Mathletic's 2012 Draft Rankings - Updated Nov. 24

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
any of them in your opinion don't belong there? have you had the chance to see much of Langhamer this year as well?

No, I´m not a scout, I´m just a fan. It looks like this will be the best draft for Czech Republic in a long time (since 2006 I guess). But of course many things can change in half of year.

Dares

May 13, 2009
Not sure Slepyshev will be an NHL first-rounder. He was the first overall pick in 2011 in the KHL and, if he wins the Cherepanov Trophy (the KHL's equivalent of the Calder Trophy) it's pretty much assured that he will be years away from the NHL.

Is this a ranking of who drafts who or just top 30 by skills etc ?
He can play on the f* moon and never come to NHL but if his skill is of a first rounder he should be there.
Same goes for Nikolai Prokhorkin. He is a first round talent.
We want to see rankings of who has what in terms of skill, talent etc not taking in account russian, khl factors, stuff player said in interviews etc etc.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Can anyone tell me why Griffin Reinhart has been falling? If I remember correctly he was ranked around 2-4 at one time

I just think just overall people expected more from him this year. There are a number of players this always happens to, and its hitting some this year. Basically people are expecting to see big improvements year over year, especially going into your draft year, and at the moment, statistically at least, Reinhart looks to be having a year not really any better than last year. I think his health may also be a question mark, but that is a pure guess on my side. He missed a number of game last year, the Hilinka due to injury too I think, and has not yet been healthy this year. Meanwhile a few D men, notably Dumba and Ceci, have really moved up the Dman draft rankings, and that of course moves the others down.

Reinhart is not in any danger of falling out of the first round at the moment though. He is still a big frame good skating D man who may have some offensive upside.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
One of the big reasons I have Maatta that high is that he'll be one of the younger players of the draft. He's basically the same age Koekkoek was last year in his rookie season.

I don't really understand this. February 18th compared to August 22nd (unless I have the birthdays wrong). It's six months, not anything substantial come draft time.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I don't really understand this. February 18th compared to August 22nd (unless I have the birthdays wrong). It's six months, not anything substantial come draft time.

Määttä is in his OHL rookie season at about the same age Koekkoek was in his OHL rookie season. It's more fair to Määttä to compare him to Koekkoek last year than it is to compare them this year one-to-one. One year of experience in any league is significant.

not sure if this is clear enough

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I just think just overall people expected more from him this year. There are a number of players this always happens to, and its hitting some this year. Basically people are expecting to see big improvements year over year, especially going into your draft year, and at the moment, statistically at least, Reinhart looks to be having a year not really any better than last year. I think his health may also be a question mark, but that is a pure guess on my side. He missed a number of game last year, the Hilinka due to injury too I think, and has not yet been healthy this year. Meanwhile a few D men, notably Dumba and Ceci, have really moved up the Dman draft rankings, and that of course moves the others down.

Reinhart is not in any danger of falling out of the first round at the moment though. He is still a big frame good skating D man who may have some offensive upside.

He played at Hlinka. He started out the season looking awful but has looked better lately.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I don't pretend that stats tell the whole story. It just tells a different story than scouts can for example. No one will ever pretend to tell the whole story. Stats can also point out different pieces of information that scouts can't. Stats offer objective analysis.

You've already made up your mind, so I won't get into it anyways.

Thanks for that and good luck.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
Brendan Gaunce has been showing more and more of an offensive game as the season has gone on, why would he start sliding after showing great improvement?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Gaunce is so underrated because he isn't flashy. He's never going to be a franchise forward but chances are you aren't going to pick up a franchise forward at 15-20 anyway. If he was available at 15-20 I'd jump all over him if I was a GM. I think he could top out as a 2nd line center that scores 60+ pts. He's gonna be huge, he's strong as an ox, his skating has improved, and he's a complete player. He's gonna be an important center for a long time for the team that drafts him.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Määttä is in his OHL rookie season at about the same age Koekkoek was in his OHL rookie season. It's more fair to Määttä to compare him to Koekkoek last year than it is to compare them this year one-to-one. One year of experience in any league is significant.

not sure if this is clear enough

I guess this just doesn't make sense for me. It's six months, not a year. Koekkoek was 16 in his rookie season and Maatta is 17 in his. They should be compared now and their potential for the future, anything else is over thinking it.

I'm actually a big fan of both players, but the bolded just doesn't make sense.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I guess this just doesn't make sense for me. It's six months, not a year. Koekkoek was 16 in his rookie season and Maatta is 17 in his. They should be compared now and their potential for the future, anything else is over thinking it.

I'm actually a big fan of both players, but the bolded just doesn't make sense.

Määttä is a month removed from being 2013 eligible

At the start of the 2010 season, Koekkoek was 16 and about 7 months, Määttä just turned 17 before the start of the season. If you want to compare apples to apples, I think it would be more fair to compare Koekkoek last year to Määttä this year. A year of experience is significant.

Määttä is more likely to improve for the rest of the season and next year than Koekkoek is IMO.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
No hockey tonight so I thought I'd do a quick update of my 2012 draft rankings. Check the first page. I left the previous version below the new one.

arsmaster*

No hockey tonight so I thought I'd do a quick update of my 2012 draft rankings. I still need more info on Cody Corbett and Valeri Vasiliyev. That's why you won't find them in the list. I don't have enough info on USHS players either. I belive most seasons are beginning or about to begin. I left the older verison below.

Just to let you know I base my opinion on stats. I'm working towards an objective model, not quite there yet, but improving with time.

1 - Nail Yakupov, RW, Sarnia Sting, OHL
2 - Mikhail Grigorenko, C, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ
3 - Mathew Dumba, D, Red Deer Rebels, WHL
4 - Ryan Murray, D, Everett Silvertips, WHL
5 - Alex Galchenyuk, C, Sarnia Sting, OHL
6 - Zemgus Girgensons, F, Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL
7 - Morgan Rielly, D, Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL
8 - Sebastian Collberg, RW, Frölunda HC, SuperElit, Sweden
9 - Filip Forsberg, RW, Leksands IF, SuperElit, Sweden
10 - Charles Hudon, LW, Chicoutimi Saguenéens, LHJMQ
11 - Nicolas Kerdiles, F, USA NTDP
12 - Coda Gordon, LW, Swift Current Broncos, WHL
13 - Damon Severson, D, Kelowna Rockets, WHL

14 - Cody Ceci, D, Ottawa 67's OHL
15 - Olli Määttä, D, London Knights, OHL
16 - Martin Frk, RW, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ
17 - Phil Di Giuseppe, F, Michigan Wolverines, CCHA
18 - Jordan Schmaltz, D, Green Bay Gamblers, USHL
19 - Griffin Reinhart, D, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
20 - Brendan Gaunce, C, Belleville Bulls, OHL
21 - Stefan Matteau, F, USA NTDP
22 - Derrick Pouliot, D, Portland Winterhawks, WHL
23 - Jacob Trouba D, USA NTDP
24 - Nick Ebert, D, Windsor Spitfires, OHL
25 - Dylan Blujus, D, Brampton Battalion, OHL
26 - Jake McCabe, D, Wisconsin Badgers, WCHA
27 - Michael Matheson, D, Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL
28 - Matt Finn, D, Guelph Storm, OHL
29 - Slater Koekkoek, D, Peterborough Petes, OHL
30 - Tomáš Hertl, C, HC Slavia Praha, Tipsport Extraliga, Czech Republic
31 - Teuvo Teräväinen, RW, Jokerit, Jr. A SM-liiga, Finland
32 - Nikolai Prokhorkin, RW, CSKA Moscow, KHL, Russia
33 - Scott Kosmachuk, RW, Guelph Storm, OHL
34 - Gemel Smith, C, Owen Sound Attack, OHL
35 - Marek Langhamer, G, HC Pardubice, Mládež, Czech Republic
35 - Colton Sissons, RW, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
36 - Tom Wilson, RW, Plymouth Whalers, OHL
37 - Pontus Åberg, Djurgårdens IF, Elitserien, Sweden
38 - Radek Faksa, C, Kitchener Rangers, OHL
39 - Brian Cooper, D, Fargo Force, USHL
40 - Oscar Dansk, G, Brynäs IF, SuperElit, Sweden
41 - Austin Cangelosi, F, Youngstown Phantoms, USHL
42 - Austin Farley, C, Fargo Force, USHL
43 - Jon Gillies, G, Indianna Ice, USHL
44 - Patrik Machac, C, Brampton Battalion, OHL
45- Anton Slepyshev, LW, Metallurg Magnitogorsk. KHL, Russia
46 - Max Iafrate, Kitchener Rangers, OHL
47 - Jesse Graham, D, Niagara IceDogs, OHL
48 - Adam Pelech, Erie Otters, OHL
49 - Mike Winther. C, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
50 - Michael Clarke, C, Windsor Spitfires, OHL
51 - Dylan Gareau, C, Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, USHL
52 - Ludvig Nilsson, C, Timrå IK, SuperElit, Sweden
53 - Malcolm Subban, G, Belleville, Bulls, OHL
54 - Andrei Vasilievski, G, Tolpar Ufa, MHL, Russia
55 - François Tremblay, G, Val d'Or Foreurs, LHJMQ
56 - Ludvig Byström, D, MODO Hockey, SuperElit, Sweden
57 - Jarrod Maidens, C, Owen Sound Attack, OHL
58 - Henrik Samuelsson, RW, MODO Hockey, Elitserien, Sweden

59 - Raphaël Bussières, LW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar, LHJMQ
60 - Matia Marcantuoni, Kitchener Rangers, OHL

Nice work Mathletic, since theres no hockey tonight you may feel like providing insight on the list.

Picks 10-13, never seen any of these guys this high on any list. I read your reasoning about Hudon...I like him too, definitely not at 10 though.

Hertl - haven't seen him play, have you? who does he compare to in the NHL? Any info on this guy would be greatly appreciated.

Maidens doesnt seem like a top 30 pick to me, but he is often there....I think teams will like him enough (a la Danault from last year) to take him there though. Why 57th....overall talent?

Interesting to see Samuelsson go from top 5 in RLR to almost 3rd round material. I have no gauge on this guy, predigree alone probably gets him drafted in the top 40 though dont ya think?

Any insight would be great. Cheers.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Nice work Mathletic, since theres no hockey tonight you may feel like providing insight on the list.

Picks 10-13, never seen any of these guys this high on any list. I read your reasoning about Hudon...I like him too, definitely not at 10 though.

Hertl - haven't seen him play, have you? who does he compare to in the NHL? Any info on this guy would be greatly appreciated.

Maidens doesnt seem like a top 30 pick to me, but he is often there....I think teams will like him enough (a la Danault from last year) to take him there though. Why 57th....overall talent?

Interesting to see Samuelsson go from top 5 in RLR to almost 3rd round material. I have no gauge on this guy, predigree alone probably gets him drafted in the top 40 though dont ya think?

Any insight would be great. Cheers.

Thanks for taking time to read, I'll answer as best I can.

It may be a bit too bold statement for Hudon but I'm getting a Jordan Eberle vibe from the kid. Both small, not great skaters. Hudon scored a big goal for Québec at the U17 last year. Statiscially, he's basically creating the same value offensively through his first 2 QMJHL seasons as Eberle in the WHL. Defensively he's done very well also. He led his team at +26 last year and it's not because he was on the ice for many more goals than his teammate. This year at +11, he's leading his team again by a fair margin.

The cons are size obsiouly. But then again, I'v mentioned a few times that I'm finding very little if any correlation between size and projection to the NHL. Scoring, defensive and physical play are most important and he does well in all categories. For me, he's a "can't miss" guy. Very likely to play in the NHL and contribute at a good level. IMO he's superior to Desharnais at the same age.

Kerdiles is projecting as a high scoring forward this year. I may have him a bit higher than his true worth. However, I think there's good value in picking him early. You may pass on say Reinhart early in the draft and still get a good D in Blujus in the 2nd or 3rd round because of the depth at the defense position this year. So far he's comparing well to guys like Saad and Zucker who have gone on to have good success in higher leagues.

Coda Gordon had a great start to the year. I believe he missed some games lately. What I like most about him his is age though. Very young player, so I'd rather compare his 2011-2012 season to most other players' 2010-2011 season. Looks like a good player overall. Scores goals, gets assists, doing well defensively and physical enough. Again, same comment for Hudon and Kerdiles. Good value in picking an offensive player earlier this year because of the depth at the defense position.

I like Severson a lot so far. You touched on his age in a different comparing him to Weber in that aspect, and it's true. Younger players improve more than older ones. He's turned on the offense this year while maintaining a good level of defensive play.

Honestly, never seen Tomáš Hertl as I'm a stats guy. That being said. It doesn't look like he has Frk type of potential but looks very likely to play in the NHL. He's among the good scorers in the Czech Extraliga. In fact, he's pretty much outplayed all Czech junior players in recent years. He's done well defensively ever since I'v tracked him in the U20 league. So, probably not high potential but very likely to play in the league. May turn out as a Plekanec type ... numbers wise ...

Never seen Maidens play but he's probably very fun to watch ... wrong, I've seen Owen Sound play but never noticed him I guess :S ... I don't see him picked early either. He's never shown constant contribution offensively. Unless somebody truly falls in love with him I don't see Maidens getting picked before 3-4 rounds. I put him in my rankings simply to show that I'm not a believer.

Maidens is a different cat than Danault. Danault was drafted high for his defensive play. He had a good defensive rating and his PK work can be noticed through the n' of goals he scored SH. I don't think Maidens can play defensively to that level ... edit: oh well, after reading on Maidens I see he's projected as a 2-way guy. So, I'm not finding evidence he projects well in that role unlike Danault.

Samuelsson is a bit different. I probably should have had him higher on the list, Wilson to Machac range, since he'll likely make the NHL as a grinder. I like guys like Gemel Smith and Tom Wilson though in that role. From my understading Samuelsson is basically this year's Tyler Biggs. Not particularly gifted offensively but he'll do what it takes to help his teammates out.

Last edited:

insider

Nov 14, 2003
What do you see in Blujus that has him that high? You cite defense as the reason SK fell; but Blujus is no where near SK in defensive ability IMO.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Filip Forsberg at #9 is way too low. He could be the 2nd best player in the entire draft and legitimately challenge Yakupov with a huge WJC for #1. This kid sounds like a beast and is almost universally ranked in the top 5 by most rankings.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
What do you see in Blujus that has him that high? You cite defense as the reason SK fell; but Blujus is no where near SK in defensive ability IMO.

Obviously I judge from a statistical point of view. I won't go into details as to how I calculated defensive ratings but overall Blujus has tested better. It needs to be said that my last rating of Blujus was of 6 or 7 games ago, since then Brampton got smoked a few times, so it may change next time I download the latest data. Also, Blujus plays in a better system than Koekkoek. Altough it's not a player's ability to play in a good system. These players typically project better than players who play in poor defensive systems.

Filip Forsberg at #9 is way too low. He could be the 2nd best player in the entire draft and legitimately challenge Yakupov with a huge WJC for #1. This kid sounds like a beast and is almost universally ranked in the top 5 by most rankings.

Then again, 9 isn't too bad. Forsberg is not off to a great start and to me, Collberg had a better season last year and is off to a better start again this year. So, to me it's more a case that people ahead of him are stepping up their game ... except for Galchenyuk ...

He may end up with a great WC but then again, I don't value tournaments so much. I think it leads to people overrating prospects more than anything else. I doubt he ever comes close to challenge Yakupov. Nail is kicking on all cylinders and I don't see Forsberg catching up at all.

As you may have noticed, I base my opinion on my own data, not so much the input of other people, no disrespect. That said, it doesn't take anything away from Forsberg. Being ranked n'9 is still pretty good in my estimate.

... also, forgot to add in Andreas Athanasiou. I would have him somewhere in the 45-60 range at the moment.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad