Proposal: Matt Duchene to Toronto for 1st round pick in 2019 and ?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
You forgot

Anaheim
Boston
Buffalo
Calgary
Carolina
Colorado
Florida
LA
NYI
Philly
Sharks
STL
Washington
Winnipeg

He would be a 1c on many teams. He's played on Colorado and Ottawa with no depth forwards. Add him to the Leafs lineup with the depth they have and he's a 30goal scorer.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He would be a 1c on many teams. He's played on Colorado and Ottawa with no depth forwards. Add him to the Leafs lineup with the depth they have and he's a 30goal scorer.
on many non playoff teams perhaps.... Playoff teams likely have 1 or 2 C's that are > or = to Duchene

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The trade makes zero sense for TML...

It would be easier to name the teams MD wouldn't be a #1C

-EDM
-TML
-Pitt
-TBL
-Stars
-Hawks

After watching MD last year for almost a full season I believe that he is without a doubt a #1C.
There's also 20+ teams he is not a #1 centre on...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There's also 20+ teams he is not a #1 centre on...
He would make one hell of winger ,that is a good faceoff guy...He on Toronto would be a great add into their top 6 ,but I dont think we will see any trade movement on him until the TDL as Ottawa needs him just too badly ATM

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Don't you mean holy mackinaw? I base it on the player too young blood.
So let's hear the argument other than position on why Duchene for Nylander is underpayment on the Leafs behalf. You're only argument was 1C more valuable than 2W which is laughable because up until this year Nylander was on the first line but ok

Just because you keep repeating this lunacy does not make it true. The only reason he's 1C is because he plays for Ottawa. He would be 1c on a handful of teams, not many.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Two 50-pt blueliners sure sounds weak.

Guess 30 other teams had two 50-pt defenders?

Maybe it’s possible the Leafs play an aggressive style and aim to outscore opponents.

D is more than points. You didnt lose to Boston because you didnt score goals. Unless if you want to win every game 7-6.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
D is more than points. You didnt lose to Boston because you didnt score goals. Unless if you want to win every game 7-6.

Leafs have upgrades coming in Liljegren and Sandin. Ozhiganov is a younger better Polak, and Borgman is being groomed to become a top-end PK defender and probably shutdown pairing LD.

I find it sensational that the Leafs need to look outside the organization for improvement on the back end.

Hainsey is gone probably this year (pressbox) and Liljegren/Borgman will be jumping into the lineup.

Leafs lost to Boston in game 7 in the final period. You could argue that Kadri’s idiotic suspension cost them game 2. Maybe the Leafs could’ve won in six if they had Duchene instead of Kadri.

Not that I want Duchene for Kadri but the backend was not the glaring issue people want to believe.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Leafs have upgrades coming in Liljegren and Sandin. Ozhiganov is a younger better Polak, and Borgman is being groomed to become a top-end PK defender and probably shutdown pairing LD.

I find it sensational that the Leafs need to look outside the organization for improvement on the back end.

Hainsey is gone probably this year (pressbox) and Liljegren/Borgman will be jumping into the lineup.

Leafs lost to Boston in game 7 in the final period. You could argue that Kadri’s idiotic suspension cost them game 2. Maybe the Leafs could’ve won in six if they had Duchene instead of Kadri.

Not that I want Duchene for Kadri but the backend was not the glaring issue people want to believe.

Its not a glaring issue like you guys wont get out of the first round. But when you look at the organizational strengths , D is clearly the part thats most lacking. Why would you want to acquire a dude who is the opposite of a proven winner. Colorado literally made the playoffs by subtracting him and adding Girard, then Ottawa was in a playoff spot, acquired Duchene and everything went downhill.

Those players like Liljegren are still unproven and who knows how they would do in the playoffs.

Point is, the leafs dont need Matt Duchene. Especially when you have to give up assets that you could be spending on D.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Its not a glaring issue like you guys wont get out of the first round. But when you look at the organizational strengths , D is clearly the part thats most lacking. Why would you want to acquire a dude who is the opposite of a proven winner. Colorado literally made the playoffs by subtracting him and adding Girard, then Ottawa was in a playoff spot, acquired Duchene and everything went downhill.

Those players like Liljegren are still unproven and who knows how they would do in the playoffs.

Point is, the leafs dont need Matt Duchene. Especially when you have to give up assets that you could be spending on D.

That we can agree on but I would stop at giving up any assets at all. It’s not a problem that needs to be solved externally.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
This deal makes no sense for the Leafs unless they were going to flip him or another top end roster player for a Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad