Injury Report: Matt Dumba (Upper-body, out significant amount of time)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I hope he's in a state of shock because he just found out it'll require surgery and he'll be out longer than the 3-ish weeks he was expecting. I hope it's not because any of this has implications beyond this season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, at this point, why not give them to us if he's getting surgery anyway? I guess they're technically waiting on a second opinion, but still.

Fenton mentioned that he doesn't disclose any details and he encourages the players not to disclose any details because, let's say it's a hand injury for example, Fenton doesn't want the players to be at risk of re-injury when playing against teams or players that like to play a little dirtier.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Fenton mentioned that he doesn't disclose any details and he encourages the players not to disclose any details because, let's say it's a hand injury for example, Fenton doesn't want the players to be at risk of re-injury when playing against teams or players that like to play a little dirtier.
Why is this even a problem in the NHL? In the NFL, teams are required to reveal each player's exact injuries. You don't really hear about guys targeting another players wrists or shoulders or whatever in the NFL. Why is NHL culture different in a bad way?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Why is this even a problem in the NHL? In the NFL, teams are required to reveal each player's exact injuries. You don't really hear about guys targeting another players wrists or shoulders or whatever in the NFL. Why is NHL culture different in a bad way?

The only reason that the NFL has to say the exact injury is because of betting. NHL players tend to play through injuries more than other sports. With all the post whistle scrums and along the board play it's not hard to for someone to tweak injury of someone else.

There are also the HIPPA laws to take into consideration. It'll come out what the injury is after the 2nd opinion and surgery (if needed).

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This is a pretty huge loss. I like Pateryn, but it was clear yesterday that he's a great 3rd pairing defender, but not a 2nd pairing defender (on a good corps). Then again, maybe he settles down and gels with Brodin.
On the plus side, I'm happy for Prosser, good soldier that he is.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The only reason that the NFL has to say the exact injury is because of betting. NHL players tend to play through injuries more than other sports. With all the post whistle scrums and along the board play it's not hard to for someone to tweak injury of someone else.

There are also the HIPPA laws to take into consideration. It'll come out what the injury is after the 2nd opinion and surgery (if needed).
Good point on the NFL, especially when a single player can swing the point spread by like 7 points (star QBs).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, at this point, why not give them to us if he's getting surgery anyway? I guess they're technically waiting on a second opinion, but still.
They got the second opinion on Thursday, the surgery is absolutely happening because of that second opinion.

Matt Dumba to have surgery, will miss 'significant time'...

The worst-case scenario has been realized for Wild defenseman Matt Dumba.
After getting a second opinion Thursday on what has been described to The Athletic as a “significant” upper-body injury, Dumba will indeed undergo surgery next week and be sidelined for an extended period.
“I want to make sure it all goes through on that day and then I’ll give you an update,” general manager Paul Fenton said. “He will be out for a significant time. We don’t know (how long) until they get in there. I’ve talked to three different doctors and, yes, they’ve given me a general timeline for it, but I don’t want to say anything (that comes back) to haunt us.
“Let’s just make sure first, see how the surgery goes and then we’ll make a statement from there.”

Apparently Russo knows what the injury is, but is choosing to respect Fenton's wishes on not disclosing it.

Fenton will not confirm Dumba’s exact injury and The Athletic, even though multiple sources have disclosed the injury, has decided to respect Fenton’s wish and not identify the injury.
“I’d really like to protect the player,” Fenton said. “It’s just my belief that we protect the player first, that we protect the organization. There’s a lot of times that I watch the wire and they give a specific injury, it scares me when they’re playing against opponents that might have a mean tendency to them. It’s just the nature of our game. I’d rather err on the precautionary that it’s upper or lower.”
As for Dumba, there is a settling down period the injury needs before he can undergo surgery. So Dumba will return to Calgary to visit family for Christmas before having the operation.
“He’s in a state of shock,” Fenton said. “We’ve told him to take the time that you need, to see family, to take the shock out of it. As a young man, he’s visibly upset. That’s the unfortunate part of our business, the injury part. He’s a young, emotional kid.”

Last edited:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Apparently Russo knows what the injury is, but is choosing to respect Fenton's wishes on not disclosing it.

Trying to win over his trust? It's pretty obvious Russo is suffering from a lack of inside knowledge from this management compared to Fletcher times.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
It's really bugging me not knowing what the injury is. I attended the game and I watched the replay on television, but I'm still puzzled.
If it's something that happened in the fight with Tkachuk then it's got to be his hand. But, he continued playing and didn't seem to show pain. Otherwise, I thought he may have strained something while chasing Giordano when Calgary scored shorthanded. But, how can a muscle strain require surgery?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
It's really bugging me not knowing what the injury is. I attended the game and I watched the replay on television, but I'm still puzzled.
If it's something that happened in the fight with Tkachuk then it's got to be his hand. But, he continued playing and didn't seem to show pain. Otherwise, I thought he may have strained something while chasing Giordano when Calgary scored shorthanded. But, how can a muscle strain require surgery?
It's got to be a totally torn muscle.

A friend of mine tore his hamstring off his bone / ligament whatever it connects to and needed surgery to sew it back on.

i can't remember exactly how long but he was messed up for almost a year.

Now thats a MAJOR muscle so if Dumda tore something upper body it could be much less time.

If Wild aren't in playoff picture I would wager that he's shut down for season

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I say BS to that. Dumba would know when something like that happened. Dumba doesn't know when this injury occurred.

You're probably right, and it's probably muscle related based on all I've read (I'm no expert on the human body) but I had a friend who actually had something similar happen to him. He was a mountain biker, and one day he fell off his bike as can happen when mountain biking, and then got back on and continued. He slowly got more and more pain in and around his elbow until finally two weeks later he decided to get it checked out because it had become unbearable over time. He had trouble bending it at all. Turns out he broke a bone there when he fell off his bike. The pain was there immediately, but it wasn't excruciating, so he chalked it up to normal "falling off your bike onto some rocks" pain. Seems possible that if Dumba did break a bone in his hand, he could chalk it up to "it hurts when you punch people" pain.

Reactions: FVM and TaLoN

P10p

May 15, 2012
I hope this doesn't affect him going forward. His shot is lethal and even the smallest lingering issue could have a huge impact on his main weapon

Willie Plett

Cold Lampin'
Oct 18, 2008

it looks like he's still practicing. the Wild Instagram posted a picture of him "prepping for Dallas"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad