Speculation: Matt Duchene Mega-Megathread | Volume IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It absolutely wasnt,we had nothing on the left side of our defense.Most realsitic fans saw this .Unless you actually believed both Cowen and Weircioch were going to get better??

He absolutely was, from a person who would have directly known. I already know what arguing with you is like, so I'll exit stage left.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It absolutely wasnt,we had nothing on the left side of our defense.Most realsitic fans saw this .Unless you actually believed both Cowen and Weircioch were going to get better??

What are you talking about? You had Methot (who was notoriously known as Karlsson's partner) and Phaneuf signed for like the next half decade. Plus names like Claesson and Harpur coming up. You didn't have any star #1 quality LHD but Chabot was a long shot to become that as well.

You're arguing that Ottawa needed future LHD last summer when these talks happened yet they drafted Logan Brown with Chychrun and Bean on the table. Think about that.

Ottawa needed, among other things a #1C. And they absolutely would have used Chabot to make that happen just over a year ago.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Neither Cowen nor Wiercioch were Senators property last summer so why would anyone believing they were going to get better matter to a Senators fan?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Again Roy could say anything he wanted to .But it still doesnt make it true .Maybe Roy said this to make Sakic look the fool on his way out ??But us adding Chabot to Zibby never happened:nod:

Oh the irony. You saying something doesn't make it true either.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What are you talking about? You had Methot (who was notoriously known as Karlsson's partner) and Phaneuf signed for like the next half decade. Plus names like Claesson and Harpur coming up.

You didn't have any star #1 quality LHD but Chabot was a long shot to become that as well.

You're arguing that Ottawa needed future LHD last summer when these talks happened yet they drafted Logan Brown with Chychrun and Bean on the table. Think about that.

Ottawa needed, among other things a #1C. And they absolutely would have used Chabot to make that happen just over a year ago.
We did not have Phaneuf ,before we traded Zibby

.Harpur and Claesson were still just projects and Cowen and Wiercicoh were looking like the busts they eventually became.

The best LHD prospect we had then as we do now is still Chabot .Which makes it highly unlikely we would have or could have included him any deal involving Duchene.

Ottawa was in the market for a LHC ,and Zibby was the main piece being offered in order to gain one .Which we did in Brassard,it would seem pretty obvious we would have approached COL with simmular offer .But it doesnt and still doesnt make any sense for Ottawa to include their only LHD prospect on top of an already decent and younger Zibby:nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Neither Cowen nor Wiercioch were Senators property last summer so why would anyone believing they were going to get better matter to a Senators fan?
At the time that the hype for us making a deal ,we had more questions than answers on that left side .Chabot wasnt on the table

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We did not have Phaneuf ,before we traded Zibby

Uhh, but you did.

.Harpur and Claesson were still just projects and Cowen and Wiercicoh were looking like the busts they eventually became.

Harpur and Claesson were projects just like Chabot who the Sens were publically unhappy with over his first training camp and was coming off and injury filled draft +1 season. Wiercioch wasn't even qualified (strange considering your die hard need for LHD) and Cowen was traded to the Leafs months earlier.

The best LHD prospect we had then as we do now is still Chabot .Which makes it highly unlikely we would have or could have included him any deal involving Duchene.

I never said he wasn't a need. I said he would have been traded for Duchene but you're pretending to be Pierre Dorian here and refusing to believe anything.

Ottawa was in the market for a LHC ,and Zibby was the main piece being offered in order to gain one .Which we did in Brassard,it would seem pretty obvious we would have approached COL with simmular offer .But it doesnt and still doesnt make any sense for Ottawa to include their only LHD prospect on top of an already decent and younger Zibby:nod:

Nobody is ever in the market for a "LHC". They don't care what hand they shoot. This isn't a defenseman. When you say things like "LHC" it shows your lack of knowledge of the situation. If you want to pretend you're involved in informal decisions with the Senators that's fine but we'll quickly learn that you're full of **** when you say things like the Senators were looking for a LHC. They needed a 1C and last summer Duchene was considered a top 20C in the NHL. He was much more highly regarded than Brassard and Zibby.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sorry AVS fans, gl in your search for getting what you need for Duchene .But we made terrible trading partners back then as we do now

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You can't even get simple facts correct and you're arguing with people who actually know things? Instead of arguing on the internet maybe you should look into learning things like punctuation.
And you are arguing about punctuation .And claiming people know more than others on the interent because of this......Please :laugh:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And you are arguing about punctuation .And claiming people know more than others on the interent because of this......Please :laugh:

Are you seriously trying to argue that Zibanejad was traded before the Phaneuf trade? I mean we all recognize the delusion but this isn't even an opinionated thing. A 3 second google search tells us the answer.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Are you seriously trying to argue that Zibanejad was traded before the Phaneuf trade? I mean we all recognize the delusion but this isn't even an opinionated thing. A 3 second google search tells us the answer.

You're responding to someone who doesn't even know where to put commas and periods. Do you really think they can figure out how to do a google search?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ok.

A topic brought up by someone in the Saint John organization, between others involved in the Saint John orginization in August of 2016.
I dont care ,there is and still isnt any logic for us to have included him period .The trade chip we had on the table was Zibby ,for us to add our one and only real legit LHD prospect to it .Makes no sense at all ,adding Phaneuf to our blueline .

Only made the need for a young LHD even more a nessesity,as cap space moving forward meant that likely Methot wasnt going to be there for the remander of his contract

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In saying that, Sens were not in the least bit upset at Chabots development last summer. They were thrilled.

That part is complete baloney.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In saying that, Sens were not in the least bit upset at Chabots development last summer. They were thrilled.

That part is complete baloney.

Ooops really? My apologies. I've only heard that from reading numerous posts on here. I thought they were unhappy with him during the 2015 camp.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ooops really? My apologies. I've only heard that from reading numerous posts on here. I thought they were unhappy with him during the 2015 camp.

They publicly said they "expected more" from Chabot at the 2016 prospect development camp in June/July (which he was far and away the best player).

Of course this being HF, people who had no viewings or anything other than a quote from Randy Lee took that and extrapolated that the Sens were unhappy with Chabot. (Not saying you, just the general tone of HFSens after the quote was made)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
They publicly said they "expected more" from Chabot at the 2016 prospect development camp in June/July (which he was far and away the best player).

Of course this being HF, people who had no viewings or anything other than a quote from Randy Lee took that and extrapolated that the Sens were unhappy with Chabot. (Not saying you, just the general tone of HFSens after the quote was made)

I've certainly had my fair share of Chabot viewings over his junior career, but yes I would be one who heard that HF rumor and listened to it. My bad.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I dont care ,there is and still isnt any logic for us to have included him period .The trade chip we had on the table was Zibby ,for us to add our one and only real legit LHD prospect to it .Makes no sense at all ,adding Phaneuf to our blueline .

Only made the need for a young LHD even more a nessesity,as cap space moving forward meant that likely Methot wasnt going to be there for the remander of his contract

No, it doesn't make any sense.

I wouldn't have had Chabot on the table whatsoever, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that the Sens in fact did have Chabot as a piece available.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Seriously.

Ottawa dodged one hell of a bullet on that one. Kinda scary to think how close Ottawa came to losing yet another major trade.

Probably would have depended on if Duchene instead of Brassard would have been the difference between winning or losing to the Pens which he very well could have been. So I wouldn't exactly say that you have dodged a bullet. It might just have cost you a cup.

But yeah.

Given what happend over the last 12 months in Colorado and with Chabot, it does not look good for Ottawa.

But 12 months ago Chabot was a very good prospect but not nearly as valuable as he is right now.

I remember back when I first heard of it that I wasn't even that enthusiastic about it and thought that I would not lose sleep about it not happening.

12 months later our GM has let this turn into a ****show, we finished with 48 points and Duchene had his career worst season by far...

**** happens I guess...

@topshelf:

Well now I know that I don't have to take you seriously. Thanks for that.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'll never understand why a single tournament is enough to convince some people. Chabot took the next step last season, and looked like a world beater for sure at the WJC, but he was playing against teenagers. The guy hasn't even qualified for an NHL roster yet, and the strong implication is that he's worth endless amounts more than an established 1st line player and Olympic veteran who had an off year.

Purely in a vacuum, I don't want Chabot for Duchene. I know most other Avs fans salivate at the thought, but **** the hype - plenty of guys like him turn into nothing at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad