Mathew "The new Brian Rafalski" Maione?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by alko, Oct 31, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. alko

alko Registered User

Home Page:
    Mathew Maione is really interesting player. He is now the 2. most productive player in KHL. 27 points in 23 games. And that in a team, that could be hardly considered as a KHL top team.
    He has also a interesting past achievements:
    2015-2016: ECHL Defenseman of the Year and ECHL Most Points by Defenseman (54)
    2016-2017: Slovakian Extraliga Most Points by Defenseman (57), what actually means a Defenseman of the Year (with some offensive records for D)
    2017-2018: SM-liiga Most Entertaining Player and SM-liiga Most Points by Defenseman (39)

When he will end this season in KHL Top 10, will some NHL team offer him a contract? And coul he eventually make similar career as Brian Rafalski did?

2. aonb

aonb Registered User

guy is legit. but wait few months more. now he is 2nd best offensive D in khl, i only rank hersley above him

3. Kevs Security

Kevs Security aka InmateMack, ultimate NHL insider

Corporate security fella!
    Success in euro leagues doesn't always translate... Rafalski is a rare case, not the usual path to greatness.

4. 4uston Matthews

4uston Matthews "We can, and we will." - Biggest lie of 2018

NHL teams target european players with a lot worse numbers than he has. Has to be something about his game that's very unattractive.

AgentBrodeur likes this.
  5. jornija bommer

jornija bommer Registered User

Last season he wasn't very good in first 20 games. Then KalPa got Ryan Wilson to his defensive partner to do the defending thing and Maione just exploded and went like almost ppg last 40 games. In reality he wasn't even KalPa's best dman (Riikola was).

6. jornija bommer

jornija bommer Registered User

I'm not sure if thats a good thing when you're suppose to be a dman. If he didn't score two points he turned puck over 15 times and lost the game by himself

But if 36 yo Chris Lee got try out after his 65 pts season then Maione should too. I mean Joonas Lyytinen got drafted by Nashville and his upside is propably last years Maione.

7. ES

ES Registered User

That award is based on fan voting and so far it has been awarded three times and quite different players

2016 Ari Vallin - I would say this was much more for his off-ice personality than what happened inside the rink. He was decent all-around defenseman. Nowadays colour commentator.

2017 Joe Finley - Some on this board pretty much know this player - hard-hitting defenseman who is also involved in fights sometimes. Played (and still plays) for team with largest fanbase in Finnish league.

2018 Maione - attacking defenseman who sometimes causes trouble in his own end. Probably his look gave him few votes as well:

[​IMG]

8. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

He is a one-man team there. Everything has to revolve around him on a bad team. That inflates numbers. On any of the powerhouses he'd get less minutes and points. His defensive play may not be an issue to Riga, but I doubt he can just like that convince NHL teams.

9. Dexter Colt

Dexter Colt Registered User

I concur. For every Rafalski, there's plenty of Kevin Dallmans.

10. SaekkiPaelli

SaekkiPaelli Registered User

No way he will be a Rafalski, recently saw a game live, and he looked really bad. I actually don't even understand how he has that many points. Bad on the PP and even worse in his own end. I don't think he'll sniff the NHL. The one thing that was impressive were his calves, they were literally treetrunks.

11. alko

alko Registered User

Home Page:
    That was maybe only a bad day. Every player has such. Also McDavid. ;)

12. BillNy

BillNy Registered User

Eh, most of the guys who put up particularly strong numbers in other leagues who didn't in the NHL just sorta never got real ice time.

I kinda feel like the time in history where teams most overrated size, or like, "looking like a hockey player" or whatever was the 1990s. Have had a theory for a while that Martin St. Louis, Tim Thomas, Brian Rafalski, and I feel like I had others that aren't coming out of my fingers right now, weren't really late bloomers, just underappreciated. St. Louis had incredible college/AHL numbers. Tim Thomas had mostly very good pre-NHL numbers with a few dips the way all goalies have dips. Rafalski (who I honestly think makes the HOF if he starts his NHL career at 21-22 instead of 26) had great numbers before the NHL. He's not on the level of the others, but Glen Metropolit's NHL numbers look a lot better (and his outside-NHL numbers were fantastic) if you were there and remember he never really got meaningful icetime. Those four players were all born in a 22 month span. Actually, Thomas and St. Louis were on the same University of Vermont team. Also wonder if being college players were undervalued. Metropolit didn't go to college, but the rest did. Would have to look at the rest of the college players of the era, but I'm curious.

smitty10 likes this.
  13. ijuka

ijuka Registered User

Mayonnaise Matt just is awesome. In the thread some time ago, while most people had Gusev as the best player outside of NHL, I take Maione every time. Guy just takes games over and makes plays no one else would dare to try. Yeah sure, he probably requires a steady partner who can make up for his mistakes but it's hard to imagine someone else in KHL having the potential to have an impact like Maione does.

Guy's had a great trajectory and he's not even that old. D-men sometimes take longer to develop and especially a guy with such a crazy style might have required some time to be able to balance everything right. He finishes the season like this and I'm sure someone will give him an NHL tryout if not offering him a contract outright. Dynamo Riga is no SKA either.

14. izzy

izzy go

his career path is ****ing wild seriously

if he makes the nhl just wtf

9 points in his last yeah in jrs, echler through early to mid 20s and now hes killing the khl. move over derek ryan

smitty10 likes this.
  15. alko

alko Registered User

Home Page:
    Most votes for KHL All-Star games - 2536. Beat also the Russian superstars. Now with 27 points in 25 games.

16. DominicBoltsFan

DominicBoltsFan Advanced stats are good!

High school student
    Please let it actually happen

17. Nordiques1979

Nordiques1979 Registered User

Rafalski is an exception. Auvitu was leading LIIGA and last two seasons before going back in Europe, Chris Lee was dominant in KHL, but never even try to make the jump to NHL. Ryan Gunderson was one of the best dman in Europe, both in KHL and SHL, never had the chance to try or even being invited to NHL camps.

18. Axel574

Axel574 Registered User

That dude is way too hairy... I wouldn't want him on my team clogging up all the drains in the locker room, pubes all over the damn toilet seats, foot long hairs on my clean sweater. He can stay in the KHL comrades.