Matt Duchene Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Both Yashin and Spezza had more impressive seasons with this team imo, but he was great non the less.

Too bad we couldn't keep him and all the other talent around.
Put Duchene between Alfie and Heatley and who knows what could have happened with his speed. We had Duchene during two losing (horrible) seasons and look what he accomplished.

Reactions: billpo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Put Duchene between Alfie and Heatley and who knows what could have happened with his speed. We had Duchene during two losing (horrible) seasons and look what he accomplished.

What happens if you put him between McEchern and Dackell? Does he put up 44 goals and 94 pts in a year where goal scoring was significantly less than it is today?

Look at Yashin and Spezza's production compared to their peers, Duchene is 35th in scoring, Yashin was 6th in 98-99, Spezza was 6th in 07-08. Heck, Spezza was 4th in scoring in 11-12 with Greening and Michalek as his linemates.

Anyways, this is about appreciating Duchene, so I'm not going to push this; he was great in his time here, hopefully people won't diminish it now that he's gone.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I appreciate the fact he was one of the most skilled players to ever dawn the Senators crest.
He would continue to go to practices knowing full well he wouldn’t be on the team in a few weeks. Shows character. He could have just sat at home awaiting a trade.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I appreciate the fact he was one of the most skilled players to ever dawn the Senators crest.
He would continue to go to practices knowing full well he wouldn’t be on the team in a few weeks. Shows character. He could have just sat at home awaiting a trade.
Not sure if that really shows character.

It would not look good on him to sit out waiting for a trade when his arrival go Ottawa was due to a trade request.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
I appreciated the leadership.

It looked like he was motivating the other guys and keeping things positive.

Dorion should have iced an NHL quality top 4D before tearing it down (when you can't benefit from a tank). That would have meant trading Hoffman earlier and keeping Karlsson until this deadline. Could have kept one of the big three and potentially had to trade the rest. More off-ice distractions but the team sucked anyway, so really what are we talking about here as far as effective strategy.

Despite all of this, Duchene led by example and a professional. Anchoring one of the Sens top 2 lines and producing, what's not to like?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Has anyone read the piece from former NHLer Marc Savard.....he has the strongest impression that Matt is gone for now, but will be back as a UFA with Ottawa. He seems pretty convinced. I want to add that in the exit interviews last night, Matt also said that we will see what will change by summer with the stability of this franchise....maybe, and here is hoping, that there will be some addition of new partners and this will create stability and cash and Matt makes a ltd with us......fingers crossed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Has anyone read the piece from former NHLer Marc Savard.....he has the strongest impression that Matt is gone for now, but will be back as a UFA with Ottawa. He seems pretty convinced. I want to add that in the exit interviews last night, Matt also said that we will see what will change by summer with the stability of this franchise....maybe, and here is hoping, that there will be some addition of new partners and this will create stability and cash and Matt makes a ltd with us......fingers crossed.

Here's hoping Dorion's master plan was to convince Stone, Duchene, Karlsson and Dzingel to get traded but not extend, and then re-sign in Ottawa after the draft...

Sounds like something Eklund would dream up...

Reactions: topshelf15

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Here's hoping Dorion's master plan was to convince Stone, Duchene, Karlsson and Dzingel to get traded but not extend, and then re-sign in Ottawa after the draft...

Sounds like something Eklund would dream up...

After all of the brutal misery of the last couple of years I think we deserve the type of fairy tale outcome that would be too unbelievable if you saw it in a movie. We need something good to happen to this franchise. There's nearly nothing left to hope for.

Reactions: DrEasy and mysens

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I always like Duchene .. Would have been fantastic to keep Karlsson, Hoffman, Stone, Dzingel and Duchene and tweak, improve the D with 1 acquisition, bring Chabot up maybe get a 1 physical bottom six player that could skate , get a coach that wouldn't play Pyatt ahead of everyone else and see what we could have done.

Just a terrible way to run a NHL team. Cannot be stressed enough.

Sorry to see him go.

Reactions: billpo and Deku

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Definitely one of the best to ever play for the Sens, too bad he was only here for a couple of crappy years. He was a treat to watch.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's just asinine to think he was an all in chip to eventually being traded a year and a half later for less than what he went for.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Duchene was so impressive to watch but not sure if you could say that watching the 33,34,35 year old version with an extended contract.

Hope the Jackets make a long run in the playoffs for Duchene's sake. Something that will be totally new for him.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Great player,was so fun to watch...Feel kinda bad he didnt get to see the actual Ottawa crowds cheering him on here,EM kinda pooched that for him....

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Duchene was so impressive to watch but not sure if you could say that watching the 33,34,35 year old version with an extended contract.

Hope the Jackets make a long run in the playoffs for Duchene's sake. Something that will be totally new for him.
Nah, that just makes our pick lower should they go on a run to the ECF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->