Mathew Barzal Benched: He knows why

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Good on Barzal. Took it like a man. Shows real maturity. Some young players would pout, but it sounds like he's accepted the feedback and is moving on.

Reactions: crasherino

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Isles has strungling, it was the third game against Rangers , they lost the two first and they collapse agaist Caps (0-5 i third) in rags first game Barzal was -4 in Caps game -3.
Isles had the lead with 4-0 and dont wont to lose, Barzal go for another goal Tortz took him out and put in Cizikas to win the game.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If the opposite of this situation is to have a "LeBron James" type of dynamic appear in the NHL then I'm all for it.
Wayne Gretzky: "Now, at 10 years old, the kids are taught to play in their lanes. Defencemen stay back. Everybody blocks shots. I mean, my goodness, I don’t think I ever blocked a shot, and I killed penalties every single game. I thought goaltenders were paid to block shots, not forwards. It’s changed completely.

I think the biggest thing we’ve lost is a little bit of our creativity and imagination in general."

Reactions: I am toxic

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Trotz is going to take the fun out of Barzal, and turn him in to a boring "system" player like so many else.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
The “He knows why” makes it sound like got caught doing something super naughty.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Good on Barzal. Took it like a man. Shows real maturity. Some young players would pout, but it sounds like he's accepted the feedback and is moving on.
Has there been any report of Barzal responding or addressing the benching? I haven't seen any. I'm somewhat confident that he will take this in stride and, as you suggest, accept the feedback and move on but I don't think anything of that nature has been reported. So while I'm hopeful that he's "taking it like a man", there's nothing out there to suggest he has. And to be clear, there's nothing out there to suggest he's pouting either. As far as I'm aware, there's simply nothing out there. Which is a good thing....he's under no obligation to address an internal team issue to the public at large.

Edit - Didn't see his comments. Agreed with your take.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Players play. Coaches coach. I despise the entire NBA Superstar Culture

Watch rdcworld NBA final skits on LBJ and Cleveland Cavs. They're an obvious exaggeration but funny as hell and kinda reflect the superstar culture in the NBA. If a player in the nhl behaved like some (not all) NBA superstar do they would be blacklisted from the league.

Reactions: Olliemets

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Has there been any report of Barzal responding or addressing the benching? I haven't seen any. I'm somewhat confident that he will take this in stride and, as you suggest, accept the feedback and move on but I don't think anything of that nature has been reported. So while I'm hopeful that he's "taking it like a man", there's nothing out there to suggest he has. And to be clear, there's nothing out there to suggest he's pouting either. As far as I'm aware, there's simply nothing out there. Which is a good thing....he's under no obligation to address an internal team issue to the public at large.

Barzal on that third-period benching: “I was in the wrong. ... We were up 3-0 and we were stressing getting pucks in deep and I had a bit of a mental lapse and then turned the puck over and it almost resulted in a goal against.”

Isles' Barzal on his benching: 'I was in the wrong'

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Man the NHL gotta market Barzal to teenage girls. Didn’t know what he looked like, but that’s a handsome guy. McDavid looks nast lmaoo.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Watch rdcworld NBA final skits on LBJ and Cleveland Cavs. They're an obvious exaggeration but funny as hell and kinda reflect the superstar culture in the NBA. If a player in the nhl behaved like some (not all) NBA superstar do they would be blacklisted from the league.

uh no they wouldn't. players have all the power. i wish nhl players acted like nba players. this structure stuff is boring

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Apparently not for a single play, but an accumulation of them. Starting the third period with the team up 4-0 would be a good time to send a message.
Didnt they just lose last week, up 4 going into the third?..

No lead is safe when your teams scoring is erratic

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Cooper benched Kucherov when the Lightning were losing as well as OT after they tied it up. Was a really strong message to risk a game to prove a point.
To be fair with how Kucherov was playing back then we weren't risking anything.

Reactions: TGWL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->