Speculation: Matt Duchene

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Duchene is not going anywhere IMO.
After the Sens are "Euginized" he will be one of the key pieces remaining to get to the cap floor.
Compared to Colorado he is close to home, has an easy travel schedule in the East and could come out of this as a key leader in the rebuild. He deserves an "A".

Close to home
Easy travel schedule
Will get to be an assistant captain

Oh man if those are the best arguments for why he'll re-sign, dude might as well already be gone.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah but it was nothing new, it just got worse. I actually worked with his father (for Kraft) in the early 2000's and yeah, won't say anything more

Mike had a great career (793 pts, 1074 NHL games + playoffs) but could probably have had a better one (and more importantly a better one in the NHL circle) without his chronic problem. Why do you think Montreal dumped him for Niinimaa and a 5th?

He still was a very efficient player on the ice and had similar stats as Spezza the 2 years prior their respective trade. Didn't miss a full season though.

Mike Ribeiro : 134 pts in 156 Games (0.86 PPG)
Jason Spezza : 71 pts in 80 games (0.89 PPG)

Spezza had a chronic problem too and teams knew that, so they wouldn't give a huge asset price for a player that might decline soon and that would still cost a pretty penny (and end up very overpaid like it is the case actually)

I loved Spezza and would have liked him to stay but he was so horrendous defensively his last year in Ottawa, and you can't have that as your #1 Center. Turris did a very good job replacing him as he provided near the same offense but with way better 2-way play.

I know fans tend to always overvalue their own players but that word pretty confirms how wrong we were on Spezza's value. Out of the teams he would agree to be traded to, it doesn't seem like there was much of a bidding war... Nashville dodged a bullet when he refused to be traded there.
Ribero was a suitcase because of:
Attitude
Personal life
Defensive game

Well, yeah? Hence him being traded for garbage.

Hornqvist + 12th overall + Spaling vs Chiasson + Paul + Guptill +2nd. It's obvious circumstance lowered his value, as we have an actual offer that a team gave him that somewhat fit his actual value as a player not being affected by having a team over the barrel.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Attitude
Personal life
Defensive game

Hornqvist + 12th overall + Spaling vs Chiasson + Paul + Guptill +2nd. It's obvious circumstance lowered his value, as we have an actual offer that a team gave him that somewhat fit his actual value as a player not being affected by having a team over the barrel.

Actually NSH's pick that year was 11th overall, where they took Fiala. After look back, Larkin, Tuch, Fabbri and Pastrnak where all taken later in the 1st round... man, had Spez gone to Nashville our team could look so different right now.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Attitude
Personal life
Defensive game

1) Well, I never said that Ribeiro had more value (mainly because of his personal problems), so yes it was expected that Spezza would bring a better package

2) Like Ribeiro, Spezza had many factors against affecting his value (age, chronic back problems, expected quick decline, high contract demands that could make him overpaid very fast, traded as a 1 year rental, not much salary back (only Chiasson), etc)

3) We were not trading away prime Spezza. We were trading away a 31 y/o guy that missed an entire season and then had a very underwhelming season in 2013-14, he did put a good PPG but was horrible defensively, to the point where you could question if he could still be a 1st line Center. At that point, he was more a player of Ribeiro caliber. Very high end playmaking ability, but you have to shelter them so they don't hurt you too much defensively.

4) Yes we had to settle for the 2nd best offer (or maybe there was more good offers but those teams were off Spezza's table). So yeah, among the teams Spezza would go (and could accommodate him with a big contract to be the 2nd line center), Dallas was probably the best offer. Because of everything that I mentioned in this post (and prior), hard to expect a better return.

5) Teams that didn't go in a bidding war with Dallas were right. 7.5 for your 2nd line center is a lot of money, and thing is he won't be 2nd line worthy in the last 2 years of the contract (out of 4 years). Major bullet dodged for everybody except Dallas. Gosh, imagine how lambasted he would have been if he signed that extension in Ottawa.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Tying your wagon for 7 years to a 27 year old with 6 playoff points and no goals is a scary thought.

27 to 35 is far from an over the hill deal. It's not his fault his team was garbage for his whole career. His style of play is ideal for the playoffs, give him a chance. It's scary someone thinks we should let one of our few talented assets walk for a limited rental return. That's ridiculous, he deserves a long term deal and if we dont offer it he's gone. Derp.

OccidentalSoothsayer

Dec 7, 2017
New Westminster, B.C.
27 to 35 is far from an over the hill deal. It's not his fault his team was garbage for his whole career. His style of play is ideal for the playoffs, give him a chance. It's scary someone thinks we should let one of our few talented assets walk for a limited rental return. That's ridiculous, he deserves a long term deal and if we dont offer it he's gone. Derp.
It's never his fault that's all I hear from his boosters. I will say that I've never herd anyone say that trying to stick-handle through defenders is effective in the playoffs, It might work in garbage time in the NHL but the playoffs are something different I would say. As far as asset management goes all I can say is that if you like finishing in the bottom third of the standings then the good Doctor (MD) is what you need.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It's never his fault that's all I hear from his boosters. I will say that I've never herd anyone say that trying to stick-handle through defenders is effective in the playoffs, It might work in garbage time in the NHL but the playoffs are something different I would say. As far as asset management goes all I can say is that if you like finishing in the bottom third of the standings then the good Doctor (MD) is what you need.
This is a very harsh and, in my opinion, misinformed take. You don’t blame one player for the failure of his team and management. It’s a team sport. If you don’t see the talent level and dynamic ability of Duchene, you’re nuts

Reactions: Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna

Duchene is great at using his body to take away the puck and create turnovers. You make him sound like Jason Spezza which is why you are coming off as an asshat. He had 34 TK and 34 GA last season. Hardly a liability. He hit his groove half way through the season and was our best forward for long stretches. Not even McDavid can drag his team to the playoffs alone, it's 2018 and the parity of the league is insane.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Is this supposed to be about Duchene? Cause it seems like a pretty piss poor assessment honestly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tying your wagon for 7 years to a 27 year old with 6 playoff points and no goals is a scary thought.
6 points in 8 games how horrifying.

Did he run over your dog?

If the sens aren't going to 'tie their wagon' to Duchene after giving up the farm and him proving to be a very talented player especially below the dots where you do win in the playoffs. Then who would you like them to tie their wagon to exactly?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I believe that the big bonus structure Toronto gave Tavares is causing headaches for GMs with top 6 F/top 2 D who reaching UFA status soon. He's fully protected against a lockout and gets a big chunk of his money up front. He's also basically buyout proof. Instead of treating it like a one off you can bet that every player and agent wants in on this gravy train.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I believe that the big bonus structure Toronto gave Tavares is causing headaches for GMs with top 6 F/top 2 D who reaching UFA status soon. He's fully protected against a lockout and gets a big chunk of his money up front. He's also basically buyout proof. Instead of treating it like a one off you can bet that every player and agent wants in on this gravy train.

Agents are going to want to protect their players in the case of a lockout.. Nashville just signed Ellis to a good deal though... 7 million bonus 19/20 (y1) is all the bonus money. The Tavares contract structure is nuts... Great if you can get it but.. That's a ton of cash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad