Matt Duchene

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Do you guys think Dutchy will enjoy watching Colorado hoist a Stanley Cup while he is still in the league? I was a huge Duchene fan since the fist pump, but I'm pretty much on the "hope he never sees another playoff series" bandwagon.

I was thinking about him on my way into work this morning as I was listening to The Hockey Guy talking about the Preds in case anyone is wondering why I made a thread.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Interesting first post.

I usually have 1 year rule (maybe 2 years for some players) in which if their leaving was anything less than amicable, I wish them nothing but pain and failure. After that, I wish them all the best.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Duchene was my favorite player for years. He gave what, 6 years to the Avs organization. And by all accounts was a super good dude off-ice. I don't have any ill-will towards him at all. He wanted out from the team - so what? Every single person here has wanted out from a job at some point - for a myriad of different reasons. Sure, he could have handled it better but I wouldn't be upset to see him competing for, or even winning, a cup. I just hope its not with Nashville. I tend to have more hate towards franchises or other teams players, than ex-players.

I'd like to think any former-player would be happy for the players he played with in his tenure, but I guess that depends on how things really ended behind-the-scenes with them. Like you often hear about ex-players going to former teammates places for dinner when they are in town - I think I heard that Bura was invited to dinner at Wilson's house when we were in WSH.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Dutchy was and still remains one of my favorite Avs of all time. Could he have handled things better at the end? Sure, but he's also a human at the end of the day and people aren't perfect and I don't particularly hold anything against him like a lot of people seem to.

In the end it all worked out pretty great for the Avs and I hope he has lots of success. I'd welcome him back on this team in a heartbeat but that isn't in the cards. If the Avs win a Cup without him I don't think he'll really think twice about it and this team wouldn't be what it is now if he'd stayed so it's sort of moot.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I have nothing against him, but to me he's basically just like any other player in the league now. He's not the kind of player I cheer for on other teams - I usually trend toward the high effort guys or underdogs. Players with elite skills who don't always use them properly or put forth 100% effort? Not my cup of tea (unless they're on the Avs).

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
To Duchene I say, “He that is without sin, let him first cast a stone."

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Never really liked him, always thought he was pretty overrated by our fanbase. Still think he is by some of our fans and by general hockey fans and the hockey media. I didn't like how he never bought into the locker room culture and acted like a lone wolf at times. As a human person, I wish him nothing but the best, but as a hockey player, I couldn't care less about him or his career.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I think everyone's moved on, including him.
I don't think anyone that ever played competitive sports can think that. He was the initial part of the rebuild and that epic 2009 draft class and he is being outpaced by the 2nd and 3rd rounders from that draft. One is a Conn Smythe winner and the other is a Norris candidate while he is falling by the wayside. I would wager it would make him sick to his stomach to watch the Avalanche lift the cup while he is golfing.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I didn't like the way he left and obviously his teammates didn't either judging by some of their remarks (EJ Landy Mack).

What's done is done and I'm glad we moved on (and I'm sure he's happy now that he's in Nashville).

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think anyone that ever played competitive sports can think that. He was the initial part of the rebuild and that epic 2009 draft class and he is being outpaced by the 2nd and 3rd rounders from that draft. One is a Conn Smythe winner and the other is a Norris candidate while he is falling by the wayside. I would wager it would make him sick to his stomach to watch the Avalanche lift the cup while he is golfing.

I get it, he's human, and if I were him I certainly wouldn't be thrilled to see that any more than I was thrilled to see Ryan O'Reilly win the Cup and Conn Smythe. But I also don't think he believes he should've stayed with an organization that clearly didn't want him anymore. I imagine he's pretty happy where he's at.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
giphy.gif

Reactions: missionAvs

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I have a feeling Duchene would probably be rooting for the Avs if they made the cup finals and I'd be happy for him if he got one in Nashville. Duchene wanted to move on and we got an unrepeatable king's ransom, no hard feeling in my book.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Pretty
Never really liked him, always thought he was pretty overrated by our fanbase. Still think he is by some of our fans and by general hockey fans and the hockey media. I didn't like how he never bought into the locker room culture and acted like a lone wolf at times. As a human person, I wish him nothing but the best, but as a hockey player, I couldn't care less about him or his career.
Pretty much a ditto for me.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->