Proposal: Matt Duchene to Toronto for 1st round pick in 2019 and ?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Look on the bright side. If the Leafs trade a first round pick for a player who would become their fourth line centre, it should stop the whining from Leafs fans that they traded second round picks for fourth line centres at the last two trade deadlines.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The leafs have a lot of cap space even when Nylander signs for 6.75 x 6 years. What would it take for the Leafs to pick up Duchene as a rental for the season?

How about a 1st round pick in 2019, and a young roster player?

This would give the Leafs excellent C dept - Matthews, Tavares, Kadri and Duchene
For a rental you likely aren't getting much more than that low 1st for Duchene; not every GM is as awful at making trades as Dorion. Furthermore, centre is the last place the Leafs need help; having either Kadri or Duchene as a 4C playing 10 minutes per night is an absurd waste of talent, and frankly doesn't add much the Leafs just don't have enough centre ice-time to go around. If the Leafs trade their 1st pick for a rental it will be a defenseman, likely at the deadline when they will know exactly what they are going to need for their playoff push.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
The leafs have a lot of cap space even when Nylander signs for 6.75 x 6 years. What would it take for the Leafs to pick up Duchene as a rental for the season?

How about a 1st round pick in 2019, and a young roster player?

This would give the Leafs excellent C dept - Matthews, Tavares, Kadri and Duchene

You are forgetting Mr. Never trade to East and fk my team over is the GM.

Jokes aside I honestly don’t think the leafs have any need for him. It would be a waste to get him over a solid D imo. The leafs can win a cup with the Forwards they have rn. Not with their D

Reactions: NoName

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Leafs don't need more offense they need defense or they are a first round exit waiting to happen. . Again.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Leafs don't need more offense they need defense or they are a first round exit waiting to happen. . Again.
Not sure about that. Against a 3rd in the division or even wild-card team I think this Leafs team almost assuredly makes it out of the first round based on sheer talent and home-ice. Beyond that, it would be challenging (thinking about probably playing Tampa in the 2nd round) without either some internal development on defense this season or a trade to bring in a top-4 guy.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
2j2zre.jpg

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs already have a supercharged offense, and will have no trouble scoring. Toronto's focus from this point forward needs to be preventing other teams from scoring. Acquiring Duchene would do nothing to address that.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The Leafs already have a supercharged offense, and will have no trouble scoring. Toronto's focus from this point forward needs to be preventing other teams from scoring. Acquiring Duchene would do nothing to address that.

If we have the puck more, the opponent can't score as much. Duchene helps with that. Elite transition player, we don't have many of those.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Well we'd like to actually win something, so I hope the team goes after the RHD or big, tough Winger this trade deadline, and ignores you.

The only way to play better defensive hockey is to acquire an RHD or a big tough winger?

Thank god Kyle thinks outside the box. There are other ways to improve the defense without getting an RHD. I'd rather get Panarin/Stone/Duchene as rentals than pick up any of the RHD that were listed.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Or you just score more. Pittsburgh model.

I'm not going out and advocating that Toronto acquire Duchene, but it's kinda silly to say you need a top-notch defense to win. I mean, you win by scoring more than the other team. If that means winning 6-5, rather than 3-2, so be it.

Ostensibly, if Toronto were to acquire Duchene you'd probably be putting him on the wing to maximize his minutes, not at 4C. He can play center in spot duty when needed, or after PPs/PKs etc. I wouldn't say it's inconceivable that Toronto is looking to upgrade their offense, as reports say they were in on Panarin earlier in the summer.

The marginal benefit of Toronto upgrading their offense vs. defense is probably slanted toward the backend, but if you have a chance to add an impact player who you think can help your team, and at the right price, why wouldn't you?

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
Imagine Duchene playing on either Tavares/Matthews wing. Something straight out of NHL 19.

But if I’m being serious, it should be common sense that the Leafs spend those specific assets on a RHD.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well we'd like to actually win something, so I hope the team goes after the RHD or big, tough Winger this trade deadline, and ignores you.

There's definitely the case for Toronto to go after a Tanev/Demers type over Duchene. They'd be more beneficial.

But the forwards listed there are vastly inferior to Duchene.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
But the forwards listed there are vastly inferior to Duchene.

It depends on what your needs are. We simply don't need a soft, offensive Centre.

Those other guys have what we're lacking, so it makes them more valuable to us at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad