Speculation: Matt Duchene

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I believe that the big bonus structure Toronto gave Tavares is causing headaches for GMs with top 6 F/top 2 D who reaching UFA status soon. He's fully protected against a lockout and gets a big chunk of his money up front. He's also basically buyout proof. Instead of treating it like a one off you can bet that every player and agent wants in on this gravy train.

Was happening before Tavares, that contract just took it to the extreme. It's gonna be status quo until the next lockout, imo.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, I can't see a way where there isn't a bonus cap. Either a yearly percentage, or percentage of the whole contract value.

Maybe there won't be a lockout... ;)

Reactions: Cosmix

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Has there been anything said in regards to signing Duchene?

What are they waiting for?

OccidentalSoothsayer

Dec 7, 2017
New Westminster, B.C.
6 points in 8 games how horrifying.

Did he run over your dog?

If the sens aren't going to 'tie their wagon' to Duchene after giving up the farm and him proving to be a very talented player especially below the dots where you do win in the playoffs. Then who would you like them to tie their wagon to exactly?
He was 30th in scoring among centremen last year. Not going to cut it if you have him as a 1C

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He was 30th in scoring among centremen last year. Not going to cut it if you have him as a 1C
knock the first bunch of games he played when he got here off the record. He is better than most 1Cs in the league. Don't just look at season stats ok? cmon man

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
knock the first bunch of games he played when he got here off the record. He is better than most 1Cs in the league. Don't just look at season stats ok? cmon man

I don't think he's better than most first line centers, that being said, he's probably the ~3rd best center in franchise history, so if we can keep him we probably should.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Meh. Claude Giroux had 102pts last year after turning 30 yrs old in January, and is still considered one of the better centermen in the league.

The previous 2 years Giroux had 58pts and 67pts. In the last 6 years he's had 9pts in 19gp in the playoffs, a rate of less that 0.5 pts/gp.

Whatever Duchene's situation was in the last few years, Im very willing to let him continue to try and spread his wings here and get back to being the elite player that we all know he can be. We saw it towards the end of last season already.

We iced some pretty good teams with Turris as our #1, so I dont see Duchene being our #1 as that big of an issue going forward.

Its our #2C (or the lack thereof one) that will probably be the real reason for our lack of competitiveness...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Hat and Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh. Claude Giroux had 102pts last year after turning 30 in January. The previous 2 years he had 58pts and 67pts. In the last 6 seasons he's had 9pts in 19gp in the playoffs, a rate of less that 0.5 pts/gp.

Whatever Duchene's situation was in the last few years, Im very willing to let him continue to try and spread his wings here and get back to being the elite player that we all know he can be. We iced some pretty good teams with Turris as our #1, so I dont see Duchene being our #1 as that big of an issue going forward.

Its our #2C (or the lack thereof one) that will probably be the real reason for our lack of competitiveness...
I think JGP will be as good as most of the players that have played in that slot...I suspect our possession will go up as well as JGP is a very good forechecker,and board man...I bet healthy he gets mid to high 40,s this season

Reactions: bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Meh. Claude Giroux had 102pts last year after turning 30 yrs old in January, and is still considered one of the better centermen in the league.

The previous 2 years Giroux had 58pts and 67pts. In the last 6 years he's had 9pts in 19gp in the playoffs, a rate of less that 0.5 pts/gp.

Whatever Duchene's situation was in the last few years, Im very willing to let him continue to try and spread his wings here and get back to being the elite player that we all know he can be. We saw it towards the end of last season already.

We iced some pretty good teams with Turris as our #1, so I dont see Duchene being our #1 as that big of an issue going forward.

Second Line Center is a gaping hole in the lineup. Dorion strikes out again.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Second Line Center is a gaping hole in the lineup. Dorion strikes out again.

I agree but I have this feeling that we are due for a breakout rookie talent (hopefully Logan Brown) like all the other teams are lucky enough to get...however then I remember that we can't have nice things.

If we were a regular team we could have found a way to snag Duchene and pay Turris his 6x6. It would have been a nice punch.

Zinger-Duchene-Ryan
Boedker-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brown-Gaborik
PRV-Pageau-Pyatt

Deep AF

Reactions: Beville

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Why should we do that?

Frankly, I want Duchene to prove to us that he can be a consistent point producer when it matters, before we give him his UFA deal. If that means waiting until the trade deadline, or summer next year, then so be it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He already showed us for half the season last year the points he can generate, playing the exact same way he did in his first game for us onwards. The more comfortable he got, the more the puck was going exactly where he wanted it. He hustled and battled hard every second he was on the ice for us.

We are definitely not looking at a 'show me' contract for Duchene, were have seen what we're getting, and it's pretty awesome.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah, I can't see a way where there isn't a bonus cap. Either a yearly percentage, or percentage of the whole contract value.

Maybe there won't be a lockout... ;)

ya I'd like to hope for that

the problem is the never ending battle for competitiveness and regardless of how well something is designed we'll have lawyers figuring out how to abuse it

now we have the upfront bonus money contract payout structure. it probably only impacts the top 100 to 150 players however the players are not going to just willingly give that away.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think with Duchene signed long term we are good for the first few years with him as a #1 but for the latter half of his contract we'll need someone to surpass him on the chart. logan brown here we come

Giroux racked up those points last year playing on the wing btw

Reactions: JungleBeat

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why should we do that?

Frankly, I want Duchene to prove to us that he can be a consistent point producer when it matters, before we give him his UFA deal. If that means waiting until the trade deadline, or summer next year, then so be it.

When does it matter? Playoffs - yes. In a tight competition near the end of the regular season to get into the playoffs - yes. But his play equally matters at the start of the season too as wasted games then can be very difficult to make up for later. I think it matters for all regular season games because all games mean points gained or lost.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Duchene’s play in those first 20 games were just as good as his final 30. Guy was doing all the right things, was just a little snake bitten. What’s important is that he continued to play well and didn’t get down and the production finally followed the hard work. There should be zero concerns with his stint in Ottawa.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Duchene’s play in those first 20 games were just as good as his final 30. Guy was doing all the right things, was just a little snake bitten. What’s important is that he continued to play well and didn’t get down and the production finally followed the hard work. There should be zero concerns with his stint in Ottawa.

Exactly, he probably had nearly as many posts in the first 20 games as he did points. I remember it being ridiculous how many times he created offense without getting rewarded. I'm expecting 30g 35a for Duchene if Karlsson stays around for the full season and if Chabot can effectively handle a bigger role. Our garbage defensive transitions made things hard for all forwards to produce.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He also went through a massive slump when he was traded. Believe it or not movong your entire life to a new city can have that effect. He was over a ppg his last 30 games or so.

He is far better than the 30th center in the NHL. However like I said before who else on this team was a top 30 scoring center?... Who would you suggest they sign instead?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think JGP will be as good as most of the players that have played in that slot...I suspect our possession will go up as well as JGP is a very good forechecker,and board man...I bet healthy he gets mid to high 40,s this season
Pageau when given the icetime and linemates produced at the same pace as Zibanejad. People dont see him as a 2nd line center because he is so effective in a shut down role. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in a top 6 role over 82 games. Id be willing to bet he produces 45+ points.

OccidentalSoothsayer

Dec 7, 2017
New Westminster, B.C.
He also went through a massive slump when he was traded. Believe it or not movong your entire life to a new city can have that effect. He was over a ppg his last 30 games or so.

He is far better than the 30th center in the NHL. However like I said before who else on this team was a top 30 scoring center?... Who would you suggest they sign instead?[/QUOTE
I wont let you pick and choose which third of the season represents the real MD. He is not a good enough player to get a team to the playoffs even with notable help. I already know the booster club has a list of excuses for the guy a mile long, but 30th best centreman in the league with a bad attitude wont cut it. This team needs a Rebuild.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
@Caskader I think a lot of people would agree with the team needs a rebuild.. doesn't mean Duchene isn't a good player. I think the issues with the team don't even come close to including Duchene. Having Dorion orchestrate the rebuild .. I would have absolutely no faith in that... He would think we were done when we were half done and start selling off futures for players that can't be resigned with no time left on their contracts thinking they can win it all now..
Unfortunately this team needs one screaming F of a lot and Duchene the hockey player is on the good side of the ledger. The deal that brought him here ... not so much IMO ... just so people can recognize this as an opinion ... should be redundant I realize but some people will dedicate whole posts claiming I am trying to proclaim an obvious opinion as a fact.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Didn't Giroux play the wing last year with Couturier being his center?

Moving to the Wing Saved Claude Giroux's Career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->