Matt Beleskey scores in every game of round 2

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Really? Sekac good enough to replace him?

I think that it's a combination of Sekac being almost as good (with another year or two of seasoning) and Beleskey being a UFA & the Ducks (unfortunately) not being able to afford what he (justifiably) should bring moving forward.

Then again he was drafted by Anaheim so perhaps he's willing to give them a (slight) discount to stay there. Probably has something to do with how the rest of the playoffs/Cup run goes too. For all this intangible stuff though, we're just going to have to wait & see.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Not bad for a guy who was on waivers a few years ago.

I'm not sure he'll play at this level again, but he's had a damn good season so far.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
I think Silfverberg might have something to say about that too. 11 points in 9 games.

:yo:

I've been pretty high on Silfverberg since he arrived in Anaheim (those SHL youtube videos, man!), between his solid defensive play and his offensive upside he just seemed like a guy with great all-around potential.

Awesome to see him BEING a great player right now. Every night, in all three zones.

As for Beleskey... he's been excellent, and I love it, but I really think he's walking this summer. Bob's got too many good kids coming up on wing to need to drop $4 million or so on Matt, and I'd rather see him lock up Jakob long-term and re-sign Beauchemin. Not to mention the need to keep a good chunk of cap space open for all the contracts coming up after next season. If Matt re-signs at a discount, great, but the smarter move for him is to go to the highest bidder while he can.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I've been pretty high on Silfverberg since he arrived in Anaheim (those SHL youtube videos, man!), between his solid defensive play and his offensive upside he just seemed like a guy with great all-around potential.

Awesome to see him BEING a great player right now. Every night, in all three zones.

As for Beleskey... he's been excellent, and I love it, but I really think he's walking this summer. Bob's got too many good kids coming up on wing to need to drop $4 million or so on Matt, and I'd rather see him lock up Jakob long-term and re-sign Beauchemin. Not to mention the need to keep a good chunk of cap space open for all the contracts coming up after next season. If Matt re-signs at a discount, great, but the smarter move for him is to go to the highest bidder while he can.

I mean Jakob is third in points on the team only behind Getzlaf and Perry all while playing some really fantastic defense.

I liked to compare him to Sami Pahlsson circa 2007 earlier in the year, but Jakob is really starting to surpass him at this point.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Not bad for a guy who was on waivers a few years ago.

I'm not sure he'll play at this level again, but he's had a damn good season so far.

The pucks been finding him wherever he goes. Sometimes it happens like that, sometimes it doesn't. I don't value his goal scoring these playoffs as much going forward as I would his physical ability to change the flow the game. He made huge hits in the Jets series that completely took the wind out of the Jets sails. Nobody expects him to be anything more than a 15-20 goal scorer throughout the year, but I'd be willing to bet there are teams willing to take the chance on paying him. Especially if a guy like David Clarkson can get paid...

Evergreen

Don't forget his dominance in shootouts. I watched a ton of Ducks games when I lived in LA and that kid is money in the shoutout.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I love Beleskey, but as others have said I can't see how he's around next year. He's never scored even double digits in goals before this season, and his shooting percentage is way above his career norms. Maybe he did make some strides in his shooting this past offseason and this really is a sustainable change, but I wouldn't be willing to make a $4M per year bet on it with the offensive depth the Ducks already have on both the NHL squad and in the minors.

Career year plus him being a young, gritty player (only 26) will mean he has a lot of options this offseason.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think Silfverberg might have something to say about that too. 11 points in 9 games.

Agreed. Anaheim added Kesler to give them that top end 2nd center that they needed, but that isn't the whole story. Silfverberg deserves a ton of credit as well, this is the first time in a long time that I've felt that Anaheim had a 2nd line that wasn't just an afterthought to the Getzlaf-Perry line. It's not just a dangerous line offensively, but it's a legitimate two-way capable line.

Don't forget his dominance in shootouts. I watched a ton of Ducks games when I lived in LA and that kid is money in the shoutout.

Yeah, he's pretty close to automatic. It's the same move every time, and I'm pretty sure the goaltenders know it's coming, but his release is just so quick that he still beats them. I still think he's learning how to utilize it during the game, when he doesn't have the time and space you have during the shootout, but he's making strides(both figurative and literal) and has definitely improved since we first acquired him from Ottawa.

I think he's very quickly become a fan favorite.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

No he isn't. They don't play the same game. Beleskey bring toughness and grit that Sekac doesn't. Maybe Sekac eventually does become a top six forward, but his contribution will be offensive only and so far it hasn't happened. Beleskey probably just had a career year. But if he can continually put up 15-20 goals with his toughness he will be a very valuable commodity for someone. Unfortunately, like many others, I think he will end up walking.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Beleskey just likes playing against the Flames, he had 4 points in 3 regular season games this year. I think his point totals were 7 goals and 2 assists in 8 games.

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
No he isn't. They don't play the same game. Beleskey bring toughness and grit that Sekac doesn't. Maybe Sekac eventually does become a top six forward, but his contribution will be offensive only and so far it hasn't happened. Beleskey probably just had a career year. But if he can continually put up 15-20 goals with his toughness he will be a very valuable commodity for someone. Unfortunately, like many others, I think he will end up walking.

Agree with you, but I think Sekac or someone else can easily bring enough of what Matt brought to the Ducks to ease the loss of him walking via free agency.

He has scored more than 10 goals only once in his career before this season(2009-2010) and he hasn't ever played a full season in the NHL.

Not an overwhelming contribution in general. Matt is not a top 6 forward in general.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Agree with you, but I think Sekac or someone else can easily bring enough of what Matt brought to the Ducks to ease the loss of him walking via free agency.

He has scored more than 10 goals only once in his career before this season(2009-2010) and he hasn't ever played a full season in the NHL.

Not an overwhelming contribution in general. Matt is not a top 6 forward in general.

Well, I know we can't afford to pay him like somebody will, but over the years he's been our most skilled gritty guy. Many nights he's the guy providing the energy and physical spark. I think we will miss him even if we get a better scorer to replace him.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It was great to see him score in each game. Ducks will need some scoring from him against Chicago hoping he can deliver some goals.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Very possibly. Sekac has a lot of untapped potential. He's shown flashes of serious skill. Beleskey has been playing out of his mind this year. I'd wager the vast, vast majority of hockey fans didn't know he existed until this year, despite him being in the league for over six years.

I can't predict the future but most Duck fans will agree that this season will probably be his career year by the time he retires. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, especially if he re-signs with us.

It's more like the Ducks probably wont pay even close to what Beleskey could make in the FA market. Nothing against him, he's always been one of my favorite plays because he has constantly tailored and worked on his game to stay on the team whether it be fight, hit, or score goals(he has stated he worked extremely hard on his puck skills this offseason). That stated, he isn't worth the $4M+ he could demand on the open market this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad