Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I think Maty should play with Bailey and Lee right now and with all of the PP shuffle - I cannot see how this is short lived - Maty needs to be on the PP1

Ways to do this would be to move Pulock to the top of the umbrella replacing Leddy - this is the spot where Carlson was on the Caps PP1.
Leddy more a puck carrier than shooter. Pulock should be on the first unit. I suspect things will evolve....

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I happen to disagree here.

Go to the game on the website and go to 2:30:30.

I think the refs should have tossed both of them for two minutes. Holding the stick and roughing. Bad non call before Howden came in with a charge up high that Barzal brought his stick up to defend himself.

Reactions: dood

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If Cizikas wasn't hurt I'd suggest trying Barzal between Flip and Komarov for a game or two.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I happen to disagree here.

Go to the game on the website and go to 2:30:30.

I think the refs should have tossed both of them for two minutes. Holding the stick and roughing. Bad non call before Howden came in with a charge up high that Barzal brought his stick up to defend himself.

You’re not allowed to bring you’re stick up to defend yourself from a hit.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

I know that but you are not allowed to hold a stick and your not allowed to charge a player after he releases the puck. Check out the video at 2:30:30+ and you see a lot of non-calls there. Barzal’s reaction to defend himself instead of getting run over can be excused considering all the prior non calls. His penalty did not happen in a vacuum and just being Blaise and saying it was undisciplined does not consider he was about to get flattened.

Even Butch called it a penalty coming to Howden as his first reaction. Maybe not an impartial observer and I am not either but look at the replay and tell me that wasn’t a hold, roughing an elbow, and a charge prior to the high stick that got called.

If folks want to say Barzal is not being as effective as last year, or earlier in the season, take a look at that sequence. If he is not going to be protected by the refs nor his teammates, it will be a tough season for him as we are seeing.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
it depends. if you hold the stick horizontal, you probably get a penalty. if you hold it vertical, you probably won't. one of our home town heroes used to do just that, and get away with it. an opposing player would come in with his stick in a cross-check motion (horizontal) and he would bring his stick up vertically, to block it. no problem. then he would take his upper hand and sucker punch the guy, and then use his lower hand to give a good whack in the balls with his stick. now THAT, he didn't get away with ;)

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Hasn’t hit his stride yet. We’ve seen stretches where he looks like his rookie year, nothing sustained. He had it so easy last year, playing pond hockey. So he’s adjusting to playing real, professional hockey and increased focus from defense.

As a result, I see a frustrated Barz, giving up on puck battles, and not having as much ‘fun’ as he did a year ago. Maybe this ends up being a transitional year for the young man?

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Hasn’t hit his stride yet. We’ve seen stretches where he looks like his rookie year, nothing sustained. He had it so easy last year, playing pond hockey. So he’s adjusting to playing real, professional hockey and increased focus from defense.

As a result, I see a frustrated Barz, giving up on puck battles, and not having as much ‘fun’ as he did a year ago. Maybe this ends up being a transitional year for the young man?
A transitional year where he averages almost a point or better per game. I could think things could be worse. If you would have told me...subtract pajama boy...and Barzal still averages a point/game, I would be ecstatic. Admittedly, there is still 3/4 of the season left...

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
A transitional year where he averages almost a point or better per game. I could think things could be worse. If you would have told me...subtract pajama boy...and Barzal still averages a point/game, I would be ecstatic. Admittedly, there is still 3/4 of the season left...

I said it in the summer, but I think he finishes w 70-85. In his prime, he should be a consistent 90 pt producer; but he needs to shoot more.

Reactions: frankieboy

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I said it in the summer, but I think he finishes w 70-85. In his prime, he should be a consistent 90 pt producer; but he needs to shoot more.
I concur! The guy has the talent and the shot. And a guy who can shoot is so much more dangerous. The goalie has to play the shot as much as the pass. It will open things up for him.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I concur! The guy has the talent and the shot. And a guy who can shoot is so much more dangerous. The goalie has to play the shot as much as the pass. It will open things up for him.

Absolutely. His passes are telegraphed at this point; everybody knows he’s going to opt for the pass.

He’s got a good wrister, I wonder if he works on that as much as his skating.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trotz talking about benching Barzal for not playing disciplined. I ****ing love it!! Accountability. This is how you coach and teach young players. Barzal will be so much more of a player because he has a coach like this. Sadly Tavares never had this. ****ing love it!!!!

Absolutely. And I also loved his comments on Leo and Val. Not a lot of love by the analytics community, but they bring intangibles that cannot be measured on the ice. Real pros that know how to play the game. That was high praise from Trotz. Not to toot my own horn here, not the intention here. But I told Isles fans Leo would help the Isles, and they would grow to love Leo despite what they may have heard from other fans.

Reactions: TommytheCat

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I know that but you are not allowed to hold a stick and your not allowed to charge a player after he releases the puck. Check out the video at 2:30:30+ and you see a lot of non-calls there. Barzal’s reaction to defend himself instead of getting run over can be excused considering all the prior non calls. His penalty did not happen in a vacuum and just being Blaise and saying it was undisciplined does not consider he was about to get flattened.

Even Butch called it a penalty coming to Howden as his first reaction. Maybe not an impartial observer and I am not either but look at the replay and tell me that wasn’t a hold, roughing an elbow, and a charge prior to the high stick that got called.

If folks want to say Barzal is not being as effective as last year, or earlier in the season, take a look at that sequence. If he is not going to be protected by the refs nor his teammates, it will be a tough season for him as we are seeing.
Not saying Howden wasn't being a pest, but getting baited by pest-type play isn't disciplined, which is the point. Sure, the refs could've called Howden, but they didn't and that doesn't mean you take a penalty while sitting on a lead. Stay disciplined and draw a penalty, let them take themselves out of the game rather than letting them back into it.

It's not a huge deal or a major issue, but it is something to learn from like Trotz said.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Barzal is due for his patented 5 point game, and it seems the rangers will be the victim
Barzal was more effective in Weights open ice system. Last year was about offensive production without the defense. Trotz is not run and gunning it. I don't expect five point nuts. He only has two measly goals

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Not saying Howden wasn't being a pest, but getting baited by pest-type play isn't disciplined, which is the point. Sure, the refs could've called Howden, but they didn't and that doesn't mean you take a penalty while sitting on a lead. Stay disciplined and draw a penalty, let them take themselves out of the game rather than letting them back into it.

It's not a huge deal or a major issue, but it is something to learn from like Trotz said.

Getting baited?

If you have time to pass the puck, look to see you are about to get run over and lift your stick to absorb an impact up high then there is a charging penalty in there. Too much time went by after passing the puck. Barzal would have gotten creamed there. Howden was comin in fast from his own zone. I fault the refs for that non-call.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Getting baited?

If you have time to pass the puck, look to see you are about to get run over and lift your stick to absorb an impact up high then there is a charging penalty in there. Too much time went by after passing the puck. Barzal would have gotten creamed there. Howden was comin in fast from his own zone. I fault the refs for that non-call.
I mean, there was all the stuff that happened right before that play as well, which was definitely getting baited and that Barzal could've been called for as well. But yes, Howden's play got Barzal to take an unnecessary penalty -- if you'd like to use a different word than baited, be my guest, but the point remains. There are ways to avoid a hit without getting your stick up illegally, players do it all the time. I'm not saying the refs made all the right calls before that moment; I just don't think refs missing calls means a player is free to make an undisciplined play that puts the team in a bad spot and I don't have a problem with Trotz trying to teach his players that. Refs will miss calls, it's part of the game, but you still have to stick to the coach's gameplan.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Didn’t realize that he’s a - 10. You take the bad w the good; he turns the puck over a lot, but he also creates a lot of turnovers.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
It will be interesting to see if this statistic improves. Remember that Trotz is evaluating and learning about his team and is Barzal is still developing as an NHL player.

-10 will not continue as a trend. I would say most would agree that Barzal will not end up -38 for the season and remember he was -1 after last season.

I expect Trotz and staff continue to work with Barzal on his defensive game and he will pick his spots and matchups in the future. I expect Barzal to finish better than -10 for the season.

It has already been stated this stat is not great at showing a players performance and if people want to emphasize -10 then also emphasize he has improved already going -7 is his first 7 games and -3 in his last 15 games.

Reactions: dood and mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
It will be interesting to see if this statistic improves. Remember that Trotz is evaluating and learning about his team and is Barzal is still developing as an NHL player.

-10 will not continue as a trend. I would say most would agree that Barzal will not end up -38 for the season and remember he was -1 after last season.

I expect Trotz and staff continue to work with Barzal on his defensive game and he will pick his spots and matchups in the future. I expect Barzal to finish better than -10 for the season.

It has already been stated this stat is not great at showing a players performance and if people want to emphasize -10 then also emphasize he has improved already going -7 is his first 7 games and -3 in his last 15 games.[/QUOTE

Some folks should take a look at Stevie Y's plus minus stats his 1st four seasons in the NHL. Barzal is a stud and processing things along with Trotz and company. Looking for a bust out game very soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->