Mathieu Perreault

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A 6th round pick (177th overall) by the Capitals in the '06 draft, Perreault currently leads the Q in scoring with 21 G - 33 A - 54 Pts. in 25 games with Acadie-Bathurst.

His size (5'9", 155 lbs.) looks to have dampened his stock last summer, but he's already netted more points than he had in all of last year.

I've read comparisons to Patrice Bergeron but is this due to Bergeron having simply been the most recent big star from Acadie-Bathurst or are their respective styles that similar?

Ipousse Lapuck

Oct 9, 2006
Montreal
Hey I do the stats for the titans and we thought he would go in the top 3 rounds because he had really good playoffs and he's suited for the new NHL. He is dominating the Q' right now, tonight he had 4 passes and he did spectacular moves. He is insane with the puck, a great passer, really fast and smart. He is a complete player. Today the Titan'S owner said he was the best player he had on his team in 25 years (cough, cough, Lemieux). It was exagerated but he's really good. I heard compasions with Brassard and said he has the potential to be a Koivu/Briere of player and also heard he was a steal like Bergeron. It might be exagerated but he is still a great player. He'll probably form a line with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hey I do the stats for the titans and we thought he would go in the top 3 rounds because he had really good playoffs and he's suited for the new NHL. He is dominating the Q' right now, tonight he had 4 passes and he did spectacular moves. He is insane with the puck, a great passer, really fast and smart. He is a complete player. Today the Titan'S owner said he was the best player he had on his team in 25 years (cough, cough, Lemieux). It was exagerated but he's really good. I heard compasions with Brassard and said he has the potential to be a Koivu/Briere of player and also heard he was a steal like Bergeron. It might be exagerated but he is still a great player. He'll probably form a line with Ovechkin and Backstrom.
Thanks for the info.

The Caps are fairly short up the middle, so if he pans out he would likely end up centering Semin and Fehr on the Caps' second line. He's also good on face-offs and on the PK, no?

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Bouchard is also tearing it up. I'm liking this draft a lot so far for the Caps. But back to Perrault, who is he passing to? Who is his winger?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bouchard is also tearing it up. I'm liking this draft a lot so far for the Caps. But back to Perrault, who is he passing to? Who is his winger?
His main linemate is Thomas Beauregard. He's 20, undrafted and has played for Acadie-Bathurst since 2002. He currently leads the league with 35 goals.

After a bad knee injury two years ago, he came back last year to pot 46 goals.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Nice. Any idea why he went undrafted? Potential free agent?
Flaws apparent in his play when seen by scouts? I don't really know.

There are a bunch of guys who light up the Q yet never sniff much interest from NHL teams. Even the highly-heralded, drafted players from the Q often have a hard time transitioning to the AHL and/or the NHL, so it's far from a given that Perreault will be the Caps' second line center of the future.

Still, it's hard not to like what he's showing at the moment...particularly as a late round pick.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Perhaps some Bathurst fans can jump in here, but I think the stats are helped by playing both St John teams so much. I brought up this point on the Habs board about Perreault's teammate, Mathieu Carle who leads the Q in scoring for defensemen. But I don't get to see Bathurst play all that much, so if someone wants to add more or offer a different opinion, please do so. I'm not saying the sole reason these guys are putting up sick numbers is due to playing SJ's but I got to think it helps.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Perhaps some Bathurst fans can jump in here, but I think the stats are helped by playing both St John teams so much. I brought up this point on the Habs board about Perreault's teammate, Mathieu Carle who leads the Q in scoring for defensemen. But I don't get to see Bathurst play all that much, so if someone wants to add more or offer a different opinion, please do so. I'm not saying the sole reason these guys are putting up sick numbers is due to playing SJ's but I got to think it helps.
That's a good point

Looking over Perreault's stats, 27 of his 58 points come from games against those two over eight games. Take out those games and Perreault has 31 points in 18 games. That'd still put him in the top 30 in scoring but those eight games factor in a great deal to his numbers.

Similarly, 11 of Beauregard's 35 goals and 10 of Carle's 35 points came against the SJs. (It's actually been less of a factor in Carle's case.)

8 of Bathurst's first 26 games have been against one or the other. 8 of the remaining 44 games in their regular season schedule are against one of the two SJs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's a good point

Looking over Perreault's stats, 27 of his 58 points come from games against those two over eight games. Take out those games and Perreault has 31 points in 18 games. That'd still put him in the top 30 in scoring but those eight games factor in a great deal to his numbers.

Similarly, 11 of Beauregard's 35 goals and 10 of Carle's 35 points came against the SJs. (It's actually been less of a factor in Carle's case.)

8 of Bathurst's first 26 games have been against one or the other. 8 of the remaining 44 games in their regular season schedule are against one of the two SJs.

thanks for looking up the stats, that's interesting to see.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
I wonder what people would answer to Giroux or Bouchard playing more often teams like Rimouski who are cellar dwellers now and for the season to come....
Arguments like that can be made for every player on every team...there are weaker teams in all Divisions in all Leagues and St-John's and Saint-John are playing much better than Rimouski for example.¸
And how about Drummond who just lost 7 in a row and Shawinigan who are on a 6 games losing streak in the Western Division?

Nothing of what is posted above can undermine what Perreault has been doing this season...he is simply amazing.
Since 1998, the Titan had players such as Jonathan Girard, Roberto Luongo, Mathieu Benoit, Ramzi Abid, Patrice Bergeron and I find Perreault the most exciting and skilled of them all.
Will his size allow him a NHL career? Why not!

He is exactly the type of new NHL player.
If some people think that he is fragile or shy in the traffic, check twice because he is gritty and very gutsy for his size and will not back down.

John Chabot compared him to Denis Savard yesterday and I believe that he is right on target with that comparison.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
John Chabot compared him to Denis Savard yesterday and I believe that he is right on target with that comparison.

Wow. :yo:

If the kid can be a #2 center in the NHL then the Caps are in great shape with he and Backstrom.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wow. :yo:

If the kid can be a #2 center in the NHL then the Caps are in great shape with he and Backstrom.
Yep, and (assuming he re-signs) he'd provide the depth necessary for Zubrus to switch from C to RW.

Chsb - I don't think Perreault's early season success is any less remarkable but he's going to have to show that he can be as equally dominant against better opposition. Comparisons to Savard is a damned high bar to set.

As a Caps fan, you've got to like the potential he's shown as a good all around player. Proficient on the PK, leading the league in short-handed goals, leading in +/-, and near the top in face-off winning %. I'd like to see more clips of him but what I've seen has shown a determined player that doesn't play small.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Yep, and (assuming he re-signs) he'd provide the depth necessary for Zubrus to switch from C to RW.

Chsb - I don't think Perreault's early season success is any less remarkable but he's going to have to show that he can be as equally dominant against better opposition. Comparisons to Savard is a damned high bar to set.

As a Caps fan, you've got to like the potential he's shown as a good all around player. Proficient on the PK, leading the league in short-handed goals, leading in +/-, and near the top in face-off winning %. I'd like to see more clips of him but what I've seen has shown a determined player that doesn't play small.

In the playoffs last season, Perreault and the Titan faced Cape-Breton, PEI and Québec.
All along Perreault at 17 was the first line centerman and led the team in scoring with 21 points in 17 games ahead of another high touted 17 YO,Giroux, who had 19 points in 17 games.
For one I believe right there that he could raise his play when needed...
Now we are talking about a guys who has 17 points in the last 5 games......
I don't know what else to tell you....

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Perrault is probably 3 or 4 years away from being the second line center, if he even beats out Bouchard for that honor. He's doing great right now, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves here. He's still only 155 pounds. But yes, Perrault is one of the many reasons why I am liking this past draft a lot. It seems like a lot of currently good teams had a good 2003 draft. I feel like this could be our "2003"

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Perrault is probably 3 or 4 years away from being the second line center, if he even beats out Bouchard for that honor. He's doing great right now, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves here. He's still only 155 pounds. But yes, Perrault is one of the many reasons why I am liking this past draft a lot. It seems like a lot of currently good teams had a good 2003 draft. I feel like this could be our "2003"

One department where Perreault beats Bouchard...it is in the consistency department....

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I agree, of course. There's still lots that needs to occur in his development to be able to transition into the NHL. The Caps' '06 selections were uncharacteristically good from the third round on (at least based on early indications). Rather un-McPheeish.

If Perreault pans out he'd be the last late round Caps pick to go on to be a decent NHLer since Zednik, a 10th round pick in '94.

(Btw, Bouchard plays RW.)

Ipousse Lapuck

Oct 9, 2006
Montreal
I seen him all day long at a social event at my school and he looked maybe my height (5 feet 10) but he doesn't seems big enough for te nhl, he would need to had at least 25 pounds (he is 155) to be ready. He is actually good on the faceoffs and on the pk he is good just because he takes the puck and keep it like 20 seconds lol (he is hot a defencise player though) he plays intense and during all the day we played hockey and badminton, seems like a nice guy and I heard he is pretty serious too lol (since Bathurst is pretty small the Titans players know a lot of peoples around) And for Carle, he is really fast and has a good hockey senc and is good with the puck but he is more offence minded he got too deep in the offensive zone and was lucky to catch back the play (he relies on his speed a lot in his defensive game)
I think Perreault could be in the NHL next year if he keeps up and add muscle but at this pont it's hard to say...

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Since the Titan have been in Bathurst in 1999, no player has drawn as much conversation as Perreault, and no one has filled more seats. Including Patrice Bergeron, Bruno Gervais, Francois Beauchemin and Roberto Luongo. (OK, Luongo is very close).

To quote the Sportsnet announcer, the kid is dynamite.

As far as the St John(s) games are concerned, say what you will, St John has a good defense and a solid goalie... their offense is their achilles... it's more like a crotch, as one they are hit, they ain't getting up. But no problems on D.

Also, an above average team like Shawinigan was completely dominated by Perreault this saturday. And the Russians arn't bad as well.

I ain't afraid to say it, he's the most talented player in the Q by far. Move over Claude Giroux, you ain't even close!

Whether or not the NHL is in his cards, we will find out sooner or later. I'm just glad he's small, as we might get to keep him here an extra year because of it.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Since the Titan have been in Bathurst in 1999, no player has drawn as much conversation as Perreault, and no one has filled more seats. Including Patrice Bergeron, Bruno Gervais, Francois Beauchemin and Roberto Luongo. (OK, Luongo is very close).

To quote the Sportsnet announcer, the kid is dynamite.

As far as the St John(s) games are concerned, say what you will, St John has a good defense and a solid goalie... their offense is their achilles... it's more like a crotch, as one they are hit, they ain't getting up. But no problems on D.

Also, an above average team like Shawinigan was completely dominated by Perreault this saturday. And the Russians arn't bad as well.

I ain't afraid to say it, he's the most talented player in the Q by far. Move over Claude Giroux, you ain't even close!

Whether or not the NHL is in his cards, we will find out sooner or later. I'm just glad he's small, as we might get to keep him here an extra year because of it.

Well! at the ADT Challenge tonight against the Russians, he scored twice, had one assist and was selected the player of the game.
Also he was very impressive on the PK.

canadian_man_44

Oct 31, 2006
Moncton, NB, Canada

Actually the hardest games to win are the ones against the St. John and St. Johns teams. They always seem to play extra hard against the Titan. Perreaults numbers are purely a result of hard work, speed and extremely good skills. This guy is the real deal. Although he probably needs to put on a little weight before he makes his NHL debute, he certainly has what it takes to become a great player in the new NHL.

Along with that we can't forget his linemate, Thomas Beauregard. Beau currently leads the league with 78 points in 37 games. He wasn't drafted in his draft year and IMO would be a great steal for any team. He also is fast, hardworking and has good stickhandling skills but has a little more size than Perreault. I'd love to see my Habs grab him for sure.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Actually the hardest games to win are the ones against the St. John and St. Johns teams. They always seem to play extra hard against the Titan. Perreaults numbers are purely a result of hard work, speed and extremely good skills. This guy is the real deal. Although he probably needs to put on a little weight before he makes his NHL debute, he certainly has what it takes to become a great player in the new NHL.

Along with that we can't forget his linemate, Thomas Beauregard. Beau currently leads the league with 78 points in 37 games. He wasn't drafted in his draft year and IMO would be a great steal for any team. He also is fast, hardworking and has good stickhandling skills but has a little more size than Perreault. I'd love to see my Habs grab him for sure.

I watched some of the game against STJ the other day. Between the 2 teams, Bathurst has won 9 of 10 by a combined score of 52-27. Their PP is very good. Carle moves it around well and both Perreault and Beauregard have impressive hands.

As for Beauregard, I know he was invited to camp over the summer, forget what nhl team. For sure he will get some attention this summer for AHL action next year. I am interested to see what happens with Patrick Bordeleau who I would perhaps consider inviting to Hamilton's camp next year more for a spot in the ECHL. I also like Martin Bartos, thought he would of been drafted last year, perhaps he will get picked this year.

Ipousse Lapuck

Oct 9, 2006
Montreal
I see him play really often and I don't see any flaws in his game he is really fast, has a good shot, crazy hands, he is pretty strong for his size, is good in the 3 zones and he gives his 100 percent every game. I don't know why he didn't made the WJC team and Marchant did it :dunno:... If you have more specific questions ask me...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->