Confirmed with Link: Matheson suspended 2 games for hit on Pettersson

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Imagine saying Domi didnt deserve suspension to being ok with this though.

I thought the analysis was pretty fair. It's true. There are guys like EP who are skilled enough but not physically mature enough. EP will get lit up again this season, guaranteed. It's totally unrealistic to expect someone that light and weak to make it through an 82 game season.

Reactions: Rahooji

peterbiz09

Jun 24, 2012
Miami, FL
I think it's a fair suspension. The slam was stupid. Getting Weegar some playing time might not be the worst thing either.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I thought the analysis was pretty fair. It's true. There are guys like EP who are skilled enough but not physically mature enough. EP will get lit up again this season, guaranteed. It's totally unrealistic to expect someone that light and weak to make it through an 82 game season.

His analysis WAS fair. But he was also victim blaming Ekblad for the sucker punch he took and saying no suspension should have been given.

He cant have it both ways, whether his analysis was right or not.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Absolute joke. Typical hockey punished for the result. As u can see in the boychuk video this is a very common play. Only thing uncommon about it is nhl players very rarely get manhandled to that degree or with that much ease. Dops continues to be a joke

Reactions: Makar27 and Rahooji

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I dont like the slam either to be honest. I dont mind him getting a game. He needs to be scratched anyway.

Yeah this will actually just benefit him, he has sucked ass.

And lets get this out if the way.

Matheson stands zero chance against Guds. None. He would get the red knocked out of his head in one blow. Either drop the gloves and turtle or scratch the bastard.

That's the funny thing about fan reaction here. "Petterson got concussed so we'll send a guy to punch Matheson's lights out so he'll get one too!"

Yeah ok...

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I doubt much will happen in Vancouver. Would be pretty contrived to go after him a few months later.

May make sense to scratch Matheson if the game gets hyped up by lunatic cry baby Vancouver fans and biased Canada hockey media.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I go with the 3 Guys from TSN Toronto. Who said the explanation is a Joke over all.

1st there cant be an Interference, sin e the Puck was there and he played. Bob says he was late, how can it be late when the Puck is played 1-2 second before the Check. So he played the puck player in Motion= Interference. That means double standards or new Standards but then we will have more suspension incoming. Don´t forget Interference is the explanation for the suspension.

Then the unsportsmanline Conduct. Matheson placeing a Check and makeing a sign, that is an usual play in the NHL. When you include then, then petterson is 20-30 Pounds lighter then his opponent Players in the whole League. how you ever can call that then unsportsmanlike. When Marchand was liking some opponent Players Face, twice in the Playoffs, that wa not an unsportsmanlike conduct.
So yes here again, we have a double standard call. And i would now follow the whole Situation, what happens to the next Player that Hits Petterson a bit rougher.
Let it be a Star like Big Buff, Chara or who ever will they also get that suspension? I hope so, otherwise there would be a fact for double Standard in this League.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I doubt much will happen in Vancouver. Would be pretty contrived to go after him a few months later.

May make sense to scratch Matheson if the game gets hyped up by lunatic cry baby Vancouver fans and biased Canada hockey media.

And when something happens then let it happen, but believe me that isnt the last Time we will see Petterson laying on the Ice. And then i would ask myself. Against how many teams im willed to fight or give them something back.
That is why the Panthers Organisation was sending Heppo to Finnland to get some Weight on, that something like this won´t happen. It happen with Gaudreau before and non suspension was called are a fight was brought up. Cause that is the Danger you face when you go in the NHL with low weight.

I go with it, this whole Situation was build from Fans and Sportsmedia out of Canada and nothing else.

Reactions: RainingRats

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I agree.

If Borg made the team and this happened to him, we would be livid.

Two games is fair to me

No if Borg had this happen to him I would be pissed that the Panthers decided he was physically able to handle the rigors of NHL hockey.

If a younger or smaller guy wants to play in the NHL, they have to be ready for the physicality. I am willing to be 95% of other players would not have been nearly as manhandled as Pettersson was in this play. Are guys supposed to lighten up now based on the size of their opponent? That's just ridiculous. I've watched the video many times now and still am not sure if Pettersson's head hits the ice. This was basically roughing, but the other guy is a lightweight in comparison and it didn't end in his favor.

I'm all for fast skilled play and I love that the league is focused more on that than the goon, rock em sock em Don Cherry era, but hockey is still a physical sport. There are no weight classes in the NHL, if you step onto the ice at 165lbs soaking wet and go against guys that are 200lbs or more, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

This is what I thought as well. If it wasn’t Matheson it was going to be someone else.

Reactions: RainingRats

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I can't help but feel like this is a 2 minute roughing call at most. Probably doesn't even warrant a game misconduct. Maybe I watched too much hockey in my lifetime.

Stupid move, yes. Suspendable, nah.

How can Buff get off cross checking dude in the back of the head into the boards? Or Marchand dropping his gloves to start punching dude? Too funny.

-ghoste

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
2 games is fair. The kid got concussed... Hope it does Mike well. He has been horrible. He's better then how he's played.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yeah I'm totally cool with Matheson being suspended. I just wish that when it was our guys getting hurt by someone, the league would actually give a damn and hand out a suspension as well (and no, preseason games don't count.)

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Yeah I'm totally cool with Matheson being suspended. I just wish that when it was our guys getting hurt by someone, the league would actually give a damn and hand out a suspension as well (and no, preseason games don't count.)

That might be bugging me as well. If the roles were reversed and Math got pushed down like that, the only ones talking about it would be our very own Panthers board. Not the country of Canada or DoPS. Again, it's pretty funny.

-ghoste

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015

The message from the league is clear. If you want to see smaller skillful players out on the ice, get the enforcers back in the game, cause the league will not protect them.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Something tells me if that hit wasn't on a young rising stat like Pettersson we wouldn't have seen a suspension even if the player was concussed.

Forget what show pointed it out but Orlov got hit in a very similar manner this week, he just got up and skated away. No supsension no penalty, nothing.

The only thing that looks remotely bad is Matheson's left arm sort of pushing/punching on the way down.

I think a roughing call would have been appropriate but the league wants to protect their young stars even if they perhaps arent ready for the physical play of the NHL.

I hope for Pettersson's sake the Canucks don't make the playoffs this year or else he may get killed.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
And lets get this out if the way.

Matheson stands zero chance against Guds. None. He would get the red knocked out of his head in one blow. Either drop the gloves and turtle or scratch the bastard.
Matheson has nothing to fear from Gudbranson. Gudbranson is the last guy on the canucks roster that will do anything to him, expect Roussel or Schaller to step up if anyone does, which is doubtful. The Canucks are very, very soft and have zero team spirit. They're a collection of overpaid journeyman pros with no identity.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Guds won’t do anything it will be someone in mathesons weight class he will have to fight and then it will be done

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Guds won’t do anything it will be someone in mathesons weight class he will have to fight and then it will be done
Weight class doesn't come into it. I can't speak to the Gudbranson that played for the Panthers, but the Vancouver version isn't a team player and doesn't stick up for his teammates. The reason he won't do anything to Matheson is that it isn't in his nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->