Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Actually having his best season ever, by far. Still close to a point per game. Happy for him.

I'm glad he decided to have surgery, even though rehab was a long process. Otherwise the Wild would've been stuck with a less productive player, but now he's worth his millions.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Actually having his best season ever, by far. Still close to a point per game. Happy for him.

I'm glad he decided to have surgery, even though rehab was a long process. Otherwise the Wild would've been stuck with a less productive player, but now he's worth his millions.

Kind of helps that the Wild finally have a legit scoring threat that is serving on the same line as Zucs though. The surgery and all that jazz was certainly something that needed to be done. I think many fans were just confused why it took so long to get something done when it was bothering him last season.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Very good season and potentially a career year ppg wise. He’s an awesome player and I love the way he thinks the game. Somewhat frustrating at times, but what player isn’t?
Yes, when he's in a slump it can be a bit frustrating to see him lackin the energy - but rarely this season. Like watching Parise five games ago versus now. It seemed all hopeless for him ever get a hold of the puck, but now he is great to watch with his renewed self-confidence. Some of the plays Zuccarrello makes cracks me up. Quite a relief: A bit like Kaprisov, like it was in some scrimmage or beer league.

Hjallis

Mar 7, 2020
With 2nd PP unit doing their thing, they could as well keep it.

A good one-two punch there now.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Still on the 2nd, unless they bench Fiala. Our strategy is to confuse our opponents by playing Victor Rask and Bonino on the #1PP, rather than Zuccarello, the player who has shown the most chemistry with Kaprizov.
Haha. Yes, Bonino on the 1 PP unit is like one of those many things that does not make any sense (to me) on the face of it, but works out perfect. Marriages and friendships normally. He's got a big frame though.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Haha. Yes, Bonino on the 1 PP unit is like one of those many things that does not make any sense (to me) on the face of it, but works out perfect. Marriages and friendships normally. He's got a big frame though.
Bonino is on the top PP because he is one of two players (Luke Johnson) that has an over 50% FO win rate.

Reactions: A Bundy

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
This was a nice gesture by the Wild.

I didn't know what this trophy means, but..."given to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities...and has made a...humanitarian contribution in his community." He checks on all the requirements there.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Historically, if he wins it it means he's gone within a year.

Oh dear...he has a fair chance to win it.

Seriously, it looks like the Wild appreciate his services.
And all the charity stuff he's doing as an NHL representative is something the league really likes.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Oh that's not good, may I ask why you don't like him?

I'm a little confused because fans loved him when he played for the Stars and Rangers.
He was being sarcastic because of that trophy's history with this team. If he wins it, he's as good as gone. Everyone who wins it here is destined to play elsewhere soon.

Pretty sure everyone here actually likes Zucc.

Reactions: Blue Ox and Webster

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
He was being sarcastic because of that trophy's history with this team. If he wins it, he's as good as gone. Everyone who wins it here is destined to play elsewhere soon.

Pretty sure everyone here actually likes Zucc.
Delete. The joke was removed.

Last edited:

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Most people like Zuccarello. I think a lot those people are annoyed by the guy that consistently tries to put him above the team because he's a fan of the player, not the team. Would be my guess.

A lot of norwegians can´t see past the fact that he is a norwegian (as of today the only norwegian) playing in the NHL. And a lot of people think he is the best player in the world :) There has been a lot of embarrasing norwegian fans on these boards desperately trying to make him a way better player than he is. It is quite ironic, knowing that it´s hard to find a player that is less selfish than Zucc, he always puts the team before him self. He has always stated that him scoring points doesn´t matter as long as they lose. He would rather win the game with the team, rather than scoring a hat trick and lose the game. I believe him.

As a norwegian, and a huge Zuccarello fan, of course I follow him and support him. I did it when he was in New York, in Dallas and now when he is in Minnesota. We love it when our athletes do good. Zucc has had a great NHL career IMO. He has never been a superstar, but a genuine team player who has worked hard to become the player he is. Been through some tough injuries, including one potential career ending injury, but he always fights back. Who could predict that this would be his best season ever (in points anyways). No one. I honestly thought he was done wathing him struggle in his first season for the Wild. But yet again, he fixed his arm, and he was back again.

To have a player from Norway firmly established in the NHL for a decade is a big thing. It is basically against nature. It shouldn´t be possible. In Norway cross country skiing and other winter sports dominate. Hockey is a small sport, and it makes it difficult to become good enough to play in the NHL. The number of ice rinks in the whole country of Norway is less than the number of ice rinks in the big hockey cities in USA/Canda.

Zuccarello´s success in the NHL is beyond anything that we could ever expect. His personality, all his jokes, his smile, his charity work and the way he plays makes him the popular guy he is. You don´t need to produce a point pr. game to become a great and popular hockey player. For a long time his jersey was the most popular of the skaters, just beat by Lundqvist. That says a lot. His welcome back honoring at the Garden tells the story of how immensely popular he was in NY Rangers.

I hope he gets some really good last years as a NHL player, and I hope he gives all af you Wild fans some great years, and of course It would be amazing to see him lift the cup one deay. But no matter what happens from here on, he has made Norway and norwegian hockey proud.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Thanks for checking in. We think it's great the way he and Kaprizov are so good at finding each other. It seems like they need a change in linemate every so often, but it's clear they have a special "thing" between them.

We'd love to see him lift a Cup, too.:D

Reactions: fredrikstad and Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad