Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If he had bigger/couple of inches taller frame he might not get that concussion in game 2 in the Finals and Bruins might not have to lose that game in OT. Could have been 3-0 lead instead of 2-1. The rest is history.

This has already been well-answered, but are you saying that big, strong players don't get concussed? You must be thinking of little guys like Carlo, Rick Nash, Adam McQuaid, Kevan Miller, David Backes . . . and those are just recent Bruins.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
I remember the days our ahl insiders told us grez would never have enough nhl offense to qb a pp....

I guess we will now find out if they were correct?

If he can become legitimate on the pp... contract is value

But... if he remains a 20 point undersized 18 min a game defender that isnt great on the pk, the contract might bite

Perhaps a 1-2 year 'prove it' deal would have been smarter?

I kind of am hoping to see vaakainen, zboril, lauzon, ahcan as our left side in 2 years

And if mcavoy, carlo are still here... its a good blend of size/mobility

Will grez become the vet 7th dman at nearly 4 mill to support these stud kids? I dont know

This is an entirely home grown group though as just said... and its a group im stoked over

Great job drafting and developing

Almost eases my pain not landing oel
We will for 30 seconds on PP2 after McAvoy runs PP1

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I did. It was Bourque, Sweeney, a half healthy McLaren and bunch of crap. Dean Chynoweth, Malkoc, Barry friggin Richter. At least this season's version has prospects that might actually shine in the situation.

You forgot Jon Rohloff. How could you?

Not to get off-topic in the Gryz thread, but back then I didn't get to see too many Bruins games, just a handful a year on CBC and TSN.

TSN aired the game in Maple Leafs Gardens on 03/03/97 right after the big Oates/Tocchet/Ranford trade so I got to see it.

It was Jim Carey's debut as a Bruin (as well as Allison and Carter). Ironically a rookie Steve Staios played before he was dealt to Vancouver a week later. The D featured luminaries such as Anders Myrvold, Bob Beers and the aformentioned Dean Chynoweth + Sweeney and Bourque.

Carey got absolutely lit up, allowed 4 goals on 9 shots before being mercifully pulled after the 1st period in favour future Panthers goalie coach Robbie Tallas.

For me as a young Bruins fan it was absolute rock bottom. I felt terrible for Bourque (my all-time favorite player to this day) watching the Bruins sink down to the basement of the league. Nothing he could do but watch the ship sink.

Last edited:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Pretty limited in terms of minutes (201 last year), but when they were on the ice together, Grzelcyk and McAvoy was a dominant pairing.

grzelma94

The eye test last year was very good to me.

That should be a go-to pair in key situation next year and whoever gets the puck in D zone, you just know it’s getting out and up ice.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
We will for 30 seconds on PP2 after McAvoy runs PP1

I’m not sure we see any of those on PP1. I rather have Krejci take the Krug spot. Played that spot in junior and with Bruins at times and always does very well. Good to enter the zone, sweet passer to Pasta an deceptive shot.

Gryz-McAvoy could both be on PP2 with a combination of the remaining F in Coyle/Kase/Smith/Bjork/Stud.

Krejci-Pasta
Marchand-Bergy-DeBrusk

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Always loved the Grzelcyk-Mccavoy pair and always wondered why they were only paired together when Chara was injured. Gotta love how fast the puck was breaking out when they were together.

Also, anyone knows why 3.685M and not 3.5M? I'd understand if it were 3.625 for the extra 500k on 4 years but 3,685 is just a weird number.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
I’m not sure we see any of those on PP1. I rather have Krejci take the Krug spot. Played that spot in junior and with Bruins at times and always does very well. Good to enter the zone, sweet passer to Pasta an deceptive shot.

Gryz-McAvoy could both be on PP2 with a combination of the remaining F in Coyle/Kase/Smith/Bjork/Stud.

Krejci-Pasta
Marchand-Bergy-DeBrusk
Give him time and 73 > 47 as a pp qb. I’m not saying he will garner as many points as torey did but there’s no doubt in my mind he will make the correct play more often and as a result will run a more effective power play.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Give him time and 73 > 47 as a pp qb. I’m not saying he will garner as many points as torey did but there’s no doubt in my mind he will make the correct play more often and as a result will run a more effective power play.

It wouldn’t be a bad option at all. Just rather have Krejci in that Krug spot.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Pretty solid group? Sure for the AHL. That might be the weakest Bruins D ever.

It's not that bad, probably not even close to the worst ever. In fact it's quite respectable. However we are kidding ourselves if we think we can win a Cup with this D. It's not talented or tough enough, and it's offensive potential is limited. Guys like McAvoy, Gryz, Clifton and maybe even Zboril all have the ability to offer more production, but only to a point. The Bruins have done a great job developing their own blueline talent, but it's not enough. As it stands Chucky is their only top tier defender and even then he is not in the same league as the Hedmans, Pietrangelos and Carlsons of the world.

If this is our defensive lineup come the start of the season, or at least whenever the trade deadline ends up being, then their chances in the playoffs are zero.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
This is a good deal for someone who has been a warrior for us and will have to step up his game big time. He will be up for it and I'm glad to have his prime years locked up.

I hope for his and our sake he's not expected to be a top pairing defenseman. Glad he's here and he'll do great with more responsibility but I don't think he's the short or long term answer there.

laxdoc

Sep 30, 2007
Gryz is so calm on the puck. In today's game, penalty kill units are trending toward hyper aggression. IMO, Gryz will take his offensive game to another level and be really good on the PP.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
I'm looking forward to seeing how his offensive side develops. Hopefully should see an uptick with him getting more offensive zone starts now that Krug is gone.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Whoever thinks Grzelcyk is a top pair defenceman is desilusional and better be ready for a rude awakening. He will get eaten alive if he's to be the solution to play a heavy minutes against the top lines.

What does “desilusional” mean?

Does that mean that if Grizz is sheltered as much as Krug was, he will be fine?

If so, I agree 100%.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What does “desilusional” mean?

Does that mean that if Grizz is sheltered as much as Krug was, he will be fine?

If so, I agree 100%.

Except he never has been sheltered like that and has been fine. As a third pair guy, he routinely got matched up with 3rd and 4th lines which generally feature heavier, grindier players. His o-zone starts compared to Krug this past season were night and day.

Reactions: Bodit9

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Except he never has been sheltered like that and has been fine. As a third pair guy, he routinely got matched up with 3rd and 4th lines which generally feature heavier, grindier players. His o-zone starts compared to Krug this past season were night and day.

Yes, I know. Apparently what I thought was heavy sarcasm didn’t come across. My point was that Grizz will be fine in the Top 4

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad