Speculation: Matt Duchene Mega-Megathread | Volume IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen yesterday. I do believe Sakic is evaluating his trade options and will make his decision before not long. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Vegas might have a shot...

They have more than enough trade bait and Douch can be their numero uno and a fresh start...not to mention, not very far to travel. It's a bit of a ******** drive from Denver to Vegas because you have to go "around" -> up to Cheyenne, across to Salt Lake and down.

Are teams willing to beat the last offer turned down by the Isles or do you all feel his value has decreased since then and who would the Rangers/Canadiennes give up in return?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen yesterday. I do believe Sakic is evaluating his trade options and will make his decision before not long. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I am not. Montreal simply does not make much sense.

CBJ, CAR, NSH and even the Islanders can easily beat any offer if they just want to do so.

So even if you were correct that Bergevin submitted his final bid, it makes sense that nothing has happened at all.

Because Montreal always was and IMO still is very much a longshot. Same as the Rangers (if Skjei is really off limits for Duchene).

You don't have the young D Sakic probably still wants and even if he is finally ready to come off that ask, almost all other interested teams can easily outbid you when it comes to a futures heavy deal...

The only slim chance MTL has was something around Galchenyuk but I still don't understand why Sakic would make that move unless Bergevin adds a significant piece and I very much doubt that MB would be willing to do that.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017

Just out of curiosity, what do you think Montreal would offer at this point?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Vegas might have a shot...

They have more than enough trade bait and Douch can be their numero uno and a fresh start...not to mention, not very far to travel. It's a bit of a ******** drive from Denver to Vegas because you have to go "around" -> up to Cheyenne, across to Salt Lake and down.

Are teams willing to beat the last offer turned down by the Isles or do you all feel his value has decreased since then and who would the Rangers/Canadiennes give up in return?

I don't think Sakic is considering Duchene's travel adventures as part of the trade. Also I cant see Vegas having any interest in acquiring a guy who's only two years away from UFA.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016

CBJ, CAR, NSH and even the Islanders can easily beat any offer if they just want to do so.

So even if you were correct that Bergevin submitted his final bid, it makes sense that nothing has happened at all.

Because Montreal always was and IMO still is very much a longshot.

You don't have the young D Sakic probably still wants and even if he is finally ready to come off that ask, almost all other interested teams can easily outbid you when it comes to a futures heavy deal...

Not just Montreal. From what I was told, Colorado was making a push, and teams were going in. At first I thought it was Montreal that was pushing, but then it seemed like it was Colorado in fact that was pushing for a deal and Montreal had submitted their final offer. Colorado must have received a number of offers and are likely to make their decision before not long.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
The only Montreal deal that makes sense at this point is a swap of Duchene and Galchenyuk and as discussed I think that leaves a lot of fans on both sides feeling lukewarm. Doesn't accomplish much logistically for either club besides giving two players fresh starts. If Sakic is still pushing for a young defender, Montreal is off the list. Juulsen isn't good enough to be the centerpiece and the Habs probably need to keep him anyways.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Just out of curiosity, what do you think Montreal would offer at this point?

I wasn't told what pieces were offered, but if I were to *guess*, I would have to say it would likely either revolve around Galchenyuk or Mete, though my guess is as good as any of yours.

Personally, I wouldn't add more to a Galchenyuk for Duchene swap. As for Mete, I'm very, very high on him - he had a breakout year in the OHL (IMO he was a top 10 defenseman in the OHL last season) and is a very smooth skater. I honestly do not want to lose Mete, as he's our only PMD prospect with a high ceiling. Honestly, I'd rather Montreal stay out of this, it seems like a trade that could potentially burn us.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I wasn't told what pieces were offered, but if I were to *guess*, I would have to say it would likely either revolve around Galchenyuk or Mete, though my guess is as good as any of yours.

Personally, I wouldn't add more to a Galchenyuk for Duchene swap. As for Mete, I'm very, very high on him - he had a breakout year in the OHL (IMO he was a top 10 defenseman in the OHL last season) and is a very smooth skater. I honestly do not want to lose Mete, as he's our only PMD prospect with a high ceiling. Honestly, I'd rather Montreal stay out of this, it seems like a trade that could potentially burn us.

I see a Galchenyuk for Duchene swap as the most likely deal between these two teams as well. This deal would be meh for the Avs and Montreal would seemingly need to add Duchene to Galchenyuk to have a competitive roster. That being said it wouldn't surprise me if this is the deal that happens just because it would be so meh for both sides.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So what's the word on this? I read he might not report to camp, Montreal put in an offer? Looking like he is being dealt? I really hope he doesn't go to Montreal...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Is it possible for Sakic to be playing two trade options? He wants a top4, right? How about trading ****** for some pieces and trade another player(s) for a top 4, instead.

I'm thinking other positions might get more teams involved which means more choice and more chance to gain a top 4

ie. Trade for Galch
then package a trade for a top 4 with other players.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Is it possible for Sakic to be playing two trade options? He wants a top4, right? How about trading ****** for some pieces and trade another player(s) for a top 4, instead.

I'm thinking other positions might get more teams involved which means more choice and more chance to gain a top 4

ie. Trade for Galch

The whole point of Duchene being on the block in the first place was to get that quality, young D the Avs are lacking so badly.

Sakic might be forced to come off that ask right now but IMO the sensible decision would be to bite the bullet and settle for a more future heavy deal instead in order to simply draft the guys he couldn't land for years now or atleast trade for them early enough in their development as a prospect after the draft where they are still gettable.

I just don't see how the Avs benefit from a swap of Duchene for Galchenyuk in the longrun apart from the fact that the Duchene drama is over.

I don't exactly see a huge need for a player like him and would prefer if the Avs would focus on fixing their Defense and shoring up their center core before they adress their wings...

And yeah cgf is right.

Sakic already is one of the most passive GMs in the league. Asking him to make two major deals is a tad bit unrealistic.

Also aside from maybe Landeskog (who is not reall on the block anylonger IMO and would also have a hard time fetching us that D we want), I don't see many better trading chips that could land the Avs what they want that we could afford to lose...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

ie. Trade for Galch

Sakic cant make 1 trade. Let's not even discuss shuffling multiple pieces.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH

Because Montreal always was and IMO still is very much a longshot. Same as the Rangers (if Skjei is really off limits for Duchene).

The only slim chance MTL has was something around Galchenyuk but I still don't understand why Sakic would make that move unless Bergevin adds a significant piece and I very much doubt that MB would be willing to do that.

Any chance a 3-Way between CBJ, COL, and MTL could get done?

Something like CBJ gets chucky, MTL gets Duchene and COL gets young players, prospects, and picks?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Something like CBJ gets chucky, MTL gets Duchene and COL gets young players, prospects, and picks?

Depending on the prospects, this type of deal would heavily favor CBJ and MTL IMO.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

What specific young players, prospects and picks would Colorado get in this scenario? It's hard to evaluate whether a trade works when one team is just getting a vague package of random pieces.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Depending on the prospects, this type of deal would heavily favor CBJ and MTL IMO.

Yeah, proposals like this usually end with the Avs acquiring a smattering of B prospects and 2nd round or later picks. Maybe a 2019 pick if they're lucky. Lol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I mean, if CBJ prefers Chucky, then sure. But the avs wouldn't want any less than they would in a straight Duchene trade. The ask would likely still be Murray or Carlsson & Bjorkstrand+1st or Dubois; with the avs sending back a top 4 prospect like Bigras, Timmins, or Meloche.

With an outside shot of Abramov working as the forward prospect; although in that case the 1st would definitely need to be included and the Avs would not be adding one of their exciting defensive prospects.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

No the CBJ need a 2C and Galchenyuk isn't a NHL center right now. We would deal directly with the Avs for Duchene.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
No the CBJ need a 2C and Galchenyuk isn't a NHL center right now. We would deal directly with the Avs for Duchene.

If we can get Duchene without sacrificing Carlson I'd hug Jarmo. I truly think Carlson can be great for us in the future.

I'm hoping the prospect tourbnanwt has scouts from COL who come back and say...**** it let's do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->