Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Two podcast SPECULATION/RUMORS on this -

Spittin Chiclets with Elliotte Friedman: He believes that Barzal will get an offer sheet this summer. Friedman also hinted that Barzal wants to play more offensively than Trotz allows.

Isles Seat Podcast: BComp said that the negotiation will not be pretty, and will not be surprised if Mat is not present at the beginning of next season's training camp.

Again, take this as you will as both are stating their opinions on the situation.
Oh lovely. Just wonderful.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Paul Bissonnette on Chiclets has referenced a rift between Trotz and Barzal before and has alluded to the fact that he knows people in the organization or is connected to the situation in some way. He won't come out and say who his source is but it was around the time of the benching that he made a "see, I told you so" type of claim.

I wouldn't be shocked if there was some unhappiness, but we have no idea how much it'd impact negotiations. Is Barzal upset he can't play more offensively because that leads to more points, which leads to more dollars in his bank account or is it simply a hockey thing?

Chiclets Islanders' "source" is someone Paul has stated was his friend several times

Mr. Jack Capuano

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Paul Bissonnette on Chiclets has referenced a rift between Trotz and Barzal before and has alluded to the fact that he knows people in the organization or is connected to the situation in some way. He won't come out and say who his source is but it was around the time of the benching that he made a "see, I told you so" type of claim.

I wouldn't be shocked if there was some unhappiness, but we have no idea how much it'd impact negotiations. Is Barzal upset he can't play more offensively because that leads to more points, which leads to more dollars in his bank account or is it simply a hockey thing?

I think it very well could be Barzal himself. Biz had mentioned a few times hanging out with him in Vegas during the league awards when Mat won the Calder and also did an NHL Instagram/YouTube video with him. I'm pretty sure Biz has also said he has texted with him a few times.

Biz has also pulled the CYA card by saying "sorry Islander fans, I'm just stirring the pot" when he brings up the Trotz-Barzal beef. So who really knows...

The offensive frustration rumor sounds like the more points = more benjamins.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
his bargaining power is I will go sign an offer sheet to whatever deal i want and force Lou to match. He doesn’t even have to negotiate with Lou if he doesn’t want too.

I’m guessing 3 yrs at high avg. maybe in the 10 neighbourhood. 8-9 if he’s nice. I don’t think he signs anything for term. I’m not sure he wants to stay that long.
If he signs an offer sheet at 10 mil per year, you take the compensation and walk away. Sell off assets and just start over (again) He’s not worth 10 mil a year, even if he is the only star player on the team. You don’t play a 60-65 pt centerwith an outlier (for now at least until he does it a again) 85 pt season 2 years ago who can’t win a damn face off that kind of money

I dunno. Maybe I’m just cranky with this team doing f*** all lately. I thought we were finally taking the next step and it’s the same bullshit. But I thought that after the FL series, and the leaf series like almost 20 years ago too

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Obvious

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If he signs an offer sheet at 10 mil per year, you take the compensation and walk away. Sell off assets and just start over (again) He’s not worth 10 mil a year, even if he is the only star player on the team. You don’t play a 60-65 pt centerwith an outlier (for now at least until he does it a again) 85 pt season 2 years ago who can’t win a damn face off that kind of money

I dunno. Maybe I’m just cranky with this team doing f*** all lately. I thought we were finally taking the next step and it’s the same bullshit. But I thought that after the FL series, and the leaf series like almost 20 years ago too
I think that possibility depends to some degree on how we finish. If this free fall continues then everything is on the table, including Barzy. But, if somehow we manage to crawl out of the hole we're in and finish strong (and Barzy plays well-don't see any way we could crawl out if he isn't) then it becomes a tougher call.

From Barzy's perspective, and remembering myself at 22-23, I'd have to seriously consider any offer from another team that would allow me to play the game in a style that suits my talents more while not forgetting what I have learned under BT. And while I'm sure he's enjoyed his time on the island, I doubt very seriously that he is married to it to such a degree that he wouldn't consider a more high profile change of venue. He makes no bones about the fact that he likes the spotlight.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
It's my recurring nightmare lately.
Its weird because you can kinda tell who will and wont be a hard negotiation

For the Devils I had/have a gut feeling Nico will be easy and likely a lifer whereas Jack will be tough and maybe leave in FA

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He took a bad PIM yesterday, yes, that's on him. But just before that he was crosschecked himself.

I only blame him for thinking the reffing is going to be consistent and fair as it pertains to him. He is often hooked, and interfered with, but refs look the other way, So It is not, and he should know better, that the Isles rarely get the benefit of the calls.

So he has learn to take it, and not retaliate.

Reactions: Islesfan22

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Its weird because you can kinda tell who will and wont be a hard negotiation

For the Devils I had/have a gut feeling Nico will be easy and likely a lifer whereas Jack will be tough and maybe leave in FA
I always knew the dude was gonna give us headaches in negotiations. He strikes me as a kid who wants to stir the pot. He even said it once this past summer!

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Barzal is kind of in the Sebastian Aho realm.

I'm not sure why these crazy numbers for him are being thrown around. $8.5mill seems like the ballpark. If no one threw a offer sheet at Marner....why is everyone so worried about Barzal? Aho's offer sheet actually helped the canes

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He took a bad PIM yesterday, yes, that's on him. But just before that he was crosschecked himself.

I only blame him for thinking the reffing is going to be consistent and fair as it pertains to him. He is often hooked, and interfered with, but refs look the other way, So It is not, and he should know better, that the Isles rarely get the benefit of the calls.

So he has learn to take it, and not retaliate.

It wasn't that he retaliated that got him the penalty. It's that he gave a second cross check and that cross check hit the guy in the face.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Be interesting to see if Wang's Islander rule ended with his reign or if it's continued of "If a player doesn't have a contract by training camp, he is not eligible to play for the season"

Always loved and supported that rule.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
Hypothetically, with the talks of Fla wanting to break up their core, how do you guys feel about flipping Mat for Barkov?

I love Matty as much as the rest of you guys, but who knows whats truly going to happen when its time to sign him. We all thought Tavares was a sure thing to re-sign, but if talks with Matty don't go as planned and the opportunity arises, is this an avenue we look to go?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hypothetically, with the talks of Fla wanting to break up their core, how do you guys feel about flipping Mat for Barkov?

I love Matty as much as the rest of you guys, but who knows whats truly going to happen when its time to sign him. We all thought Tavares was a sure thing to re-sign, but if talks with Matty don't go as planned and the opportunity arises, is this an avenue we look to go?

Barkov's a ufa in 2+ seasons. Not sure why you think he would be easier to extend then Barzal.
Barzal is four plus yrs from unrestricted free agency.
Either sign him to a 7/8 yr extension that eats up 3-4 ufa yrs or sign him to a 3 yr deal that would leave him a rfa when it expires.

Also,for any fans pissed or disappointed by Barzal's 60 pts in 68 games, might want to check out Nashville's Johansson's 36 pts or Duchene's 42 pts this season.

Last edited:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Barkov's a ufa in 2+ seasons. Not sure why you think he would be easier to extend then Barzal.
Barzal is four plus yrs from unrestricted free agency.
Either sign him to a 7/8 yr extension that eats up 3-4 ufa yrs or sign him to a 3 yr deal that would leave him a rfa when it expires.

Also,for any fans pissed or disappointed by Barzal's 60 pts in 68 games, might want to check out Nashville's Johansson's 36 pts or Duchene's 42 pts this season.

Kind of curious how many points Barkov would be pulling down playing for the NYI this year? Barzal in the right scoring environment would be electrifying every night.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Barzal in the right scoring environment would be electrifying every night.

and I would be surprised if Barzal's reps do not use the argument that in a more wide open system, without a HC stressing defense first, that Barzal would be among the league's scoring leaders.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
and I would be surprised if Barzal's reps do not use the argument that in a more wide open system, without a HC stressing defense first, that Barzal would be among the league's scoring leaders.

I'm sure all parties will expect that. If the season ever resumes MB Will have alot of contract eyes looking in crunch time. Would of been interesting

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Two podcast SPECULATION/RUMORS on this -

Spittin Chiclets with Elliotte Friedman: He believes that Barzal will get an offer sheet this summer. Friedman also hinted that Barzal wants to play more offensively than Trotz allows.

Isles Seat Podcast: BComp said that the negotiation will not be pretty, and will not be surprised if Mat is not present at the beginning of next season's training camp.

Again, take this as you will as both are stating their opinions on the situation.

I just listened to the interview. It wasn't too critical and it was mostly speculation. He also speculated that Lamoriello might do a better job than other GMs since he has a tendency of not overpaying (they referenced Nelson and Lee's contracts as being fair).

Time will tell, but I'm not overly concerned.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad