Matt Carle-Calder chances?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Carle is scoring at about a point-per-game pace right now. What will he have to do to win the ROTY trophy? Since defensemen generally have a very hard time getting it, what kind of stats will he have to put up to win the award?

Is a forward (lets say Malkin) getting 100 points a more remarkable feat than Carle (or any defenseman) getting 70 points?

Mr_Jones*

If Carle wins it, I'll **** a brick. I wonder how many points Kopitar or Malkin would have as 22-year-olds playing on Cup contenders.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
the only way Carle wins the Calder is if Malkin misses substantial time or if he only gets around 70 points.

I don't think Carle will keep up his production but will be good for 40-50 points.

what
Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
I wonder how many points Kopitar or Malkin would have as 22-year-olds playing on Cup contenders.
Not that many, because first year players likely will not get top line minutes on Cup contenders.

With that said, Carle has zero chance of winning the Calder.

Marlloon*

If Carle wins it, I'll **** a brick. I wonder how many points Kopitar or Malkin would have as 22-year-olds playing on Cup contenders.

Probably less since they would have less icetime due to the additional depth a good team has.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Not that many, because first year players likely will not get top line minutes on Cup contenders.

With that said, Carle has zero chance of winning the Calder.

Usually rookies don't get top line minutes, but i think Malkin most likely would. He's too good not to see a lot of ice time.

Also, Malkin had stated in not-so-many words that he wouldn't come over to North America if he wasn't recieving the ice time he deserves.

I'm not so sure about Kopitar on this one though.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

That's a fair point, but Carle is getting #5 ice time on the Sharks right now, behind McLaren, Hannan, Ehrhoff, and Vlasic. And if you've watched him play, you would see that he is the catalyst for the Sharks power play, not Joe Thornton, not Christian Ehrhoff. He's made some absolutely spectacular plays in the offensive zone.

Also, Malkin is getting first-line ice time with Crosby and Armstrong, two fairly talented offensive players.

Kopitar is getting first PP time and does have some offensively talented teammates in Dustin Brown, Alexander Frolov, and (in the future) Patrick O'Sullivan.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A lot of people are saying zero chance, ok, fine. But then what is more impressive:

a 70-point season by a defenseman or a 100-point season by a forward

Anthony*

it isnt that cut and dry

people want to see malkin/kopitar win it

not some 2nd round pick dman from a market/team that people still dont care about

its going to take a heck of a lot more than 70 points to do it

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
it isnt that cut and dry

people want to see malkin/kopitar win it

not some 2nd round pick dman from a market/team that people still dont care about

its going to take a heck of a lot more than 70 points to do it

I suspect a lot more people wanted to see Crosby win the award rather than Ovechkin, but the player with the better year won.

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
zero chance is pretty harsh considering right now he is top 3 with Malkin and Kopitar.

As for his age vs. Malkin or Kopitar. Its rookie of the year, not most impressive showing for your age. Whoever has the best rookie season regardless of age wins the rookie of the year.

AvengerK

Mar 9, 2004
Cal Poly, the good 1
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know who the other Calder finalists were for the year where Selanne decided he wanted to set a record no other rookie is likely to break?

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Is a forward (lets say Malkin) getting 100 points a more remarkable feat than Carle (or any defenseman) getting 70 points?

Good topic to bring up around the All Star break. Right now Carle projects to get 76 points, Malkin 140 points. Something tells me one of them (or both) won't be keeping this pace.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
A lot of people are saying zero chance, ok, fine. But then what is more impressive:

a 70-point season by a defenseman or a 100-point season by a forward

Probably 70 point season by a defenceman. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, Brian Leetch is the only rookie d-man to ever hit 70 points. A few have cracked 60. But 70...

While 100 points has been done by: Stastny, Hawerchuk, Selanne, Juneau, Lemieux, Crosby and Ovechkin. So, even though, with the exception of Juneau (Who played on a line with Oates and Neely that year.) the ones retired or nearing retirement are HHoF calibre and the ones who aren't are the face of the new NHL. It's still a more common occurence.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Malkin has everything going for him, hes the most hyped and hes playing on a line of future all-stars, hes going to run away with the Calder. Kopitar is having a great year but he won't get as many points as Malkin just by looking at the linemates. That being said Carle has no chance.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Gary Suter had sixty-eight points his rookie year...but I can't recall anyboy who got over seventy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad