Value of: Matt Duchene to the habs

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Was a silly post anyway as the Avs don't need goaltending haha. Forget value, it doesn't even fill a need or a want.

I agree. I'm just commenting on the ridiculousness of that post. It's one that is bound to incite negative responses, and clearly leads nowhere good.

"No deal to be had" is far more accurate than Price anyway, because the Avs wouldn't be interested in Price without another deal or a third team in the trade.

However there are probably a few Avs fans who would probably take Radulov straight up for Duchene. Some were so hard up for him it was bordering insanity.

Or, if you are like so many Canadian fans (not just of the Canadiens) and don't actually know who Duchene is, we could call up Duchesne and get you an autograph or something. He was a Nordique once.

Agreed. Price is now the face of the Habs. He will go absolutely nowhere, I can only assume. Honestly I thought Radulov was going to be an Av all year. I was clamouring for the Habs to sign him when I was still a Habs fan. That whole "Duchesne" crew is both amusing, and annoying. I mean, it's not a reason to discount a person's opinion entirely (mistakes happen), but it makes me question someone's opinion in that case.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
You're preaching to the choir. That's my point. Avalanche fans knew what ROR was, other fans constantly underrated him.

And fyi it wasn't a troll attempt, it was a jab at the HF hivemind that continually underrates Avs players.

You sound like Leafs, Habs, Lightning, Sabres and Flames fans. You take HFs opinion to seriously, who cares what others people here think. It's what scouts and GMs think that matters.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
You sound like Leafs, Habs, Lightning, Sabres and Flames fans. You take HFs opinion to seriously, who cares what others people here think. It's what scouts and GMs think that matters.

I find their underrating more comical at this point. I think you completely misread my post and how tongue in cheek it is.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Alright, I stand corrected. If you're telling me Zadorov is a slighty less developped Parayko, then the Avs have quite a good young d-man (I'm VERY high on Parayko right now) and Juulsen doesn't touch him at all.

I know Zadorov put up points in junior and even last year in the AHL...I just always pictured Zadorov as someone who would probably develop more as a classic hard-hitting, big body, shutdown-d than an all-around, top-pairing d-man at the NHL level.
I'd say the biggest thing holding zadorov back is his experience, and initially his hockey IQ. However once he played with beauchman he had a guy with a good IQ he looked pretty good. So hopefully he was able to learn alot with him.

Zadorov made a funny quote but it says everything about him. I like to score goals and hit people. He is a huge hitter. He probably would be better off using judgement when to crush people though

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
People are losing their minds over Subban/Weber because of a 27-30 (soon-to-be-31) age gap. What makes you think trading a 25-year old for 33-year old, with one less year of contract, will be well received ? :)

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
People are losing their minds over Subban/Weber because of a 27-30 (soon-to-be-31) age gap. What makes you think trading a 25-year old for 33-year old, with one less year of contract, will be well received ? :)

The big problem is the older player is more expensive and also a lesser player. The 8 year gap in age is just the icing on the cake.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The comparison with ROR is closer than Johansen in my opinion. It's not so much a question of production, both players CAN and most probably WILL produce. But the fact that Johansen is taller and bigger surely is an advantage for GM on paper, and the fact that Johansen can be secured for, at the time of the trade, 9 years and a half over 3 year only for Duchene is a HUGE factor in my evaluation.

Now comparing him to ROR makes a lot more sense to me. And just to be clear, I'm not arguing that the initial proposal was nearly enough for Duchene. But if you take a look at what the Avs got in the O'Reilly deal...

• M.Grigorenko: A former 1st round pick, coming with kind of a question mark, considering he had failed to meet the expectations Buffalo had for him at the time of the trade. My guess is Grigorenko had more value for your head coach than he had for ANY other team at this point in his career.

• N.Zadorov: Considered a blue chip prospect by many, but again, somewhat of a question mark, considering he still hasn't establish himself as a regular in the NHL.

• J.T. Compher: An interesting project playing in the Big-10 who, at the time, had recorded 23 goals and 55 points in 69 games over two seasons.

• A very early 2nd rounder.

Now the closest comparables for that in the Habs organization, in my opinion, would probably be...

• N.Scherbak: A 1st rounder in 2014 who, so far, failed to make the impact expected by the organization due to injury.

• N.Juulsen: A 1st rounder in 2015 with size, who kind had a setback last year offensively, but apparently improved defensively.

• Jake Evans: Probably the closest to Compher the Habs have right now, but to be honest, I don't even think it's a good comparable.

• 2nd round pick: Could be anywhere at this point.

Now I would give this package less value at this point than what the Avs got in the ROR deal...but I also don't see a player like McGinn (and no Mitchell ain't McGinn) in the OP deal. McGinn was coming off an injury, but flirted with the 20-goal mark the year before. Getting a 26-years old 'luxury' third liner who can score 20 goals adds value to the deal, even on a 1-year contract.

Now I'm not saying the package above would be interesting enough for the Avs to actually trade Duchene, I'm not familiar enough with the organization to really judge that. But I'll say this...that package would probably be more than what the Habs would be willing to pay for 3-years of Duchene, considering we already have way too many centers, and a hole on the left wing in our top-6.

The only way the Habs consider bringing Duchene in is if Plekanec is included in the deal...and I don't see why the Avs would be doing that. So my final verdict: Avs and Habs aren't good trading partner here, at least, not for Duchene.

Every single one of those comparables is worse than the piece compared in the ROR trade (the 2nd could end up equal at best but only if Montreal finishes 30th since the 2nd was the 1st pick of the 2nd round). Plus Duchene has more trade value than ROR had.

Grigorenko is more comparable to McCarron than Sherbak. First round picks, play centre, Mac is 21, Grigs was 21 and the time of the trade. McCarron had 38 points in 58 AHL games played the season before. Grigorenko had 36 points in 43 AHL games the season before. McCarron had 2 points in 20 NHL games the season before. Grigorenko had 6 points in 25.

Zadorov is more comparable to Sergachev than Juulsen. As you said, Juulsen had a down year in the WHL. Zadorov had just completed his first complete NHL season as a 19 year old and had a great year for a rookie defenseman.

I don't know of a comparable for Compher. Jake Evans is who you used so I guess that's decent. I would say Sherbak is closer.

31st overall. I don't think the Habs are that bad.

I don't see a trade to be made between the Canadiens and Colorado for Duchene unless they found a way to get Subban back somehow. Carey Price is the only player on the team who meets or exceeds Duchene "value wise" but Colorado would be dumb to do that since goaltending isn't an issue.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Zadorov would've been a NHL regular had he stayed in buffalo. Colorado didn't need him to be last year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I love this guy with the way he plays, we are in need of a top 6 forward and I would love to add him to the habs.

I wouldn't do this trade until after training camp. With the way Mikhail Sergachyov has looked in development camp, he has the skills to be in the NHL, but if he isn't ready, I wouldn't do this deal until he is ready, so here is my offer:

To Montreal

Matt Duchene

To Colorado

Tomas Plekenec
Nathan Beaulieu

thoughts?

Thoughts ? Do you really need to ask ? Terrible is putting it mildly . I would not trade RNH for that and he is not as good as Duchene .

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Grigorenko is more comparable to McCarron than Sherbak. First round picks, play centre, Mac is 21, Grigs was 21 and the time of the trade. McCarron had 38 points in 58 AHL games played the season before. Grigorenko had 36 points in 43 AHL games the season before. McCarron had 2 points in 20 NHL games the season before. Grigorenko had 6 points in 25.

I don't think McCarron has top-6 potential tough. Scherbak does. That's why I went with him.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Zadorov would've been a NHL regular had he stayed in buffalo. Colorado didn't need him to be last year.

No, Colorado definitely needed him to be last year. They just preferred to try to right the ship on his development instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->