Confirmed with Link: Matheson suspended 2 games for hit on Pettersson

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
There has been a lot worse than that Math hit. Shoot, Buff drilled a guy into the boards from behind a week ago and nothing. Even Domi socking Ek in the face is worse and he didn't even get a real game. It doesn't help that it is a man's body v. a kid's body either. Oh well, if he gets suspended so be it.

-ghoste

Reactions: Boothinator

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Phone hearing is anywhere from 1-5 games, so a short suspension is coming up. This is fine, I didn't like the bodyslam and he should be sitting due to his play anyways. Hopefully he's through his October swoon when he comes back.

Reactions: Boothinator

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Phone hearing is anywhere from 1-5 games, so a short suspension is coming up. This is fine, I didn't like the bodyslam and he should be sitting due to his play anyways. Hopefully he's through his October swoon when he comes back.

I think Matheson was still pissed over the semi-slew foot he got with 11:15 left in the second. Pettersson dumped him when they were in a race for the puck.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Question, i read alot around the Net a lot of Discussion how long Matheson will be suspended. After he slammed Petterson on the Ice and he lived with a Concussion.
Matheson will have an hearing about the Situation and a lot of TSN, SN Experts spreading the Anger around.
But the Question is here. How long will Matheson suspended, i think also he will be Suspended, but only for the Body Slam and the Injury afterwards.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Question, i read alot around the Net a lot of Discussion how long Matheson will be suspended. After he slammed Petterson on the Ice and he lived with a Concussion.
Matheson will have an hearing about the Situation and a lot of TSN, SN Experts spreading the Anger around.
But the Question is here. How long will Matheson suspended, i think also he will be Suspended, but only for the Body Slam and the Injury afterwards.

Big deal only because Petterson was injuried. Matheson should not be suspended. The hit was clean and the slamming deserved a roughing penality, but that's it.

If Petterson gets up not injuried, we're not talking about it right now.

If Matheson is suspended, even if it's 1 game, then Domi should have been suspended for life.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give him 1-3 games since the NHL is a joke in that department, but my guess is that he's not going to be suspended.

Reactions: pantherbot

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Big deal only because Petterson was injuried. Matheson should not be suspended. The hit was clean and the slamming deserved a roughing penality, but that's it.

If Petterson gets up not injuried, we're not talking about it right now.

If Matheson is suspended, even if it's 1 game, then Domi should have been suspended for life.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give him 1-3 games since the NHL is a joke in that department, but my guess is that he's not going to be suspended.

Suspend him for the preseason next year. :sarcasm:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Doubt he gets a suspension.
Pretty common play that I don’t find dirty other than being way stronger for a physically immature petterson

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

So NHL suspensions are impossible to guess because there is no consistency. As it's a phone hearing it could be as little as a 5000 fine, or a 1-5 game suspension. I'll guess 2 games, but NHL Wheel of Justice the wheel says 1.

Holy crap are the Canucks fans losing their minds over this. Imagine if somebody ran Pettersson the way Hendricks ran Ekblad?

They have a large fanbase, it also doesn't help the Mike Matheson isn't a household name and a lot of their fans think he's a pee-wee player (granted he's played like one so far this year) :laugh:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If petersson wasn't so weak it probably wouldn't have even mattered. Matheson probably wanted to throw him down but didn't expect him to fold like a tissue.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He'll get at least a game or two. Really it's no different that a hip check when a guy goes head over heals and lands on his head. He got smooshed against the the glass, lifted up and push dropped on his head. Easy to do when a guy weighs 165. If there is such a thing as unnecessary roughness (I guess they could use roughing with intent to injure) like the NFL, then yeah.......it's a penalty. :(

Last edited:

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
These men play a rough sport. Hits can be hard and sometimes players get injured. Intent really doesn’t matter.

At the end of the day I’d prefer it if Matheson continues to remind players of that.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
He'll get at least a game or two. Really it's no different that a hip check when a guy goes head over heals and lands on his head. He got smooshed against the the glass, lifted up and push dropped on his head. Easy to do when a guy weighs 165. If there is such a thing as unnecessary roughness (I guess they could use roughing with intent to injure) like the NFL, then yeah.......it's a penalty. :(
I agree with you Dr. Brokin.

If he had landed on his bum or back, this play wouldn't even be in gif form.

I think we can all agree, had Borg made the team, if this happened to him we'd be livid.

1-3 games in my eyes. League needs to start handing out tougher punishment and protecting players.

MM won't make this mistake again if he sits a few

Reactions: The Brodatype

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad