Injury Report: Mathew Dumba - Returns Tonight vs. CHI

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You obviously mis-read my post... I didn't say WE should... I said Vegas would.

I want Mikko to retire with the Wild, and IMO if we ask him to waive at this point, he'd be taken in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Asking your captain - a player who has been incredibly important to this franchise even to this day - to waive his NTC just won't happen. No point on "what ifs" or "we should ask him to waive". It's just not happening.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Agreed. Asking your captain - a player who has been incredibly important to this franchise even to this day - to waive his NTC just won't happen. No point on "what ifs" or "we should ask him to waive". It's just not happening.

Yep. It's a futile conversation. Will never happen, end of story.

It is Wild World

Dec 28, 2016
Somalia
7 goals for Dumba already. I think his career high was 9. He didn't start out well, but he has been scoring as often as some of our forwards.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Funny thing with offensive defensemen is that their gaffes seem a lot less bad when they're contributing regularly on the score sheet. I mean, Scandella had some real rough plays last night... I'd wager Dumba did too, but I don't remember them because he scored, you know?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Remember when CF offered Dumba straight up for RNH? And EDM fans screamed robbery? RNH has 1 more goal, same number of assists. Oh and that "great two way game" that he's been working on that is in no way statistically evident has lead him to a -12 which is the worst on the team by a healthy margin.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
We cannot allow Dumba to go to Vegas. He is still raw defensively, but I'm starting to believe this kid has star potential. It also sure nice having that RH shot on the PP....such a weapon.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
We cannot allow Dumba to go to Vegas. He is still raw defensively, but I'm starting to believe this kid has star potential. It also sure nice having that RH shot on the PP....such a weapon.

The list of players we cannot allow to go to Vegas just keeps growing. 10 players just isn't an adequate number to protect.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The list of players we cannot allow to go to Vegas just keeps growing. 10 players just isn't an adequate number to protect.

If it comes down to choosing one or the other, I'm at the point where I might keep Dumba over Brodin. As others have said, replacing Brodin's skill set would be easier than replacing Dumba's.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Funny thing with offensive defensemen is that their gaffes seem a lot less bad when they're contributing regularly on the score sheet. I mean, Scandella had some real rough plays last night... I'd wager Dumba did too, but I don't remember them because he scored, you know?

The last couple of games Dumba has made a couple of high risk plays in the neutral zone that could have ended badly. He made the play though, so harm no foul, right?

Dumba is showing more hockey IQ this year. The boneheaded plays are still there, but his decision making is getting better. He's a shoot first guy, but now he's at least looking if there is a better option.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
I have always thought that both Dumba and Brodin have the talent and potential to carry our D for years. I don´t want to lose either of them.
I don't give Spurgeon enough credit but Brodin(23) and Dumba(22) are so young we should hold on to them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I guess we could say that it's a nice problem to have, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

It does seem like Brodin and Dumba have more upside to their game, while Spurgeon has reached his, but he is playing SO well. Next thing you know Scandella will find his game, making matters more confusing.

Again, I don't envy Fletcher because any move that he makes will leave him open to 2nd guessing, but I think he will have to make a deal directly before the X draft. The unexpected progression in our forward prospect pool has given him the freedom to pick the best non expansion draft eligible prospect available- BNEDEPA- though i think that now we need a Dman if we are going lose two of our top 5. Even Folin isn't a guarantee to come back. What if he gets greedy and wants a Stoner type contract?

I sure hope Reilly and Olofsson are quietly developing into NHL ready Dmen down in Iowa.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What would it take to have Vegas take Scandella? That is what we need to be targeting.

We just present them with what we have to offer (i.e. Haula, + maybe a 2nd or 3rd, or a prospect like Olofsson/Reilly, though that might be a bit too much). As long as we can convince LV that we are prepared to trade Dumba/Brodin/Spurgeon to another team for assets they can't touch, it's sort of a no brainer to take our deal.

Do you think they would rather have Scandella, or Scandella + Haula + 3rd? Kind of an easy answer, no?

Zucker can also be on the table, but if he keeps playing the way he is, I hope Poms can be convinced to waive his NTC so that Zucker can be protected. If LV is really hot for Zucker, then we'll leave him unprotected, but frankly, taking into account salary, I think I'd rather lose Scandella. Do not want to lose Zucker and Haula. That's a lot of team speed gone.

There is no doubt that LV can be accumulating a lot of assets.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As a GM, you'd have to consider Brodin and Dumba untouchable, at least I would. Whatever it takes.

But you can't let Spurgeon walk! Earlier in the year I was Ok with Dumba walking- not liking it, but accepting it-but now I refuse to let any of those three just walk away. Either LV takes our deal our we trade on of those three for assets somewhere else. With Dumba only making 2.5M we are likely to keep him around, unless he starts pooping the bed again defensively.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
But you can't let Spurgeon walk! Earlier in the year I was Ok with Dumba walking- not liking it, but accepting it-but now I refuse to let any of those three just walk away. Either LV takes our deal our we trade on of those three for assets somewhere else. With Dumba only making 2.5M we are likely to keep him around, unless he starts pooping the bed again defensively.

Dumba with confidence = brilliant. He ain't going nowhere.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba with confidence = brilliant. He ain't going nowhere.

I'm not worried about him being brilliant. He's got that covered. I just want him to be steady when he isn't being brilliant.

He's doing OK in that regard. Again, it's a nice problem to have. I'm sure that GMCF has figured out a way for us to keep him, and Brodin, and Spurgeon...right...right?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think they're going to take Zucker. It just makes sense. Zucker is definitely helping us by putting up a really good season. I'm okay with losing him when we have Kaprizov coming soon.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
But we don't want to lose Zucker. We want to lose a bigger salary, so we can re- sign Nino and Granlund.

Though I guess we can always trade a Dman during the summer, if need be.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
But we don't want to lose Zucker. We want to lose a bigger salary, so we can re- sign Nino and Granlund.

Though I guess we can always trade a Dman during the summer, if need be.

Ah true, but then Zucker is going to need an extension the next year. Dumba will need one as well. This team is in an tough spot right now, so yeah they might need to lose someone like Scandella. If it's between Dumba or Scandella, you have to do everything to keep Dumba.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ah true, but then Zucker is going to need an extension the next year. Dumba will need one as well. This team is in an tough spot right now, so yeah they might need to lose someone like Scandella. If it's between Dumba or Scandella, you have to do everything to keep Dumba.

Salary starts to get better after next season ends. $2.5m in dead cap comes off the books, Koivu's contract comes off the books, Pommer buyout is a real option.

I do think the Wild need to lose ~$4m in cap for next year to re-sign Granny/Nino and the other RFA's.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Salary starts to get better after next season ends. $2.5m in dead cap comes off the books, Koivu's contract comes off the books, Pommer buyout is a real option.

I do think the Wild need to lose ~$4m in cap for next year to re-sign Granny/Nino and the other RFA's.

Agreed. Let's worry about Dumba and Zucker in the summer of 2018. We're good for now, and prefer not to lose them and their bang for the buck.

NMC's NFG.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba was just on a local radio station being interviewed, by Jordan Leopold, no less. The guy is insanely likeable. Involved promoting and donating to charities, full of life...great attitude, and very mature for a 22 yo.

Pretty easy to cheer for players like him.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, that's one of the major reasons I hate the idea of losing him. Obviously on ice performance is what it comes down to in the business but he's very much a 'glue' type guy who helps team chemistry. Seems like a guy who could be a captain someday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad