Matt Frattin

abdew29

Aug 4, 2011
Toronto
What do you guys think of Matt Frattin? Looks to me like he might be back in form as he is doing quite well for the Marlies. Most of us were quite excited about him before that devastating knee injury he suffered in the AHL playoffs a couple years back. However, he's been a shell of his former self since then and after the Bernier trade, but seems to be turning it around now. Does he still have potential? Should the Leafs give him another chance?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Nah he's done. He's an AHL player now or a decent 4th liner I'd say. Maybe if we could use a body next season in the press box or as someone to fill in when we trade more valuable UFA's near the trade deadline he could be used nicely.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The 1 or 2 games he played when he last got called up I thought he looked more like lockout-year Frattin.

Was physical. Then he got sent right back down. He can be a 3rd/4th line guy who brings energy and some skill. But he is at the stage now where hes not going to be an "impact guy"

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
just another AHL guy who benefited from that shortened lock out where they were more engaged having played 20+ games already that year. lots I could add to that list...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What do you guys think of Matt Frattin? Looks to me like he might be back in form as he is doing quite well for the Marlies. Most of us were quite excited about him before that devastating knee injury he suffered in the AHL playoffs a couple years back. However, he's been a shell of his former self since then and after the Bernier trade, but seems to be turning it around now. Does he still have potential? Should the Leafs give him another chance?

cost effective filler player to be used during the rebuild parhaps

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Probably a career AHLer unfortunately. He'll get another chance next season though and might make it due to the rebuild.

With that said, he's been great with the Marlies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It's a shame Frattin hasn't worked out. Guy is on pace for 30 goals with the Marlies. A big, physical, scoring power RW, exactly what the Leafs need going forward.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's a shame Frattin hasn't worked out. Guy is on pace for 30 goals with the Marlies. A big, physical, scoring power RW, exactly what the Leafs need going forward.

Physical is a little stretch, big is too. Ive seen him in public, probably around 6', 205. youd think 5'11 was a midgit, if you relied only on the info you got from these boards... So I think it's funny each time I hear that 6' is a big player.

frattin is a stocky 6', and is most effective when playing physical...but hes prone to lazy stretches where he doesn't use his body enough.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Jeez can someone please explain to me the Frattin love? One of my buddies loves him too. I just dont get it, he has hardly done anything in the NHL while being Kessels age and people still like him. Blows my mind.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Frattin just isn't that good. Product of Kadri playing amazing during the lockout shortened year.

As an aside I can't think of this mediocre player without thinking of his breakaway in game 7 right before the Bruins came back. He converts on that and the Leafs win the game. Granted it's not his fault the Leafs allowed 4 unanswered goals in quick succession but it's hard not to think about .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
After he got called up during the 2012-2013 season when Lupul got hurt, I remember Frattin was scoring almost a goal per game. However later on he had surgery and was never the same after that. Plus who can forget him missing the breakaway in Game 7 against Boston when the Leafs were leading 4-2.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Career AHL player.

Never bought in to the hype, and never understood why anyone thought he was anything more than a 4th line player.

Thought he served his best purpose to the Leafs when he was traded to get Bernier. Didn't understand the logic in trading D'Amigo to bring him back.

BB

mikebel111*

Product of Kadri's hot streak. Great AHL player but mostly useless in the NHL
You earn minutes in the NHL and frankly hasnt done that. Given chance after chance yet still fails

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario
I think he'll get another shot with the Leafs, either this year or next season. He's a pretty good player, pretty solid delta corsi #'s in the NHL level. It would be nice having some home grown players in our lineup

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Jeez can someone please explain to me the Frattin love? One of my buddies loves him too. I just dont get it, he has hardly done anything in the NHL while being Kessels age and people still like him. Blows my mind.

It's a guy thing, his name is an anagram for Farttin, it makes us happy.

I'm not overly optimistic for him as a Leaf, maybe with opportunities in the rebuild, but I won't hold my breath for Farttin.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Frattin needs a playmaker to be effective in a top 6 role and benefit from his lethal shot... The lockout year he played with Kadri until he had a small issue with his knee, had it scoped to clean the loose cartilage and frankly since that point he got shafted by the great Carlyle. Yet another young guy misused and treated poorly during his development as a young player with the blue & white.

It was said the thinking was that Frattin & JVR were to be flanking Kadri this year... At the start of camp in the scrimmages they were the best line yet once pre-season started where was it?

Confidance like in life is such huge thing once you lose it it's tough to get back... The treatment of Frattin how this organization mainly Carlyle can't see chemistry when it's there if it hit in the face. Frattin with Kadri was dangerous. Should have never broke those 2 up. Both would be better off if they stayed together.

Frattin and many others would be part of a 3 page essay form write up that I could provide in just how bad & detrimental Carlyle was to development of the young guys of this team. He did more damage in 3 years that has landed this team where it's at than most on here could even begin to understand. That's why he was fired and why the talking of letting him go started during that 10 game winning streak.

The talking was one of Gardiner or Rielly was to be paired with Phanuef in the off season yet in Pre-season neither guy played with him to prepare for the season... Carlyle went dead contradicting what he said in the off season reserved to his stubborn ways and was fired IN JUST... too little too late the damage has been done only time will tell if this organization wakes up on the player development front.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Frattin needs a playmaker to be effective in a top 6 role and benefit from his lethal shot... The lockout year he played with Kadri until he had a small issue with his knee, had it scoped to clean the loose cartilage and frankly since that point he got shafted by the great Carlyle. Yet another young guy misused and treated poorly during his development as a young player with the blue & white.

It was said the thinking was that Frattin & JVR were to be flanking Kadri this year... At the start of camp in the scrimmages they were the best line yet once pre-season started where was it?

Confidance like in life is such huge thing once you lose it it's tough to get back... The treatment of Frattin how this organization mainly Carlyle can't see chemistry when it's there if it hit in the face. Frattin with Kadri was dangerous. Should have never broke those 2 up. Both would be better off if they stayed together.

Frattin and many others would be part of a 3 page essay form write up that I could provide in just how bad & detrimental Carlyle was to development of the young guys of this team. He did more damage in 3 years that has landed this team where it's at than most on here could even begin to understand. That's why he was fired and why the talking of letting him go started during that 10 game winning streak.

The talking was one of Gardiner or Rielly was to be paired with Phanuef in the off season yet in Pre-season neither guy played with him to prepare for the season... Carlyle went dead contradicting what he said in the off season reserved to his stubborn ways and was fired IN JUST... too little too late the damage has been done only time will tell if this organization wakes up on the player development front.

Good post. We should have definitely been pairing Phaneuf with either Gardiner or Rielly. However, we paired him with Franson and it made Franson look good and we got a 1st out of it... so it's not all bad. I thought Gardiner and Phaneuf looked good in the past couple of games that they've been together. Having a legit top pair I think is important and the only way that happens is if we have Gardiner - Phaneuf or Rielly - Phaneuf.

Frattin barely got a chance in pre-season. He didn't get much of a chance to play with good players... but he was hardly ever a liability on the ice.

If Kessel is gone in the offseason... than we basically have no one who can play RW. I'm hoping that Frattin and Brown play next year and one of them is Kadri's winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad