Matt Duchene - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I gotta say, I think we're being too quick to judge the newcomers. This infusion of new players has created a CHEMISTRY problem, not a talent problem. When players don't know for sure where their teammates are going to be on the ice, they get tentative.

There is a chemistry issue. But it's not exclusive to the new guys, it's just spurred by them. When they come in and are offering something new, everyone starts looking around and overthinking the plays that used to be automatic. Even the 5 man units that have been here all year look worse. And that creates the bigger problem which is confidence. These guys played scared last night.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think in general you see a lot more inconsistency with younger players because they're still figuring out what works and doesn't work for their bodies and brains. Sometimes it works and they don't know why, things change, maybe he got dinged up and didn't know how to react to it.
I'll add that Nuti has been a been "streaky" in his defensive play. He'll get into a good groove and kill it. Then he'll slump and struggle for a bit. We usually think about offensive play this way, but that's how I see Nuti.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Stay, that is all. Cheers.
Just a little bit loooonnnnngggggger
100% want to keep him.

His speed is elite. Puck handles are A+. The points will come when he settles in - thats not a worry for me.

I see him being the guy who carries the puck in once #9 leaves for greener grass next season.
i just haven’t seen it yet. Not passing final judgment yet, just anxious to see all the skill I’ve read about. I didn’t follow him much prior to trade, so only eye test for me is past 6-7 games. Not that much to see - yet!?

Reactions: EspenK

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
Just a little bit loooonnnnngggggger

i just haven’t seen it yet. Not passing final judgment yet, just anxious to see all the skill I’ve read about. I didn’t follow him much prior to trade, so only eye test for me is past 6-7 games. Not that much to see - yet!?
If you were seeing Panarin for the first time in the past 6-7 Jackets games, he has not been impressive either.;)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If you were seeing Panarin for the first time in the past 6-7 Jackets games, he has not been impressive either.;)
Agree. He hasn't been the player we've grown accustomed to lately. Basically Panarin flashes 1 or 2 good shifts worth about a minute out of the 19-20 minutes TOI. Now that 1 shift is productive, but it's so much less than what he should be delivering.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
What evidence is there of this? I've heard it before but never heard where it came from. He seemed to force his way out of Colorado.

probably a bit hyperbolic but his attitude over the last 18 or so months here in Colorado was quite poor. Both demonstrated by somewhat snarky responses from the rest of the team/coaches after his trade, and further shown by how our season was turned around and accelerated upwards last year. i certainly think he's kind of an entitled brat, but I don't know if he's full on cancer.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
He’s a cancer to every team he’s played on...let him walk

For sure he is...

You got a guy telling rookies and young players that he hasn't listen in powerplay meetings for weeks.

Guys like Jeff Skinner and Matty D all show. When you need them to be your best players come March, they never show up...

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Just thought I'd jump in...regarding Duchene and Colorado...narratives changed quickly after Sakic got a good return. Before then the consensus was that the whole mess was on Sakic, and I certainly stand by that. Everyone did a 180 on that after he fleeced Dorion...nobody wanted to admit that they'd previously been blaming the GM who just got a great return, so the focus shifted to Duchene. Sakic let Duchene's name float in credible trade rumours for two full seasons and only fuelled them every time he was questioned about it, unlike most GMs who at least verbally express confidence in their players and try to shut down trade rumours. It was a cancerous mess -- created by Sakic, not Duchene. Duchene, on the exterior, handled the entire situation with class.

Not fully relevant right now, I know, but the 'Duchene was a cancer' thing, at least regarding his Colorado time, was a narrative created well after the fact because nobody wanted to blame Sakic anymore, but a new scapegoat was needed.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
For sure he is...

You got a guy telling rookies and young players that he hasn't listen in powerplay meetings for weeks.

Guys like Jeff Skinner and Matty D all show. When you need them to be your best players come March, they never show up...

I loved Duchene while he was a Sen, and dont fault him at all for last years total collapse (although it would have helped if he didnt start with like 6pts in his first 20gp), or for leaving. And ultimately I wish that we had kept him (though not nearly as much as Stone), the bolded part in your quote really took him down a peg in my eyes.

While I agree that the coach he was talking about (Marty Raymond - assistant coach) was/is a total buffoon, the way he was talking in front of the kids was super disturbing. That was some toxic stuff and not what you'd expect from a pro in that situation. It sounded like a bunch over privileged high schoolers whining about their non existent problems.

I cant deny that Im pretty intrigued to see how his time with you guys plays out. I'd have no hesitation cheering you guys on in the playoffs. But if Duchene does actually end up being legit cursed, it will be ever so slightly satisfying and funny to know that we unknowingly dodged a bullet by doing a full out face plant after forgetting to tie our shoe laces.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Clearly Duchene is the problem, not the jackass head coach who has 0 use for skill players like Bjorkstrand that can’t grind. :rolleyes:

Your view of Bjork is disturbing and your view of Torts is just silly. There are a lot of issues with Torts, but your assessment isn't on that list.

Reactions: Viqsi

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I must admit that I didn't watch Duchenne much before he got here but going off of stats, I was pumped when he arrived and brought Dzingel with him. The question might be, does he even want to stay if a contract is offered?
I think this season hurts so much because the Jackets are loaded up with 6 guys with over 20 goals but alas the Jackets have (in typical Jackets fashion) had the wheels come off of the bus. I don't pretend to know what the answer is but it is very aggravating to have this go on for 20 years. 20 years!!!!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Duchene was slow to start with Ottawa for his first 20 games or so.

After that, he played some of the best hockey of his career and while he's obviously not on a McDavid/Matthews/Crosby etc tier, looked like a legit top center.

He played at something like a 90-100 point pace in Ottawa when you discount his first chunk of games where he wasn't producing at all. That's over the course of about 100 games and two seasons.

If I were a CBJ fan, and Panarin+Bob are leaving, I'm not sure I'd want to see them give up an unprotected pick 2020 pick, but if they do sign Duchene I wouldn't be worried about him not producing long term. What is happening now seems to mirror when what happened when he joined Ottawa. I'm not saying CBJ is going to be terrible if those players walk, just that unprotected picks are very volatile in the way the NHL is set up.

As far as Duchene being a cancer, there is nothing to suggest he is. While I have no way of knowing he's not a cancer, since I am not in the room, and there's been nothing really documenting his behavior behind closed doors in Ottawa, the burden of proof would be on those suggesting he is one.

At most there is the idea that he requested a trade from Colorado, but what is often ignored is that he didn't request a trade, more so he requested a resolution to a messy situation that had been ongoing for over a season. Sakic shopped him publicly for a long time. Second, the Uber video was widely characterized by ex-NHL analysts as being nothing out of the ordinary. Players bitch about coaches, coaches and managers bitch about players. Duchene and co just happened to get caught.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I must admit that I didn't watch Duchenne much before he got here but going off of stats, I was pumped when he arrived and brought Dzingel with him. The question might be, does he even want to stay if a contract is offered?
I think this season hurts so much because the Jackets are loaded up with 6 guys with over 20 goals but alas the Jackets have (in typical Jackets fashion) had the wheels come off of the bus. I don't pretend to know what the answer is but it is very aggravating to have this go on for 20 years. 20 years!!!!

To keep Duchene, I think it would take either a really great commitment on an 8 year contract that no other team can match, or CBJ going on a nice run. For example, if Columbus were to offer Duchene something similar to the Stone contract in Vegas, no other team in the open market is going to come close to matching that since it would take nearly an 11M AAV on a 7 year term.

I think a big part of it will come down to whether Duchene feels he will get a chance to play playoff hockey in Columbus. To an extent, he can get paid anywhere, but he's clearly established playoff hockey is a major priority.

While we don't know if signing bonuses were an issue in Ottawa (They probably would have been if they ever got to talking money), the reason he apparently did not want to re-sign in Ottawa was the team being in a rebuild.

He wants to play for a team that is already built. If CBJ are in a position where they lose Panarin, Bobrovsky, and Dzingel after missing the playoffs, I think it will be difficult to convince Duchene to stay. If you guys can make it into the playoffs and have a competitive series or two, keep Dzingel, and make a commitment to adding another player or two through trade at the draft or in free agency, I think Duchene would stay.

There's been rumours that Nashville is a "preferred" destination of his. The only hiccup I could see with him signing in Nashville is that he'd have to be willing to sign a team friendly deal. They rare do bonuses or trade protection. I don't really buy for a second that he'd consider Ottawa in free agency as has been rumoured. I think that was just PR spin.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->