Matt Duchene - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
He proved me wrong today, he had an incredible game and really carried his line. He was the X factor the Pens couldn't contain as Cam had a good game and the Foligno line were doing their thing. As for Dzingel, I think you can see he has skill he just needs time. That play he made to set up Bjorkstrand is not a play you make if you are not confident in your abilities. Expect him to come on soon hopefully.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens fan 2 cents

Duchene is worth keeping, he may be starting slow but he will produce and he drives a line by himself. Dzingel is overrated. He's fast, decent hands but other than that he fades away when play is more physical and had those padded stats from playing with Duchene.

Not a bad player, just not that good where you want to give him term and money.

logan etherton

Mar 9, 2019
If Bobrovsky and Panarin don't sign, then Duchene has a ton of leverage with Columbus. Management would be hard pressed to not sign him. I'm not sold on him as a #1C although it's clear he's a good player.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens fan 2 cents

Duchene is worth keeping, he may be starting slow but he will produce and he drives a line by himself. Dzingel is overrated. He's fast, decent hands but other than that he fades away when play is more physical and had those padded stats from playing with Duchene.

Not a bad player, just not that good where you want to give him term and money.
I don't think he's worth keeping at all. He is going to get his points but he is not going to propel the team forward. Everywhere he goes the team starts to tank.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I don't think he's worth keeping at all. He is going to get his points but he is not going to propel the team forward. Everywhere he goes the team starts to tank.

Duchene is absolutely not the reason why the Jackets can't seem to consistently score. He's been one of the best forwards the past 4-5 games and has had very, very strong games in the last 3.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If Bobrovsky and Panarin don't sign, then Duchene has a ton of leverage with Columbus. Management would be hard pressed to not sign him. I'm not sold on him as a #1C although it's clear he's a good player.
He doesn’t need to be a #1 C , with Pld, and Duchene , you have plenty of talent down the middle to have 2 great scoring lines . Plus , let’s not make judgements In Tortasaurus offense . Better days are coming

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Duchene is absolutely not the reason why the Jackets can't seem to consistently score. He's been one of the best forwards the past 4-5 games and has had very, very strong games in the last 3.
That's what Sens fans said about him and Avs fans. It's not his play with the puck it's his play away from it. Like I said he will get his points but he has a curse attached to him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's what Sens fans said about him and Avs fans. It's not his play with the puck it's his play away from it. Like I said he will get his points but he has a curse attached to him.

He's clearly got some bad habits away from the puck. He tends to lose focus on his coverage and drift out of position.

But let's not exaggerate it either, he's not a liability and not a terrible defensive player, and it is absolutely not the reason why the Avs and Sens had their fates. Duchene helps our D by using his wheels to get the puck to the other end of the ice and keep on the attack. Duchene somehow managed to keep to a -3 playing in front of a horrific Sens D, with Dzingel and a rookie on his wings, who have bigger defensive issues than Duchene does. You can't account for a tire fire by blaming an offensive centerman with a slightly below average defensive game. You're spreading myths here, go away.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Just like Panarin, offer what your comfortable with and see what happens.
I'd also inform these guys with my plans for free agency and where they'd like to take the team.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Changed my mind about Duchene, Third team but he has to bring it otherwise he will be know as a decent player during the season but now each game is pretty much a playoff game. The third time is suppose to be the charm I don't know if he has it in him.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Changed my mind about Duchene, Third team but he has to bring it otherwise he will be know as a decent player during the season but now each game is pretty much a playoff game. The third time is suppose to be the charm I don't know if he has it in him.

Honestly, the real point is depth. His addition should allow he or PLD to receive less attention. This also pushes Jenner down and we've seen that he's quite capable of secondary scoring.

I'm not expecting a McDavid or Crosby, obviously. We'll get adequate 1st line production, pretty decent defense, and he'll win faceoffs. He'll also get a lot of attention from other teams, hopefully allowing PLD to receive lesser matchups.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He didn't exactly lift up the Senators, so I doubt he could do it in CBJ.

Unless he really carries the team in the playoffs, I would think twice before making a long contract with Matt.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
what is it about matt duchene that draws people from other teams to talk about matt duchene?

Probably because their team didn't win with him and so he's a locker room cancer and a bum. Others probably rank him as an elite player due to the larger than probably deserved contract he signed at the time. Other than that he's a pretty fast player with some skill, more than adequate defensively and he can score some too. I don't see anything negative that would cause concern other than offering him a bloated contract that he couldn't live up to. He's not a superstar player but he is something this team needs now and into the future. I think the compensation they paid to get him/will have to pay if he is signed is worth the risk. I just hope they don't give him a NMC if they decide to sign him. He is a player that would be wanted and he can be moved in the future if it doesn't work out.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Have to find a way to sign him. No he hasn’t set the world on fire but he was thrown into a playoff race after playing out the string all season. Centers are always vital and who knows what PLD will do next year without Panarin. I think he’s a critical re-sign.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
While I still think he will move on, and it would be for the best interest for the club to let him move on, I still think he's a hell of a player that gets an unfair rep because of one coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad