Matt Dumba with the assist of the year

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
It drives me absolutely bonkers to see practically every team using the drop pass play on the PP. These coaches are much smarter than setting up such a silly play.

without looking it up but to my "eye test" this play rarely works. Guys are just waiting at the blue line.....well atleast it does not work for the vaunted NYI PP....

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
without looking it up but to my "eye test" this play rarely works. Guys are just waiting at the blue line.....well atleast it does not work for the vaunted NYI PP....

What bothers me is that the team is attacking through the zone, and then all of a sudden they drop it back forcing the three players up front to stand still at the blue line waiting to gain the zone. So if it is dumped in, no one is skating to penetrate the zone. You'd think these brilliant coaches could figure out something better.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Him and Laine should team up.
but to be fair laine he had 2 assists this year were against eastern teams in o.t with a point in each game in the bank already as apposed to a division rival that cost you 2 points. not to mention he is 5 years younger.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
but to be fair laine he had 2 assists this year were against eastern teams in o.t with a point in each game in the bank already as apposed to a division rival that cost you 2 points. not to mention he is 5 years younger.

I'm not sure what this is all about but I was referring to Laine last season scoring on his own net.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
i remember a similar thread about an equal error from getzlaf a few years ago... lol some defended him as some sort of genius...to smart for his stupid teammates ^^
He does it basically every time we go to 3 on 3 overtime... some would say hes the master of the drop pass to the wrong team

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Give Ehlers credit. He read that perfecto

Indeed. It seems that when Dumba looked back, Ehlers knew that he was going for a drop pass. Here's his quote:

"I was kind of looking to see what he was going to do," Ehlers said. "I saw he looked back at Granlund and I was hoping he was going to drop that puck."

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You can't get assists when the other team scores.
:naughty:.

U7Ghu2s.gifv

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Checking in to say that Dumba followed up his worst game of the year with his best. Had two assists (originally credited with a goal, but changed to Nino with the slight deflection in front), but also looked solid on D, and logged a lot of TOI . Was a force on the PP point.

Rumours of his demise are being greatly exaggerated.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
It drives me absolutely bonkers to see practically every team using the drop pass play on the PP. These coaches are much smarter than setting up such a silly play.
I heard on the radio the 08 red wings started it. They usually dropped it back to a prime zetterberg or datsyuk so it worked great. Now the whole league does it

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
WOW, how the heck did he know that guy would be there to get the puck. Nice!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad