Value of: Matt Duchene to Colorado as a UFA

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Reaching.

Why would someone care if he says something nice about the team he used to play for?

Karlsson said that Ottawa "will always be his home". Does that mean he just gave the finger to San Jose?

No, it's just nice things hockey players say.

Yeah, Tavares was being nice to the Leafs too before he gave them the middle finger.

Karlsson said all that when he had a year left in his contract, not during his final contract year. Big difference imo.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Reaching.

Why would someone care if he says something nice about the team he used to play for?

Karlsson said that Ottawa "will always be his home". Does that mean he just gave the finger to San Jose?

No, it's just nice things hockey players say.
He gave reference to the team, not the place.

He didn’t say Denver would always be home. He said he’ll always be an Av even though he’s employed by another NHL team.

That’s like working for Esso in Alberta but then taking a job for Irving in New Brunswick and while working for Irving you tell everyone how you’ll always be an Esso guy at heart. If you said Alberta will always be your home that would be fine. But not the company.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
There are very few certainties in the world, but I’m willing to bet Duchene never playing for Joe Sakic again is one of them!

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I don't think ROR is farfetched as Duchene, it's far more farfetched. Duchene will be a free agent and has interest in Colorado.

I hope you are right, then. maybe the Avs could sign him on a home-discount friendly deal and Duchene, after a good season in Ottawa, signed on a cheap contract, would have a great value as a trading asset later. we should be able to find many suitors for someone of his caliber... for example, what do you think Ottawa could offer for him?

Reactions: cgf

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He gave reference to the team, not the place.

He didn’t say Denver would always be home. He said he’ll always be an Av even though he’s employed by another NHL team.

That’s like working for Esso in Alberta but then taking a job for Irving in New Brunswick and while working for Irving you tell everyone how you’ll always be an Esso guy at heart. If you said Alberta will always be your home that would be fine. But not the company.

Yeah, this is just hair splitting.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't see how this is remotely possible. Even if Duchene and Sakic were open to the idea, I doubt Sakic would do it simply because of the potential locker room issues. Erik Johnson, Landeskog, and MacKinnon all seemed to express relief and a good riddance type of attitude once he was traded.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
If he signs with the Avalanche, it'll be after his next contract. I wouldn't bet against that but next year is too soon for both parties.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I could totally see it. Based on what he said about Tavares, I fully expect him to go to free agency. He wants to win, and Colorado looks like a team that is set up to win in the near future and has a need for a player like him. As much as he might want to go to Nashville, they probably can't afford him, and he's much more likely to be put on the wing there, and we know he wants to be a center.

What I expect to happen this season is, unless Ottawa is in playoff contention at the deadline, they trade him to a playoff team, then goes to free agency. He then either signs with the team he was traded to, comes back to Colorado, or gets well overpaid by some team to come be their #1 center.

I haven't met a single Avs fan that wants him back. I can't see it happening

Hi there. My name is Mark. Nice to meet you.

There are very few certainties in the world, but I’m willing to bet Duchene never playing for Joe Sakic again is one of them!

Why? If you listened to Duchene after the trade, he had nothing but good things to say about Sakic.

I don't see how this is remotely possible. Even if Duchene and Sakic were open to the idea, I doubt Sakic would do it simply because of the potential locker room issues. Erik Johnson, Landeskog, and MacKinnon all seemed to express relief and a good riddance type of attitude once he was traded.

They didn't like having someone on the team who didn't want to be on the team. If he came back and enthusiastically wanted to be there it would be a different story. Also, coming back he would have a clear role as a 2nd line guy rather than the poorly defined role he had when he was with the Avs before. I think that would help him fit in again.

Jan 21, 2018
I don't think ROR is farfetched as Duchene, it's far more farfetched. Duchene will be a free agent and has interest in Colorado.

ELODt.jpg

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
i don't think colorado would entertain the idea due to locker room chemistry. it was pretty evident that the room wasn't happy with the duchene situation going on. I wouldn't risk it, and thats coming form a guy who was on duchenes side all the way through.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Would be difficult. Dorion tends to learn from his mistakes and put in bogus 1st round picks clauses. Expect an extra first round pick in the deal that only gets transferred if in a years time it's clear the Avs bent over the Sens again :sarcasm:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
i don't think colorado would entertain the idea due to locker room chemistry. it was pretty evident that the room wasn't happy with the duchene situation going on. I wouldn't risk it, and thats coming form a guy who was on duchenes side all the way through.

I feel like locker room chemistry is overrated. Players will get past issues for the most part, they're professionals. Florida had no issues bringing Hoffman in, and they're all getting along fine.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I feel like locker room chemistry is overrated. Players will get past issues for the most part, they're professionals. Florida had no issues bringing Hoffman in, and they're all getting along fine.

But hoffman wasn't part the the florida room before. Mackinnon EXPLODED after duchene left, I think there was a reason for that. Duchene did some great things in denver and im thankful for that and welcome him back after his next contract, but not this one. Colorado players have talked about how lose and great their room is, I dont take the chance with duchene at this time.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'd rather Duchene never play another game in a Avs jersey. It was fun while it lasted but it's over, move on. This new Avs team hasn't looked in the rear view mirror once since he finally got out.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
There is 0% chance he comes back to colarado. The guy wanted out for a while and it created a whole circus

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He isn't coming back. It will ruin the lockeroom. What happens when they hit a long losing streak? The franchise is better without him . Watch if he comes back they will miss the playoffs

Reactions: Frenchy

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Duchene will be too expensive to bring In as a free agent and wouldn’t really make any sense. I hate Colorado so I hope they spend the $8 million that it will cost to bring duchene back. However, with the team looking better and better each day and big contracts coming for players soon, Although I believe mackinnon and landeskog are signed for a while, it might be in their best interest to let Jost and kerfoot to develop while adding to the wing and defense.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I'm pretty sure Sakic has a good read with the locker room, and he would 100% talk to Landy and co. about their feelings about Duchene coming back. If they're willing to welcome him back with open arms, than I think it makes sense to kick the tires on Matty if he hits free agency. But if even one of Mack/Landy/EJ/Rants/etc. says no, that's the end of the discussion.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Duchene will be too expensive to bring In as a free agent and wouldn’t really make any sense. I hate Colorado so I hope they spend the $8 million that it will cost to bring duchene back. However, with the team looking better and better each day and big contracts coming for players soon, Although I believe mackinnon and landeskog are signed for a while, it might be in their best interest to let Jost and kerfoot to develop while adding to the wing and defense.

Nah. The avs can actually afford an 8M+ UFA pretty comfortably, and someone to anchor the second line is their biggest need...though that need not necessarily be a center, we are deeper on the wings.

Also, why would Colorado spend more money on it’s blueline? The organization is loaded there.

Reactions: MarkT

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Nah. The avs can actually afford an 8M+ UFA pretty comfortably, and someone to anchor the second line is their biggest need...though that need not necessarily be a center, we are deeper on the wings.

Also, why would Colorado spend more money on it’s blueline? The organization is loaded there.

Didn’t realize you had a legit #1D. That slipped my mind.

I’m just saying I think if you were going to spend the money it might be better to go after a Karlsson type player that can help your D-core become elite like the real cup contenders teams in the West.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Didn’t realize you had a legit #1D. That slipped my mind.

I’m just saying I think if you were going to spend the money it might be better to go after a Karlsson type player that can help your D-core become elite like the real cup contenders teams in the West.

Nah, getting some scoring depth would help far more than trying to upgrade on Girard.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->