Proposal: Matt Duchene

Jets88

Jul 1, 2016
What do you think it would take to acquire Matt Duchene from the Sens? Hes 27 and only has one year left on his contract at 6 Million. The thought of him in between Laine and Ehlers sounds intriguing. Obviously we’d have still have to move some salary.

Thoughts?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
What do you think it would take to acquire Matt Duchene from the Sens? Hes 27 and only has one year left on his contract at 6 Million. The thought of him in between Laine and Ehlers sounds intriguing. Obviously we’d have still have to move some salary.

Thoughts?
Probably at least what they gave up for him this year. That's an organization in complete denial of the position they're in. Any trade for their 1C would mean you convinced them (with your insane overpayment) to start their rebuild now. They're fully aware that they have the worst team in the league plus Karlsson, and all of their personnel decisions have been about keeping him happy and giving him the best team they can right now. Any deviation from that philosophy is basically an admission of failure and a guaranteed pink slip. They should trade Duchene and Karlsson, but I don't think they have the cojones to do either of those things.

To answer the op question, I think it would cost something on an equal value with Ehlers + Niku and at least a 2nd. Maybe worse. I wouldn't even glance at it.

Reactions: Tommigun

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Probably at least what they gave up for him this year. That's an organization in complete denial of the position they're in. Any trade for their 1C would mean you convinced them (with your insane overpayment) to start their rebuild now. They're fully aware that they have the worst team in the league plus Karlsson, and all of their personnel decisions have been about keeping him happy and giving him the best team they can right now. Any deviation from that philosophy is basically an admission of failure and a guaranteed pink slip. They should trade Duchene and Karlsson, but I don't think they have the cojones to do either of those things.

To answer the op question, I think it would cost something on an equal value with Ehlers + Niku and at least a 2nd. Maybe worse. I wouldn't even glance at it.

Doubt it would cost that given he is a UFA next off-season. He also hasn't equalled Ehlers production the last two seasons so no way does he get you an Ehlers. He will go at the deadline for a Stastny type package imo.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Doubt it would cost that given he is a UFA next off-season. He also hasn't equalled Ehlers production the last two seasons so no way does he get you an Ehlers. He will go at the deadline for a Stastny type package imo.
In a rational world, I would fully agree. When the trading partner is Dorion dancing on Melnyk's strings, I predict the price is stupid, if they don't just declare him untouchable and lose him in free agency.

Not to give the impression that I think he's worth Ehlers or that we should try to acquire him. I just think that will be their asking price.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I also think they’d ask for the earth, because anything less means they reaaallly lost that trade; especially considering theAvs could end up with Hughes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They can ask for whatever they wan but they need someone to actually agree to it which I don't see happening.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I also think they’d ask for the earth, because anything less means they reaaallly lost that trade; especially considering theAvs could end up with Hughes.

They can ask for whatever they wan but they need someone to actually agree to it which I don't see happening.

And how do they not reaaaallly lose that trade if he walks after next season?

I think the Karlsson trade auction indicates they are finally ready to admit that they need a rebuild.

I'm not interested in giving up good assets to rent Duchene though. He would have to come with an extension.

Reactions: Ducky10

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I don’t understand why people think the jets need two 1Cs.

Sure, there are a handful of teams that do around the league, but they all have huge deficiencies in other areas. The cap won’t allow you to have top line players throughout the lineup. I’d rather have our great defence and wing depth.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I don't think Ottawa wants to swallow the bitterness of what Duchene would return. They paid dearly for him - in fact they might have paid Hughes for him.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I don’t understand why people think the jets need two 1Cs.

Sure, there are a handful of teams that do around the league, but they all have huge deficiencies in other areas. The cap won’t allow you to have top line players throughout the lineup. I’d rather have our great defence and wing depth.

Because every other top team will totally nix our depth pieces by just running two star calibre Cs for 40 of the 60 mins every night...

If the Jets are serious about a run then we need to get 1st line calibre play out of both of our top 2 Cs whether thats Little returning to form or someone else.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Because every other top team will totally nix our depth pieces by just running two star calibre Cs for 40 of the 60 mins every night...

If the Jets are serious about a run then we need to get 1st line calibre play out of both of our top 2 Cs whether thats Little returning to form or someone else.

I agree, I’m very afraid that the Little of last year will deplete our potential success(assuming he doesn’t regain form).

Honestly I’d be willing to move Buff for that type of 1C, we can’t just sit around and get worse other great teams get better.

Reactions: Ares

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't think the Jets need two #1 centers. They just need a second line center that actually works with Laine and/or Ehlers. Stastny isn't exactly a star center or significantly better than Little. Sometimes it's just about the fit.

With that in mind, I think Duchene is overkill. Ottawa won't trade him for much less than they gave up to get him and he'll be too expensive to re-sign.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Duchene's nickname is Douche. I don't think he's a good fit for our locker room.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary

When did they do that when we were a 110 point team without Stastny?

People act like we were a borderline playoff team without Stastny. We were still top 5.

Perreault-Little-Ehlers was our best 2nd line last season, contrary to popular belief. Keep ELL apart and this team can go still go head to head against any other team in the league and reasonably expect to win. Even with ELL dragging our production down we still came out with W's.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Wow ... I can't believe somebody wants this cancer seriously did you notice how the Av's improved after they traded Duchene. What's weird is Ottawa when down hill after acquiring him too.
The team that wants Jack Hughes should trade for Duchene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad