Matt Carle - First NHL goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jori

Carle played 10 minutes tonight. His big boo boo was when he collided with Marleau, which gave Rolston a breakaway to the net, scoring the only Minnesota goal. I don't expect Matt to be a significant factor for San Jose this year, but once he gets adjusted, watch out. I know Malkin will likely win the Calder next year (if he comes over), but Carle is a dark horse candidate.

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
To be fair, Carle had a bad game. 2 penalties, and his pinch led to the one Wild goal. But that last shot was great. Through a screen and down in the corner.

I agree that he will be special.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Leachmeister2000 said:
Didn't we all say that when Parise scored 3 pts in his first NHL game? WAIT.

So what is Parise a bust according to you? What the hell are you smoking?

The Boot

Feb 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
The same thing was said about Peter Sejna after he scored in his first game, on Patrick Roy of all goaltenders. I didn't see this game but i think it will take more than one before we label him something special.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
Carle had a pretty poor game, but that is to be expected for a player that has played college all year and hasn't even been to an NHL training camp. Not to mention the kid has been playing 30 minutes a game all year with Denver. That shot was something special though, very hard accurate wrist shot that picked the corner.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Nothing to see here. He probably will be something special but he didn't particularly show it tonight even if he did score. My guess is that we won't be able to tell for at least another two years.

If he takes the typical 5-year path of a typical NHL defenseman, he's going to be perceived to be terrible for the next two years before he starts to find his game and then in the fourth or fifth year become really really good. Plenty of young defensemen taking the same scenic route:

Klesla (year 3)
Bouwmeester (year 3)
Ehrhoff (year 2)
Orpik (year 2)
Volchenkov (year 3)
Hamhuis (year 2)
Colaiacovo (essentially year 1)
Gleason (year 2)
Tyutin (year 2)

and some on the tail end of it:
Brewer (year 4)
Boynton (year 4)
Leopold (year 3)
Mara (year 5)

Not everyone is going to be a Pitkanen or Phaneuf or even a Seabrooke.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
ukyo said:
Nothing to see here. He probably will be something special but he didn't particularly show it tonight even if he did score. My guess is that we won't be able to tell for at least another two years.

If he takes the typical 5-year path of a typical NHL defenseman, he's going to be perceived to be terrible for the next two years before he starts to find his game and then in the fourth or fifth year become really really good. Plenty of young defensemen taking the same scenic route:

Not everyone is going to be a Pitkanen or Phaneuf or even a Seabrooke.

One could say that some on your list still have not found their games ;)

While Carle does not possess the raw talent of Phaneuf or Pitakanen, he is one of the fastest learners I have ever had the privlege of seeing. Each year he had made significant strides in his game. He is a very mature and intelligent player, and I doubt it would take as long as five years for him to start showing his stuff. I think he will solidify himself as an NHL defenseman within a season, and definitely won't be percieved as "terrible". From then on, I think he will reach his potential very quickly.

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
``He was on the ice for a goal-against, but that wasn't his fault: Nobody backed him up,'' Wilson said. ``He was nervous at times, but who wouldn't be? There were a lot of things he did so well. It's fun to see a defenseman skate like that.''

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
ukyo said:
Klesla (year 3)
Bouwmeester (year 3)
Ehrhoff (year 2)
Orpik (year 2)
Volchenkov (year 3)
Hamhuis (year 2)
Colaiacovo (essentially year 1)
Gleason (year 2)
Tyutin (year 2)

i dont know if your just listing them because thats how far out they are but hamhuis is impressive to say the least everytime i see him, tyutin has been good, orpik is a hitter like he was drafted for while being good defensively for the most part, ehrhoff when i see him has been one of those future good PP qb defensemen and volchenkov is a hell of a player as well, so im just hoping ur not saying they are still in the wings of waiting to emerge because many of them are pretty damn good already

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
i dont know if your just listing them because thats how far out they are but hamhuis is impressive to say the least everytime i see him, tyutin has been good, orpik is a hitter like he was drafted for while being good defensively for the most part, ehrhoff when i see him has been one of those future good PP qb defensemen and volchenkov is a hell of a player as well, so im just hoping ur not saying they are still in the wings of waiting to emerge because many of them are pretty damn good already

Yes, actually, I think every player on that list will be a lot better than they already are. I'm just saying that with young defensemen you have to be a bit more patient than with a young forward.

Docter419

Dec 28, 2005
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Matt Carle will be a great NHL defenceman. He reminds me of Sergei Gonchar with a little more defensive zone responsibility. Give him time he will be our PP quarterback for years to come.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I was at the game...good for him.

you can tell he has a little trouble with the pace of play tho.

San Jose is in very good shape on their blueline for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->