Mathew Barzal Benched: He knows why

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Trotz is old school and runs his team like a real team. Team over individuality. Whether that's the best player or the worst. Everyone is treated equal. Barzal was taught a lesson and one, I'm sure he'll not likely repeat again. He'll be fine.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Accountability. This is why Trotz is so important to the islanders. Barzal had 2 points in the game but he started playing a bit too loose and made some questionable decisions. Trotz is great at reeling guys in before they get too out of hand with bad habits. Trotz has turned Barzal into a complete hockey player and when he holds him accountable for things it only makes him better.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and buud

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
Sometimes I feel like the Isles want Barzal to be a product of the system instead of making the most of his talents. It seems like they just want him to dumb down his game and play no differently than a fourth liner. He's by far the most gifted offensive player on the team. Why not find a way to get the most out of him? I don't get it.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I was thinking how while Lou and Trotz are doing amazing work on the Island, the rigid team-first system might cost them Barzal at one point. He's a guy that could be an 80-90 point player who's probably going to have years in the 60s and 70s in this system. We will see how that will go over in contract time this offseason and if he feels like his talent is closer to guys like Matthews and Marner.

winning is more important. We know Barzal
Has the talent to put up 85+ pts. He did it as a rookie. But that year the islanders played with no structure and sucked. They even had Pajama Boy still. Trotz system isn’t conducive to individual stats/points but it works to a degree. Obviously, talented players with get theirs but you hav to do it within the system. That’s why Barzal was benched even though he had 2pts already in the game.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sometimes I feel like the Isles want Barzal to be a product of the system instead of making the most of his talents. It seems like they just want him to dumb down his game and play no differently than a fourth liner. He's by far the most gifted offensive player on the team. Why not find a way to get the most out of him? I don't get it.

I think he could do both. Play responsibly and put up points. Look at Bergeron and Marchand. They do it. I think if you ask most isles fans they will tell you the same thing. While Barzal does need to be more of a finisher he could easily be top5 in assists every year. He’s constantly making great plays and setting his teammates up and putting them in position to score. The isles need more talent.
Backstrom still put up points in Trotz system but he’s playing with OVI Oshie Kuznetsov.

I think both are possible. Isles need more high end talent. Nelson Lee and Eberle are good players but aren’t elite. Hell, it doesn’t have to be a franchise winger. Just a pure shooter with high end skill like Mike Hoffman.

if Panarin would have signed with the islanders he would have been perfect. He and Barzal would have been incredible together and maybe feasted on the PP as well all while still playing within Trotz system.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
I would trust Trotz in doing what is right for the team. The Isles are truly a team > individual organization. I saw the play Barzal made at the end of the period It doesn’t matter if you are the best player on the team or most talented. When you make a high risk play in a game that your team is protecting the lead. It is a good idea to address it right away. The Isles are not a team that props up offensive players. You play an unselfish 2 way game or you don’t play. It is especially hard for gifted offensive players to resist the urge to be creative. But there are times to do it. Barzal was reminded this and the Islanders will be a better team for it.

I think that I get your point and agree with the idea that even a star should play within the system and avoid unnecessary risky plays.

But I hate the the idea that it is great and viable strategy to encourage the creative players to be less creative and make the stupid low risk plays all the time with burning passion and I hope that the teams deploying such strategy never win anything meaningful.

Please give us a league where the best strategy is to get us much as possible out of the skills of the players. Where unpredictable and creativity are at premium that is cultivated and encouraged because that brings the best results.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think that I get your point and agree with the idea that even a star should play within the system and avoid unnecessary risky plays.

But I hate the the idea that it is great and viable strategy to encourage the creative players to be less creative and make the stupid low risk plays all the time with burning passion and I hope that the teams deploying such strategy never win anything meaningful.

Please give us a league where the best strategy is to get us much as possible out of the skills of the players. Where unpredictable and creativity are at premium that is cultivated and encouraged because that brings the best results.

I hope Barzal would rather win 3-1, then lose 7-6.That he realizes they cannot win playing pond hockey.

Trotz said last season that they already knew Barzal could score( they wanted a 200 foot game out of him).
Isles just gave Anders Lee $7m per. I am not expecting them to lowball or try to squeeze Barzal,as they try buy into his ufa yrs this summer.

Reactions: The S5

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
That seems harmless enough. But if it's the coaches order...

Over and over and over.
Barzal had a really good stretch where he didnt do that and instead funneled himself and pucks to the net. He scored most of his goals during that stretch.

Reactions: Eisen

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I would trust Trotz in doing what is right for the team. The Isles are truly a team > individual organization. I saw the play Barzal made at the end of the period It doesn’t matter if you are the best player on the team or most talented. When you make a high risk play in a game that your team is protecting the lead. It is a good idea to address it right away. The Isles are not a team that props up offensive players. You play an unselfish 2 way game or you don’t play. It is especially hard for gifted offensive players to resist the urge to be creative. But there are times to do it. Barzal was reminded this and the Islanders will be a better team for it.

I've seen Marchand and Pastrnak make numerous
stupid high risk low reward plays and nothing happens
to them.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If that was the play, then jesus Trotz....

It may have been the straw that broke the back, I wouldn't assume this was 1 play thing.

I'm very happy with Trotz showing Barzy the tough love. If your hardest on your best players and demand perfection from the stars, that trickles down the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->