Proposal: Matt Duchene to Toronto for 1st round pick in 2019 and ?

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Sounds good, after all gotta get some depth at C when you're paying Tavares 11mil to play D

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Leafs already have great center depth.

Duchene isn't even that good (one time 30 goal scorer bfd)

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Ok, so the Leafs trade for a center, the position where they are deepest and just ignore their weakness on D? Does anyone else think this is probably the last kind of move that the Leafs are looking at?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
TOR would be one of the last teams I would think to spend high priced futures on a rental Fwd. Although I think Duchene could fit well as a LW on the Leafs, and having C flexibility in the playoffs isn't a bad thing, their trade currency should be spent on a more important need which is the D core. Also, Dorion doesn't trade within the division.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Toronto traded for Duchene without giving up a top 6 forward I'd be incredibly confused.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Duchene is a 1c on almost any team in the league. If I was Sens brass and Duchene agreed to an extension to another team like Toronto. I'd be asking Nylander, Dermott and a late first 1st rounder likely.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Duchene is a 1c on almost any team in the league. If I was Sens brass and Duchene agreed to an extension to another team like Toronto. I'd be asking Nylander, Dermott and a late first 1st rounder likely.
:laugh:

Wtf is this...

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It's the truth. Young blood.
No, it's actually quite far from that.

Duchene isn't #1 centre on almost every team in the league.

That package the Leafs are sending is a huge overpayment. Heck, they probably wouldn't trade Nylander straight up for Duchene

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
No, it's actually quite far from that.

Duchene isn't #1 centre on almost every team in the league.

That package the Leafs are sending is a huge overpayment. Heck, they probably wouldn't trade Nylander straight up for Duchene
Take off the rose colored glasses. A 1c is much more valuable than a winger. If leafs offered Nylander alone that would be an underpayment.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
This trade would require a total philosophical change from both organisations.

Toronto would need to change everything about their future cap structure, and commit to an "offense above all" style that conflicts with how Babcock tends to do things. And Ottawa would have to ditch their "no East teams" trade rule, while simultaneously deciding to openly tank the season.

In other words, this trade won't happen in our universe. Maybe an alternate bizzaro-universe where everything is somehow the same but different.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Take off the rose colored glasses. A 1c is much more valuable than a winger. If leafs offered Nylander alone that would be an underpayment.
It's definitely closer to fair value than that crap you proposed.

Also, since you think Duchene is a #1 centre on almost every team in the league you might as well name the teams.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

Most teams already have a 1st line centre of which , imo, are better than Duchene. Some teams have two centres of which, imo, are also better than Duchene. In the rarest of cases, Some teams have three centres of which, imo, are better than Duchene.

The Leafs being the latter, decline your ask and allows your team to die quietly .

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Duchene is a number one center on a poor team and a number two on most contenders. I'd say his value is similar to Kadri's. Would you pay us a 1st, Tkachuk and Chabot for Kadri? I don't think so. Nylanders value is debatably higher than Duchene's given age and recent production. The only thing Duchene has tilting the scale in his direction is position and a great season half a decade ago. Thats not even touching on the fact that Nylander has played center at other levels and has even seen some reasonable success there in stints at the NHL level.

Back on topic, Toronto should not be targeting another additional center to play on the wing. Wingers are decidedly cheaper and a younger, more effective winger could be had for far less than Duchene.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Most teams already have a 1st line centre of which , imo, are better than Duchene.
Toronto declines your ask and allows your team to die quietly without support.
No point arguing with Leafers. I'm not being biased as a Sens fan I'm just telling you what the asking price is for a 1c. If you can't see he's a 1c in general, I don't know what to tell you.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
No point arguing with Leafers. I'm not being biased as a Sens fan I'm just telling you what the asking price is for a 1c. If you can't see he's a 1c in general, I don't know what to tell you.

That's your problem - Toronto already has three Centres arguably better than Duchene. Additionally, the "I don't know what to tell you" is common amungst Sens fans whilst trying to dig themselves out of ... their own team.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
That's your problem - Toronto already has three Centres arguably better than Duchene. Additionally, the "I don't know what to tell you" is common amungst Sens fans whilst trying to dig themselves out of ... their own team.
This has nothing to do with digging ourselves out of anything. Leafs were a piss poor team on the ice forever before they finally got a first overall pick and picked Matthews. How soon leaf fans forget that eh? Sens going through their own trials and tribulations right now but we will rebound. Also I said most teams, I never said Duchene was Matthews or Tavares.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I'd take Duchene over Nylander in a heartbeat. What are you smoking? Weed ain't legal until October 17th.
I'll have whatever you're having that makes you think that Nylander for Duchene is an underpayment by the Leafs.

I would love to hear the thought process on this...

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'll have whatever you're having that makes you think that Nylander for Duchene is an underpayment by the Leafs.

I would love to hear the thought process on this...
1c vs 2lw.. Simple as that. More valuable by position.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
It's definitely closer to fair value than that crap you proposed.

Also, since you think Duchene is a #1 centre on almost every team in the league you might as well name the teams.

The trade makes zero sense for TML...

It would be easier to name the teams MD wouldn't be a #1C

-EDM
-TML
-Pitt
-TBL
-Stars
-Hawks

After watching MD last year for almost a full season I believe that he is without a doubt a #1C.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
The trade makes zero sense for TML...

It would be easier to name the teams MD wouldn't be a #1C

-EDM
-TML
-Pitt
-TBL
-Stars
-Hawks

After watching MD last year for almost a full season I believe that he is without a doubt a #1C.
You forgot

Anaheim
Boston
Buffalo
Calgary
Carolina
Colorado
Florida
LA
NYI
Philly
Sharks