Mathew Barzal Benched: He knows why

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I think you can turn an average defensive centre into a good defensive centre and a bad defensive centre into an average defensive centre.

I don't think Barzal will ever be a "good" defensive center.

Regardless, as I've said a few times, it's too bad the Isles need him at Centre so bad because in a lot of places he'd be a high flying 85-90 point winger right now and the narrative would be totally different around him.

As a centre, he needs to be on a sheltered scoring line right now. I feel like the Islanders are just exposing him.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'm sure this is the first time a high profile player has been benched for doing something the coach was didn't like ever /eyeroll

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think you can turn an average defensive centre into a good defensive centre and a bad defensive centre into an average defensive centre.

I don't think Barzal will ever be a "good" defensive center.

Regardless, as I've said a few times, it's too bad the Isles need him at Centre so bad because in a lot of places he'd be a high flying 85-90 point winger right now and the narrative would be totally different around him.

As a centre, he needs to be on a sheltered scoring line right now. I feel like the Islanders are just exposing him.

i... I don’t even know where to start with this one

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
i... I don’t even know where to start with this one

It's not very complicated. He's a terrible face off man, often looks overmatched below the dots in his own zone, and isn't an instinctual defensive player. In an ideal situation, I think you'd start him in the NHL at wing or as a sheltered offensive center while he is working on those other parts of his game. It's not like starting a young guy at wing and moving him to center later is a crazy anomolous thing.

I'm not advocating this for the Islanders as their organizational needs require him to play center.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
It's not very complicated. He's a terrible face off man, often looks overmatched below the dots in his own zone, and isn't an instinctual defensive player. In an ideal situation, I think you'd start him in the NHL at wing or as a sheltered offensive center while he is working on those other parts of his game. It's not like starting a young guy at wing and moving him to center later is a crazy anomolous thing.

I'm not advocating this for the Islanders as their organizational needs require him to play center.

His face offs are terrible for sure however, it’s crazy to say he needs to be sheltered when he was basically thrown to the wolves in his second season and led a top 5 team in scoring and will do the same this year (although maybe not a top 5 finish this time). Being overmatched below the dots isn’t his problem, it’s commitment that’s sometimes an issue

watching the games I get why he presses sometimes though. Anders Lee is great but passing to his point in the offensive zone is a free keep for opposing teams which really doesn’t help. I think he’d be more committed on defense if he played with a guy that could move the puck

Last edited:

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I was thinking how while Lou and Trotz are doing amazing work on the Island, the rigid team-first system might cost them Barzal at one point. He's a guy that could be an 80-90 point player who's probably going to have years in the 60s and 70s in this system. We will see how that will go over in contract time this offseason and if he feels like his talent is closer to guys like Matthews and Marner.

Well the Isle pay their guys well for the production. 60-70 pts on Isle is like 80-90 anywhere else

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Trotz is a great coach, and it’s no accident that his teams are so phenomenal defensively, he has great systems and demands that everyone buy in 100%. I’m sure it wasn’t just one play, he’s probably seen that Barzal has been making too many selfish/risky plays in general, and that turnover was just the final straw.

You can bet he has Barzal’s attention now. I fully expect Barzal to take Trotz’s words to heart, play the way Trotz wants him to, and this’ll blow over.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
That's what he was benched for?! 90% of talented players do that at least a couple times a night
That was probably more of the straw that broke the camels back. Barzal has a tendency to not keep it simple and likes to make some high risk plays instead of the smart play. The isles have not been playing good hockey the last few weeks and with them actually winning the game at that point, Trotz probably figured now was the time to finally send the message. Just my guess though

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If that was the play, then jesus Trotz....

Context matters... Last week the Isles lost two games in regulation, after they gave up the lead with less than three minutes. One of those games they were leading Washington by three goals at the start of the third. The Isles kind of hit a wall with 7 games in 11 days, and started to make too many mental errors.

Trotz, basically went into lock-down mode for this final game before break. Clearly, the expectation was the Isles stop shooting themselves in the foot. Which almost happened anyway, thanks to Zorro I mean Scott Mayfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad