Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I guess Grzlelcyk "has a good stick"? That seems to be one of the new sayings. It usually applies to a non-physical player who would rather deflect someone's pass rather than take the body.

"Puck luck" was trendy for a time. It simply was an excuse for being outworked by the other team and blaming it on somehow not getting any breaks.

Bottom line- Gryz is an ok player but not worth nearly 4 mil per season. He sure doesn't belong in the top pair. I guess mgmt feels paying him like a top two will make it happen? Not seeing it.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Gryz is a future leader. Glad he's getting the opportunity he's earned.
He's he displayed some leadership qualities? I'm not saying he hasnt, I just haven't seen anything from him that screams future leader.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Why do we care how someone plays defense, as long as they're effective?

Some people only want old-time smashmouth hockey because it entertains them- it isn't about whether the player is effective or not. In fact, Gryz could be a shitty defensive player so long as he was 6.2 215 and crushed people.

Reactions: StrBender

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Some people only want old-time smashmouth hockey because it entertains them- it isn't about whether the player is effective or not. In fact, Gryz could be a shitty defensive player so long as he was 6.2 215 and crushed people.
Yeah who wants to be entertained? I'm sure I'm not the only one not entertained by his "good stick".
As I said, I don't mind having him but not at that huge overpayment.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah who wants to be entertained? I'm sure I'm not the only one not entertained by his "good stick".
As I said, I don't mind having him but not at that huge overpayment.

I wasn't specifically talking about you, but if hitting and fighting floats your boat, then okay. Disliking a player's style doesn't mean overpayment, though. Gryz is very effective, you just don't like his game because he is small and doesn't smash people. If this is a "huge" overpayment, what are your comparables?

Reactions: DBL84

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Hey Peeps coming in peace,

can you guys tell me how he has looked on game one? do you guys think he will be THE guy for all season long to replace Krug?

thanks in advance.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

can you guys tell me how he has looked on game one? do you guys think he will be THE guy for all season long to replace Krug?

thanks in advance.

Played an uneven game to me but once he settles in that PP roll I believe he will be very much as successful on the point total as Krug.

5 on 5 no comparison Griz is a better player ,skater and defender.

Reactions: Montreal Impact FC

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

thanks in advance.
Krug last night gave away the puck for a Colorado goal and was a minus two in the 8-0 drubbing of the Blues. Just one game, but...... he's 0-0-0 in the two games he's played for his new team.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

thanks in advance.
He looked very good.

I assume it’s a fantasy question? He will not replace Krug. They want him to, but he won’t replace the powerplay production.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
it is, but not just based on points..

+/- pts goals assists hits shots blocks SHP PPP
Gryz is a better 5-on-5 player than Krug. But I don’t think he’ll do what you want him to. Leave it late or cheap. Depth player on a fantasy club.

I’m not beating on Gryz... I’m a fanboy. I just don’t see his value being measured in those numbers. Advanced stats would be a different story

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Gryz is a better 5-on-5 player than Krug. But I don’t think he’ll do what you want him to. Leave it late or cheap. Depth player on a fantasy club.

I’m not beating on Gryz... I’m a fanboy. I just don’t see his value being measured in those numbers. Advanced stats would be a different story

Feeding Pasta a 20 foot pass all season long on the PP will be easy money. Griz will out point Krug this year.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

thanks in advance.

Thought he was good. He will either be on the 1st or 2nd PP unit all year.... looked great there Thursday. Moved the puck well and got it through to the net.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
So far so good. This kids skating is great to watch and he can move with ease. This article from Fluto was interesting about a new breakout strategy for the B's. It's pretty much catered to Gryz. They sure love him. PP1 time, 2nd pairing, fresh new breakout. I sure hope if pays off. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles some of the bigger matchups.

Breaking out: The critical adjustment that could unlock the Bruins offense

Also, I already noticed that we're force feeding Bergeron on the "bumper" position on the PP. yes we got 2 goals, just an observation, not a complaint.

Teams were also giving plenty of space and time for Gryz, in my opinion, not respecting his shot. If he can add a nice PP shot, nothing fancy, kind of like Lidstrom did. 6 inches high on net, it would help him on the PP quiet a bit. Cause you know everyone will be cheating toward Pasta.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal

he is indeed a depth player. he is bubble starter in a 6 defenseman roster in a 10 contestants pool. plus I have 2 extra bench defenseman.

so he would be kinda around 50th to 70th defenseman overall.

in a versus weekly pool so depending on my needs.. pp points and shots he could bump out to favor other more physical defenseman who can hit block shots and perhaps still shoot. BTW does Gryz have SH points potential?

thanks peeps if you need any assistance on habs players let me know. for Exemple I took a gamble with Romanov with looks like bring a bit of everything. he is also border line 5-6th defeseman on my pool.

Last edited:

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
I guess Grzlelcyk "has a good stick"? That seems to be one of the new sayings. It usually applies to a non-physical player who would rather deflect someone's pass rather than take the body.

"Puck luck" was trendy for a time. It simply was an excuse for being outworked by the other team and blaming it on somehow not getting any breaks.

Bottom line- Gryz is an ok player but not worth nearly 4 mil per season. He sure doesn't belong in the top pair. I guess mgmt feels paying him like a top two will make it happen? Not seeing it.
He is a 5-6 DMAN....at best. top 4 on our team is shameful.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

4 million these days is a second pair defenseman, which he is. Expecting him to be more or truly quarterback a PP is setting him up for failure.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
4 million these days is a second pair defenseman, which he is. Expecting him to be more or truly quarterback a PP is setting him up for failure.

I think he has PP QB ability. He moves the puck very well and has good vision. Aren't the numbers when he took over for Krug last season on the PP relatively the same? Now, I don't think he's Krug-level but I could see him putting up a lot of assists and being a good facilitator back there.

That said, I really wish they would give McAvoy a chance on the Top unit. He's your #1 defenseman, your franchise defenseman and should be playing in all situations. It's a role he easily could excel in so I don't understand that logic.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->