Newsday: Mathew Barzal, Islanders put John Tavares in the rearview mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Not sure if this is best spot for this comment, but listening to the Spittin Chiclets podcast this morning (if you guys haven't listened, its hilarious and great hockey podcast hosted by Ryan Whitney, Paul Bissonette and Rear Admiral from Barstool), the guest is JM Liles and they briefly talked about Liles skating with the group of NHLers in little pre-camp skates and stuff. Talked quickly about Crosby and Liles said no way he can keep up with the guys anymore since he's retired, but he brought up out of nowhere Barzal and said how amazing he is and his skating. Said he's never seen anyone skate like him and accelerate out of tight turns. Said Barzal is the real deal. Bissonette said he took them out after NHL awards to club and said Barzal was jumping all over the place partying from table to table....was only a quick conversation about Barzal, but definitely cool to hear these guys speak so highly of him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not sure if this is best spot for this comment, but listening to the Spittin Chiclets podcast this morning (if you guys haven't listened, its hilarious and great hockey podcast hosted by Ryan Whitney, Paul Bissonette and Rear Admiral from Barstool), the guest is JM Liles and they briefly talked about Liles skating with the group of NHLers in little pre-camp skates and stuff. Talked quickly about Crosby and Liles said no way he can keep up with the guys anymore since he's retired, but he brought up out of nowhere Barzal and said how amazing he is and his skating. Said he's never seen anyone skate like him and accelerate out of tight turns. Said Barzal is the real deal. Bissonette said he took them out after NHL awards to club and said Barzal was jumping all over the place partying from table to table....was only a quick conversation about Barzal, but definitely cool to hear these guys speak so highly of him.

Sounds like Barzal's superior edgework and agility is serving him well at the bars as well. ;)

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's a bit refreshing to see some personality from our franchise player. He's shown more of it in one season than Judas and his robot personality did in a decade.
I've seen more interviews of Judas speak this summer than I can safely say in 8 years on the Island. Bland robot like responses is all I could think of. Almost reminded me of a Gilligan's Island episode when a Robot appeared. Who knows maybe it was Tray-Toor himself.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've seen more interviews of Judas speak this summer than I can safely say in 8 years on the Island. Bland robot like responses is all I could think of. Almost reminded me of a Gilligan's Island episode when a Robot appeared. Who knows maybe it was Tray-Toor himself.

Aaron Asham with the gift that keeps on giving. I will retire Judas and only use Tray-Toor from now on.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's a bit refreshing to see some personality from our franchise player. He's shown more of it in one season than Judas and his robot personality did in a decade.

Tavares' lack of emotion reminds me of a skit with Joan Rivers. After all her plastic surgery, the joke was she couldn't change her facial expressions. So she says something to the effect to the camera, "Am I smiling? I can't tell if I'm smiling". Reminds me of JT.

Media: "John, smile for the camera!"

Tavares: "I am smiling." -_-

Reactions: Konk and PWJunior

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO

Agreed, Barzal looks like he's just having fun and letting his emotions show a bit, but in a professional way which is good. The boys on the podcast did say that Barzal wasn't necessarily a party animal and that he's all about his nutrition and training, but he was having some fun!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Heard that this morning. Liles really came across impressed at Barzal's ability.

Reactions: Volek25

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The picture of a bunch of Islander players shotgunning beers and Tavares just sitting on a couch holding his beer was pretty telling. The rest of the boys were letting loose but he couldn't. All he does is cultivate his image. Probably has been the same way since he's been 15 years old. He's never done anything on impulse without thinking about the ramifications of what he's doing.

Reactions: mm11 and bigtim1988

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The picture of a bunch of Islander players shotgunning beers and Tavares just sitting on a couch holding his beer was pretty telling. The rest of the boys were letting loose but he couldn't. All he does is cultivate his image. Probably has been the same way since he's been 15 years old. He's never done anything on impulse without thinking about the ramifications of what he's doing.

I'd actually wondered what type of leader Tavares was with the Isles. I know he wasn't a rah-rah type, but I wonder how much he lead by example or tried to make other players feel like they're part of the team.

There's an article (linked below) about Crosby that just came out, detailing how as a leader, he's always the first to welcome new players or the first to make sure the kids who get called up from WBS feel at home and include them in team functions. I wonder if Tavares was similar.

Welcome to the team

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I'd actually wondered what type of leader Tavares was with the Isles. I know he wasn't a rah-rah type, but I wonder how much he lead by example or tried to make other players feel like they're part of the team.

There's an article (linked below) about Crosby that just came out, detailing how as a leader, he's always the first to welcome new players or the first to make sure the kids who get called up from WBS feel at home and include them in team functions. I wonder if Tavares was similar.

Welcome to the team

There was always reports of Tavares calling draft picks and newly signed free agents.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
There was always reports of Tavares calling draft picks and newly signed free agents.
"This is John Tavares, Captain of the team you have just joined. As part of my responsibilities as Captain, I am supposed to call new players and welcome them to the team that I captain. So welcome to the team, new player. Watch me and learn from my example of hard work in the gym and composure in all situations. But do not talk to me. Hanging up now."

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Welcome to the team

In that vein, I'm pretty sure Tavares was similar. I'll take any chance I have to disparage him but he always took obligations like that seriously. There was talk how he welcomed Dobson and Wahlstrom to the team even when he was on his way out (at the time we all thought he was staying).

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Lol you guys are great, do you spend six months ripping your ex girlfriend for everything after she dumped you...guess what you guys all had JT jerseys in your house...you all prayed he would stay...you lost two days of your summer staring at the internet to see if your man could stomach another five years on this sad franchise then he leaves....oh JT isn't even handsome...he's no fun...what a boring guy lol I'm guessing most of you are over 30 which makes it worse

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto

I thought that was really cool too and brought a smile to my face when I heard Liles randomly bring it up. Barzal is my favourite young player, my brother and I love him so much. You guys have an absolute stud in Barzal which should and will ease the pain of Tavares coming home. Please don’t screw it up with Barzal, he’s young enough to truly build around him with the right management in place!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lol you guys are great, do you spend six months ripping your ex girlfriend for everything after she dumped you...guess what you guys all had JT jerseys in your house...you all prayed he would stay...you lost two days of your summer staring at the internet to see if your man could stomach another five years on this sad franchise then he leaves....oh JT isn't even handsome...he's no fun...what a boring guy lol I'm guessing most of you are over 30 which makes it worse
Gosh, you're right. The universal human reaction to being wronged by someone is to just go on like nothing happened. I guess we're just oddballs - 29 and younger excluded of course, because... :huh:

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014

I don't judge Tavares the person. I think he's harmless, I don't think he's egotistical, but it can't be denied that he's a heavy personality; always serious. If Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, and Morgan Reilly are chugging beers, I think John Tavares would be doing the same thing he did in the Islanders photo. I wouldn't expect a great social experience with him. I don't like how he handled his free agent situation, but I don't think he's a bad person.

As for the player, there are several reasons why I won't miss him. In a league that keeps getting faster, he never was. He is, however, one of the league's strongest players on the puck, probably 2nd behind Sidney Crosby, but he has no wheels. His skating is so labored, and at the age of 28, it won't get better. Though, he was drafted in 2009, he was an old 2009 draftee, and that makes a difference because he's closer to 30 than most of those guys. To put it in perspective, when we signed Alexei Yashin to that mega deal in 2001, he was 27, almost 28, and I was wondering what the hell Milbury was thinking (and we all wonder that, often). True, Tavares isn't temperamental the way Yashin was, but Tavares is temperamental in a different way. Tavares works harder than Yashin did and, so far, he honors his contracts, but Tavares doesn't dominate game in and game out the way Yashin once did... when he was with Ottawa.

With their young stock of Matthews, Marner, and let's just say Reilly, Dubas and co. could learn that Tavares' contract is an albatross, which was one of my concerns about re-signing him. Our dead weight is dead weight, and should be fairly easy to dispose of, but Tavares, who's going to hit 30 in a little under two years, could be a player who other teams don't want because he's not fleet of foot and is becoming easier to strip the puck of. His reflexes won't quicken.

With the Islanders, it's not unreasonable to believe that, as early as this year, Barzal is feeding a trigger man like Bellows, especially on the power play, and racking up points. Next year it could be Bellows and Wahlstrom on Barzal's line who are firing pucks into the net almost at will. Maybe Jack Hughes is on the team next year, which is a reasonable possibility when considering that many expect the Islanders to miss the playoffs and the way the lottery works.

When listening to those who are concerned about the Leafs, their biggest concern is about the defense. Yes, we have defensive concerns also, but it appears that we have some answers back there. One of them is the coaching staff and the other is Devon Toews, who has been having an awesome camp thus far.

Yes, Barzal is better than Tavares. No, I don't hate Tavares, I just won't miss him, that's all.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
"This is John Tavares, Captain of the team you have just joined. As part of my responsibilities as Captain, I am supposed to call new players and welcome them to the team that I captain. So welcome to the team, new player. Watch me and learn from my example of hard work in the gym and composure in all situations. But do not talk to me. Hanging up now."

Haha, well done sir.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I don't judge Tavares the person. I think he's harmless, I don't think he's egotistical, but it can't be denied that he's a heavy personality; always serious. If Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, and Morgan Reilly are chugging beers, I think John Tavares would be doing the same thing he did in the Islanders photo. I wouldn't expect a great social experience with him. I don't like how he handled his free agent situation, but I don't think he's a bad person.

As for the player, there are several reasons why I won't miss him. In a league that keeps getting faster, he never was. He is, however, one of the league's strongest players on the puck, probably 2nd behind Sidney Crosby, but he has no wheels. His skating is so labored, and at the age of 28, it won't get better. Though, he was drafted in 2009, he was an old 2009 draftee, and that makes a difference because he's closer to 30 than most of those guys. To put it in perspective, when we signed Alexei Yashin to that mega deal in 2001, he was 27, almost 28, and I was wondering what the hell Milbury was thinking (and we all wonder that, often). True, Tavares isn't temperamental the way Yashin was, but Tavares is temperamental in a different way. Tavares works harder than Yashin did and, so far, he honors his contracts, but Tavares doesn't dominate game in and game out the way Yashin once did... when he was with Ottawa.

With their young stock of Matthews, Marner, and let's just say Reilly, Dubas and co. could learn that Tavares' contract is an albatross, which was one of my concerns about re-signing him. Our dead weight is dead weight, and should be fairly easy to dispose of, but Tavares, who's going to hit 30 in a little under two years, could be a player who other teams don't want because he's not fleet of foot and is becoming easier to strip the puck of. His reflexes won't quicken.

With the Islanders, it's not unreasonable to believe that, as early as this year, Barzal is feeding a trigger man like Bellows, especially on the power play, and racking up points. Next year it could be Bellows and Wahlstrom on Barzal's line who are firing pucks into the net almost at will. Maybe Jack Hughes is on the team next year, which is a reasonable possibility when considering that many expect the Islanders to miss the playoffs and the way the lottery works.

When listening to those who are concerned about the Leafs, their biggest concern is about the defense. Yes, we have defensive concerns also, but it appears that we have some answers back there. One of them is the coaching staff and the other is Devon Toews, who has been having an awesome camp thus far.

Yes, Barzal is better than Tavares. No, I don't hate Tavares, I just won't miss him, that's all.

Don't forget if JT signed here it would be at 2 to 3 million more a year than Toronto got him.for. sort of a tax for being a team that never wins playoff rounds. I also expect JT to be bouncing around the league later in his career before his contract is up. BILL TORREY would of moved him the week he hesitated to sign last summer. I know it was Malkins call but A GM with respect, and a track rrecord convinced clueless owners on what to do.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011

do you like being the one guy on this board that everyone unanimously cant stand? just curious.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Well you're just a barrell of laughs arent ya!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

They've spent a longer amount of time ripping you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad