Mathew Barzal Benched: He knows why

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
What was the play that got him benched? The play described in the article doesn’t seem that bad?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Hockey is a team game, so I don't see that happening. Teammates would serve the dude humble pie until he's full.

If the opposite of this situation is to have a "LeBron James" type of dynamic appear in the NHL then I'm all for it.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Apparently not for a single play, but an accumulation of them. Starting the third period with the team up 4-0 would be a good time to send a message.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would trust Trotz in doing what is right for the team. The Isles are truly a team > individual organization. I saw the play Barzal made at the end of the period It doesn’t matter if you are the best player on the team or most talented. When you make a high risk play in a game that your team is protecting the lead. It is a good idea to address it right away. The Isles are not a team that props up offensive players. You play an unselfish 2 way game or you don’t play. It is especially hard for gifted offensive players to resist the urge to be creative. But there are times to do it. Barzal was reminded this and the Islanders will be a better team for it.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Trotz is just jealous of people with necks.
I actually found a pic of a teenage Trotz taking a selfie
ADEFD48A-EF38-4F64-B530-C164AC2D0089.jpeg

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I was thinking how while Lou and Trotz are doing amazing work on the Island, the rigid team-first system might cost them Barzal at one point. He's a guy that could be an 80-90 point player who's probably going to have years in the 60s and 70s in this system. We will see how that will go over in contract time this offseason and if he feels like his talent is closer to guys like Matthews and Marner.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I was thinking how while Lou and Trotz are doing amazing work on the Island, the rigid team-first system might cost them Barzal at one point. He's a guy that could be an 80-90 point player who's probably going to have years in the 60s and 70s in this system. We will see how that will go over in contract time this offseason and if he feels like his talent is closer to guys like Matthews and Marner.
This has truly turned into a Lou team. I can see Lou wanting to offer something like $6MM a year based on comparable point totals.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->