Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I hated the original signing because of the length, but even more so because I knew the NMC would cost us a good young player. Still feel the same way.

But the owner doesn't, he wants to win now and not in five years...

If he’s only playing good because people trash him on Twitter, I guess I need to go make an account.

You obviously missed my point. He performs way above expectations, that's what I'm talking about. In fact more points in his first 10 games of a season than any other player in Wild history, except Koivu and Gaborik. I'm sure all the trash talk on social media made him angry. But there's only one thing he can do about that, go out there and show them. And that's what he did.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
2 good players feeding off of each other, and Rask trying not to f*** up. Fun to watch so far.
Rask sees the same things that Kaprizov and Zuccarello are seeing, he just isn't talented enough to keep up with them.

Hjallis

Mar 7, 2020
But the owner doesn't, he wants to win now and not in five years...

You obviously missed my point. He performs way above expectations, that's what I'm talking about. In fact more points in his first 10 games of a season than any other player in Wild history, except Koivu and Gaborik. I'm sure all the trash talk on social media made him angry. But there's only one thing he can do about that, go out there and show them. And that's what he did.

You are sure about this based on what? Zucc seem to be pretty chill about social media.

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You are sure about this based on what? Zucc seem to be pretty chill about social media.

He hates social media, also said this in public, but he probably keeps an eye on it. 6 months since last time he made a tweet, and he quit facebook. I believe Wild management asked players to avoid it, and it looks like they follow this advice.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
He hates social media, also said this in public, but he probably keeps an eye on it. 6 months since last time he made a tweet, and he quit facebook. I believe Wild management asked players to avoid it, and it looks like they follow this advice.

Where do you come up with these things?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Zuccarello won the NYR, internal "Extra effort" award twice and was an important piece in the NYR playoff runs. When the star players crumbled offensively, Zuccarello and his line always delivered. Zuke and Brassard were gold together with anyone the coach put with them. When McDonagh hit him in the head with a slap shot in the 14/15 playoffs it seriously affected that playoff run. He's not only known for his playmaking, but his defensive effort (no player isn't a two-way player under Tortorella), which is why I thought Minnesota would be a good team for him.

It looks like he has worked hard on his shot too. I mean, it was still good before, but it seems even better now, a bit faster. He looks to have found instant chemistry with Kaprizov, which should be a given considering how creative they both are on the ice - and sees it very well. He was instantly liked in his short tenure in Dallas too, he helped to bolster their scoring quite a bit.

Zuccarello was a huge fan favourite in New York and very popular among teammates too. He's the joking banter kind of guy that lifts the spirit of everyone around him. So yeah, there's a small army of Rangers/ Norwegian/ Scandinavian fans that follows this guy around. I'm certainly one of them, I'm a huge Zuccarello fan.
This is news to me

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
This is news to me
Well, now you know it. Apart from the trophies, watching those playoffs it was clear the momentum changer offensively for NYR was the Zuccarello - Brassard line. You can even go back and watch old threads, the supposed "3rd line" was as well the first one. The top lines mostly failed. Sure, they scored more points with more ice time, but the dagger in the opponent was the Zuke - Brassard line. They scored the timely goals at the right moment.

Or whoever Zuccarello played with in the playoffs. He was an important piece to carry a line to more than they should achieve. His two-way play, his playmaking, his battle level and his will to win was at core piece level.

Overall, the NYR playoff tries were having Lundqvist in net and the team trying to win while he held the fort. So I'm not saying Zuccarello is the new Messiah here, I'm just saying he's a guy you want on a team aspiring to win. And I think he still has that drive left in him. If he's healthy and Minnesota reaches the playoffs, just watch him go. He has that extra level in his game. He really wants to win.

edit: My bad, I just looked it up. He won the "Extra effort award" in New York three times, not two. The only players to surpass him were Adam Graves (5) and Ryan Callahan (4). Then he had runner ups like Mark Messier (2) and Henrik Lundqvist (2).

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Might have to get a Zuccarello jersey. Not a Wild one, probably a Rangers one. He’s going to be a great mentor for Rossi, though Rossi will tower over him on the ice.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Might have to get a Zuccarello jersey. Not a Wild one, probably a Rangers one. He’s going to be a great mentor for Rossi, though Rossi will tower over him on the ice.
Hope Rossi doesn't pick up the oversized stick habit from him though. Imagine the stick handler Zucc could've been if he had one the proper size.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hope Rossi doesn't pick up the oversized stick habit from him though. Imagine the stick handler Zucc could've been if he had one the proper size.
One of, if not the best ever, puck handlers used a longer than normal stick.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
One of, if not the best ever, puck handlers used a longer than normal stick.
Not saying you can't stick handle with an oversized stick, just that you could stick handle much better with a properly sized one. You simply have more precise control.

Even the best stick handler in the world could've seen improvements with a proper sized stick vs extremely oversized.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not saying you can't stick handle with an oversized stick, just that you could stick handle much better with a properly sized one. You simply have more precise control.

Even the best stick handler in the world could've seen improvements with a proper sized stick vs extremely oversized.
And this opinion is based on what exactly?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You know... actually playing.

There's a reason they teach you, shorter sticks = better control longer sticks = better reach for defense.
who is they? Where did you "actually play"?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Doesn't matter, and off topic. Everyone is taught this when they learn the sport.

Zuccarello learned to play with an oversized stick, the point remains, he could've been an even better stick handler with one more proper sized.

For the record, even his own teammates have wondered how he could even stick handle with such a long stick...

Small but mighty Mats Zuccarello's secrets to making it big
When Zuccarello debuted for the Rangers in 2010, he used a comically large stick. It was taller than he was. "Have you seen how long his stick is?" defenseman Brady Skjei said, laughing. "I have no idea how he's able to stick-handle with that thing. It's remarkable."

Last edited:

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Can't believe he can do a slap shot with that stick. Defies some physical laws. Pytagoras would not approve, unless it's 50 flex or something.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Can't believe he can do a slap shot with that stick. Defies some physical laws. Pytagoras would not approve, unless it's 50 flex or something.
Huh? the longer the stick the better the shot. More flex works against slappers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad