the whole. There are some well paid veteran forwards who are not pulling their weight and are shitting the bed defensively at key times and not converting on numerous good chances in the offensive zone. Those are far bigger problems than one misplay by a rookie who is playing well.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I think Krug had at least as much trouble with the puck in his own end as Grzelcyk did in Game 3. The puck bobble could have happened to any player, no matter how experienced. Many of the B's were turning the puck over in that game, thanks to Tampa pressure. Even Bergeron (gasp!).

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Griz is a good puck moving bottom pairing guy. Just remember this game when people said he should be in the top four and makes Krug expendable.
Well in fairness to him for a while he was playing like he belonged in the top 4, but yeah he struggled in Game 3. That said, Krug has been lousy almost the entire playoffs, so I'd argue neither one looks top 4 these days.

Quick note on Gryz's puck bobble...yes him losing the puck created a 2-on-1, but could McQuaid have played that any more poorly? He shaded way too much towards Johnson and left the goal scorer virtually alone. Gryz still had a chance to angle off or even take down Johnson if McQuaid shaded the other way. I don't think enough blame for how that was handled has been put on Gryz's partner.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Griz is a good puck moving bottom pairing guy. Just remember this game when people said he should be in the top four and makes Krug expendable.

Other than the mistake, which could have happened to anyone, I thought he was pretty good?

I still see him skating well and making good passes out of the zone. I realize that Grizz gets much more sheltered minutes than Krug (who I like), but in this series, Krug has been the lesser player of the two. He's having a hard time transitioning the puck, he's getting shots blocked, and taking some dumb penalties. I think he's playing hurt myself.

As far as Grizz goes, the kid spoils us with his steady play. He's only a rookie and this is his first playoff experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook and DKH

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Other than the mistake, which could have happened to anyone, I thought he was pretty good?

I still see him skating well and making good passes out of the zone. I realize that Grizz gets much more sheltered minutes than Krug (who I like), but in this series, Krug has been the lesser player of the two. He's having a hard time transitioning the puck, he's getting shots blocked, and taking some dumb penalties. I think he's playing hurt myself.

As far as Grizz goes, the kid spoils us with his steady play. He's only a rookie and this is his first playoff experience.

You bring up a good point about Gryz playing his first playoff. None of us expected him to crack the lineup in any form this season and he was one of our steadiest dmen, so we need to keep expectations in check. He was lousy on Wednesday but he wasn't alone, and I attribute most of that to poor adjustments to a much more aggressive forecheck from TB. The entire D corps better be up to the task tonight.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
One bad Gryz game out of how many? Kid will bounce back tonight with a huge effort, you can quote me on it. This thread will be flooded with praise after tonight.

Reactions: FanSince72

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
One bad Gryz game out of how many? Kid will bounce back tonight with a huge effort, you can quote me on it. This thread will be flooded with praise after tonight.

Yeah hes been good enough to deserve a shot at bouncing back. Tampa has clearly game planned to pound him and Krug though.

Reactions: JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Yeah hes been good enough to deserve a shot at bouncing back. Tampa has clearly game planned to pound him and Krug though.

This.

Game 2 him and Krug were getting physically removed from the puck. Especially in their own zone.

Aside from that fluke play in game 3, I thought his play improved.

People need to hamper expectations.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Blaming a loss on a kid when there are multiple SC winning veterans on a team is an incredibly silly thing to say. Ever heard of "overcoming adversity?"

He had a bad game, doesnt mean he lost them the game.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
A lot of the dee made mistakes that could have end up in the net. Kid needs to bounce back if we ever expect him to be a keeper like I do. Without him our transition gets worse and the forwards need to do a better job of getting open and presenting sticks, we seem so slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->